I want my Tech license too! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGClips

OK, so I decided to give it a try and take the Technician License test in the second half of this month. I already signed up with my info and sent it to the organizers.

The problem is, that I only started to read the free Tech study material I've found online, which I feel to be pretty hard and I have serious doubts that I can learn all that stuff in such a short time. Perhaps I shouldn't have signed up just yet? I don't know... :-/

The phrases, names of the components, the calculations, the various terms with their meanings with actual applications of what they do, is pretty overwhelming. Then come the rules and regulations, frequencies, what to do and what not, etc... as I just ran through this material, is a LOT to memorize for sure!

I can't even imagine that newbies like myself can actually remember and comprehend everything that's covered in this rather complex academic style material. So I'm uncertain at this moment if I'll be able to pass this test or not.

However, now that I made my decision, I will go for it. I'll read this study guide, then read it again and again, read the question pool too, then take the online practice tests, even downloaded an app on my phone to help me prepare when/if I have a bit of time while travelling, and see what happens when the day comes.

But one thing is for sure; learning all this will NOT be easy, like some suggested it.

Meanwhile, I'd like to read about the actual experiences of newly licensed Technician guys. What was the whole thing like, what happened at the test, any good advice regarding preparation, taking the test and such. Were there trick questions that can be confusing? Is a calculator necessary to take to the test? Was it a pre-made test sheet or the organizers picked the questions? How much time was given? Etc.

Please share your experiences, so newbies like me can learn from it. Thanks!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
These are the only tests that I know of where you are given the exact questions and answers. Study a book like Gordon West's, take the online practice exams and you will make it. You are not obligated to take the test you signed up for. You can show up at any testing session "when you are ready" and take the test. You do not need a calculator for the Technician test.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
You will have to study, study and study so more.

As mentioned above, Gordon West is a good start. You need to know what your frequencies are for tech license, some ohm's law (the very basic math), the FCC's law, international law (to a lesser degree), SAFETY, antennas, etc. It may seem overwhelming, but with practice/study, you will get it. Oh, did I mention to study?
Just have faith in yourself to learn.
Forgot some of your questions.
You can bring a calculator as long as the memory has been erased, the test questions are random from the pool of 426, there's no real time limit, the VEs are usually very friendly people and will answer questions that you may have. Be sure to take about 2 pencils with erasers. And there aren't any trick questions, they are what you studied, nothing else. Yes it is a premade test. If there's several people taking the tech test, they will each have different questions. And the VEs will watch you, not so much to catch you cheating, but if you have a problem or need help.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Mr. GClips, it wouldn't hurt to learn a little about electronics and electricity. If you want a license just to say you have a license, it doesn't matter. If you want a license to use it on the air, it will help you when buy, install and use the radio. A basic understanding of things like impedance, wave lengths, propagation, standing wave ratio, etc., will help a great deal.

AC2OY

Mr G relax you can do this trust me!!! I bought the Tecnician's book read it then I bought ham test online and everyday I took practice exams. I would read through the book or Gordos book then keep taking practice exams and little by little you will improve your proficiency. That is how I passed all three elements. I did it so you can too!

Last edited:

MrGClips

I stayed up late last night, got up early morning and just finished reading the first material, the "No-Nonsense General Class License Study Guide", but I can tell you guys, I've got a headache. :D There is so much stuff in here for a newbie, I'm gonna have to read it a few more times before I really understand this stuff, or at least most of it. :)

If anyone else needs it, here is the link for this FREE Guide:
Web page: No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog
Direct Link to the Guide: http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

Next one is the Question Pool: NCVEC - 2014-2018 Technician Question Pool
Man, there are a ton of questions in this for sure. Hundreds of 'em! :D

I also checked out that phone app, which is similar to this guide. I think the app will be the most useful (for me) memorizing the answers. LINK: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iversoft.ham.test.prep&hl=en

There is a LOT to learn for sure! A lot more than I anticipated, but interesting stuff all together.

I still have plenty of time till the test day, so I think I can get ready. But I wouldn't call this stuff "easy", especially if someone is not into electronics or engineering. Not easy at all. And this is just the Technician Class! WOW! :D ... I'm already wondering what the General Class is like?! Hmmm.... :)

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
I used the same site as Reconrider8 to study for my Technician, General, and Extra exams (NOT all at the same time). Yes, it's a question / answer site. You won't learn the theory through the site. However, they have done EXTREMELY WELL with their repetition model. It's doesn't just randomly repeat questions you miss, it appears to do so in a fashion that really does help you memorize the material in a very efficient manner (i.e. quickly). I looked at and tried numerous different sites for online prep and none were as good as HamTestOnline (no even close, really). There are some things in life where you get what you pay for. This is one of those things. For me, it was money well spent.

Re: actually learning the theory, the HamTestOnline site does have a little theory along with the answers, but it's very little.. My 2p worth: use some of the excellent books, like ones from Gordon West, just as an example (I'm not a Gordon West employee, etc.) to learn the electronics. You can always use HamTestOnline to prep for the tests, then use books AFTER you get your ticket. For me, one of the great things about ham radio are the life long learning opportunities. I'm not an electronics engineer, but through ham radio and help from others in the ham community, I've learned a lot along the way. It's been a really fun ride, and learning the theory is just part of the fun.

I also have a few other suggestions re: preparing for the tests. Remember, these are just MY suggestions:

1. Prep only for the Technician exam, but as long as you're already there, take all 3 exams. There's no penalty (or additional fee) for taking the other exams. It will give you an idea of what to expect for the General and Extra exams. If you try to prep for all 3, you're putting yourself under a LOT of stress.

2. Take the exam immediately after finishing your prep study, regardless of what method you use to prepare. You'll do better when the material is fresh in your mind.

3. Get a good night's sleep the night before the exam.

4. Use the same approach for your General and Extra exams as you used for the Technician exam. Changing the way you learn the material mid-stream changes the way your brain absorbs the material. Take your time, find an approach that you like and that works for you, then stick with it.

5. Once you start, keep going. I.e., get your Technician, then immediately move on to learning the General, take and pass the General, then move on to the Extra. Once you're in the learn / test mode keep your pace.

Good luck. It's not really as scary as it seems.

73 - David, AG4F

fredg

Premium Subscriber
I helped my then 8 year old son study for about 3 weeks... I believe he only missed one (I was watching carefully while they scored his test) the examiner couldn't believe it. (he is 14 now)

So if an 8 year old can do it I bet you can too!! :) (Of course he is a bit of a prodigy)

prerunner1982

I stayed up late last night, got up early morning and just finished reading the first material, the "No-Nonsense General Class License Study Guide",

Perhaps studying the Technician Class license study guide would be a bit easier for you?

I used the same study guides that you are with success. I read through it once, then I re-read it and wrote down the info that I hadn't remembered from the previous reading (writing it down may help remember). I then re-read the material one or two more times before I even looked at a practice test that way the wrong answers weren't already in my head and the correct answers jumped out at me.

Good luck I am sure you will do fine.

MrGClips

This is what I did, which I think will help:
- Downloaded the Question Pool in the *.doc format.
- Opened with editor, then DELETED all the WRONG answers.
- Saved it, and started to read it like this! :D

I figured this way I can avoid messing up my mind with reading all the wrong answers. Now I can visualize and remember the correct ones ONLY. :)

Thank you everyone for the responses, the comments are very useful. Hopefully other newbies read it as well and find the courage to start preparing for the Technician license, just like me! :D

KC4RAF

That's one way to do it, but

you are remembering only the correct answers, and not the scope of the questions. An example would be the reason WHY you don't make a sharp 90 degree bend in the towers grounding circuit. So be sure to study the reasons for the answers. It all seems to be way above your head at the moment, but rest assured it'll all come together a little later.
And why we don't make sharp 90s in wire? One reason is it stresses the insulation if it has that. The big reason is that a bolt of lightning will not take a sharp bend and blow out at the bend, not going to the ground rod(s).

MrGClips

you are remembering only the correct answers, and not the scope of the questions. An example would be the reason WHY you don't make a sharp 90 degree bend in the towers grounding circuit. So be sure to study the reasons for the answers. It all seems to be way above your head at the moment, but rest assured it'll all come together a little later.
And why we don't make sharp 90s in wire? One reason is it stresses the insulation if it has that. The big reason is that a bolt of lightning will not take a sharp bend and blow out at the bend, not going to the ground rod(s).

Yes, of course, you are absolutely right! I definitely need to read the study material several times more to truly understand it, because I am very confused about a lot of things and can't even remember most of it.

I don't just want to read and memorize the right answers in the question pool and "cheat" like that, but associate the answers with the information in the study guide, so I can truly comprehend everything. This way, using both sources I can learn all the important and correct information, which will hopefully help me memorize and apply the knowledge, as well as filter out the incorrect answers during the test.

I'm feeling excited already! But I'm NOT ready, so tonight is going to be a long reading night again.

k6cpo

As someone who's been a VE for three years and a team leader for six months, I've seen no one method of study that works for everyone. There are so many resources available that everyone wishing to become an amateur radio operator should be able to find one that works for them.

That said, I've found that the Gordon West books give the best explanation of why a particular answer to a question is the correct one. The ARRL books do a good job of explaining the material, but require the reader to research a particular answer on their own. Together, the two resources work very well in examination preparation.

prerunner1982

I stayed up late last night, got up early morning and just finished reading the first material, the "No-Nonsense General Class License Study Guide",

Perhaps studying the Technician Class license study guide would be a bit easier for you?

What I was getting at here is are you studying the right guide?
You said you are studying the General Class License study guide but are going for your Tech license.

I could assume that it was just a typo on your part, but would feel bad if I didn't point it out and you did study the whole General class study guide for your Technician exam, though the info is good to know it would appear to be causing you unneeded stress if that is the case.

MrGClips

What I was getting at here is are you studying the right guide?
You said you are studying the General Class License study guide but are going for your Tech license.

I could assume that it was just a typo on your part, but would feel bad if I didn't point it out and you did study the whole General class study guide for your Technician exam, though the info is good to know it would appear to be causing you unneeded stress if that is the case.

Oh, yes, that WAS a typo! Definitely!!! :D

Or, maybe it was "faith" and I should also study for the General when I'm more confident in the Technician guide? Nah, I'm nowhere near that yet. :)

Attachments

• 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 431

KC4RAF

You'll do just fine.

Should you have a question that you can not find an answer for, just get on the net or this forum and ask away.
You will hear of people who just breezed by their test; rest assured that person had to start some where and THEY too found it a rough road to travel! Generally those people have training in electronics and that helps.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
...I've seen no one method of study that works for everyone. There are so many resources available that everyone wishing to become an amateur radio operator should be able to find one that works for them.
I agree on both points.

I really do not recommend memorizing the correct answers except as an absolute last resort. An amateur radio operator really needs to learn this material, in my opinion. It will make them a better operator, help them make informed decisions about the equipment they buy for their station, and help them troubleshoot problems when they occur.

I came into amateur radio with a bit of a technical background and my approach to studying for the Technician test was this: I sat down with the study guide (ARRL's "Now Your're Talking") and answered every question in the question pool at the back of the book. I then graded my own test and marked every question I got wrong. I then went back to the book and studied the material that pertained to the questions I had answered incorrectly. I then went to a VE session and aced the test.

WA2E

It helps to actually understand the material you are studying. However, if you get your tech license and are into Amateur Radio you will learn. Through actual using what ever radio you use. Talking with others, attending club meetings etc. You will progress and be successful. Give it time.

Mike WA2E

reconrider8

Yup first thing you need to do is learn radio theory. Like how repeaters work, simplex, duplex, sporatic e and skip, stuff like that first. Push come to shove if you don't think your ready just tell him that and if he's local ask him if he can be a mentor for you and have him teach you what you don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.