calculator and general test

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Im taking the general test next month and I was wondering what type of calculator I can use? The tech test I had no issues with the math but the general practice tests Im having some issues and the VE said we can bring a calculator. What calculator could be used to do some of the math on the general test?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Generally, a simple four-function (add, subtract, multiply, divide) calculator the best choice for taking to a amateur radio exam session. Programmable calculators are generally not accepted unless you can prove that there is nothing programmed into the calculator. If the calculator has a memory function, you will be asked to clear it. A calculator app on your cell phone is generally not accepted.

pengyou1

I just tested for the Tech and General and had a TI model 30 scientific calculator, got for $9 on A-Z. Used it for one question on the general, and only needed simple math. Could have done it in my head in the same time.

For the Extra, I think it may come in handier, but with these exams you should know the answers already. Work through the book, understand the principle, and then drill on the practice exams. Going in and doing everything from scratch makes no sense.

K4EET

Chaplain
Cellphone calculators are explicitly prohibited. I took my TI-36 Scientific in for the Extra Exam and did not need it. The math was easily doable in the old noggin... So even the most basic calculator is all you really need for any test.

73, Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.