Newbie in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg5ntv

Hello all! New ham from Texas here. Passed my Tech a few weeks ago, and passed my General this past weekend, net month onto Extra! Anyway, figured I would say hi. Located in FAR WEST Texas. Have yet to make a contact yet, all I have right now is a UV-5R, shopping for a decent dual band mobile now, hopefully will have one up and running in the next few weeks. Anyway, looking forward to meeting some of you on the air sometime.

KC5AKB

Welcome to the Fun . You might look around this week and see if any of the clubs
Are having field day in your area or if you have a phone number to where you took
Your test call and ask them where'some up comming Field Day sites are. It is a good chance to look at different ideas and
Get on the air .
Congrats and depending on where you are you might even want to look into Hf
10-160 meters.

K4EET

Chaplain
Congrats on passing the Tech and General exams! And welcome to the Ham Radio (or Amateur Radio) hobby. A lifetime of fun and things to do. Call me if you hear me on HF one day.

73, Dave K4EET

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
You are moving FAST. I know a tech who has been a tech for more than 20 years, of course he is not much of a ham. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

kg5ntv

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Hoping to properly get on the air soon. So far just doing lots of listening while I research radios and installs. Looking forward to meeting new friends on the air.

kg5ntz

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Hoping to properly get on the air soon. So far just doing lots of listening while I research radios and installs. Looking forward to meeting new friends on the air.

kg5ntz

that's the main thing about being a HAM, get ON THE AIR and use the radio. you will have more than 150 contacts within a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy!!!!!!!!!

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

kg5ntz

just looked up your QRZ page. you should start building it. go to mine if you want to see some of the neat things you can put on it based on what you DO with radio. you can do much more than just post group logos. check mine out for ideas. 73

k6cpo

Hello all! New ham from Texas here. Passed my Tech a few weeks ago, and passed my General this past weekend, net month onto Extra! Anyway, figured I would say hi. Located in FAR WEST Texas. Have yet to make a contact yet, all I have right now is a UV-5R, shopping for a decent dual band mobile now, hopefully will have one up and running in the next few weeks. Anyway, looking forward to meeting some of you on the air sometime.

If you are planning on taking the Extra exam next month (July) make sure you are studying the correct question pool. The current Amateur Extra question pool expires on June 30, 2016 and the new question pool goes into effect July 1, 2016.

KE0GXN

Welcome to the hobby Jason! You have come to right place for amateur radio advice and info. Great site here with plenty of knowledgeable folks who are more than wiling to help anyone out.

Hope to catch you on the air sometime!

kg5ntv

Thanks for the warm welcomes. k6cpo, I made sure I was studying the proper questions I was actually thinking of taking me extra sooner, but since I was already studying the july questions, I am just going to wait out the change, then test.

osros

Feed Provider
Congrats! Ill be joining you shortly, 30 years of Scanner & SW listening and now I'm finally going for it myself..

In using a study guide book, which has all the questions but where do I find the current ones used monthly?

KE0GXN

Congrats! Ill be joining you shortly, 30 years of Scanner & SW listening and now I'm finally going for it myself..

In using a study guide book, which has all the questions but where do I find the current ones used monthly?

I used Gordon West's books for both my tickets. Currently using the new Extra book now to upgrade.

First one I checked out of my local library. I liked it so much, I actually bought his General and now the new Extra book.

Along with taking the practice exams on HamStudy.org, I practically aced both my tickets, with only about a month of studying of each book.

Going to take my time with the Extra though, the new book is good till 2020. ;)

Good luck with whatever study route you decide to go with!

Status
Not open for further replies.