New Ham in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE8EYM

I just passed my General 2 weeks ago and am looking forward to being part of the Ham radio community. I have yet to make a contact but I am excited about doing so. It seems like there is a ton of knowledge and experience here so I am also looking forward to learning more about all of this. I just have a cheap Baofeng radio right now but I am in the process of building a antenna (J-pole) to help me get out a little better.

Anyway, looking forward to the getting involved!

AC2OY

Congratulations and welcome. Just curious you passed technician and general at the same time? Very well done. You have some nice HF privileges now!! There's a lot of fun to be had on HF.

KE8EYM

Thanks AC2OY. I actually took my Technician's test 3 weeks before. I had always wanted to get into Ham but never really knew much about it. I was always intrigued by the guys with SSB way back in the CB hay days. So I just decided a couple months ago to get involved. Been fun so far even without making contact. I have tried to hit our local repeater on the Tuesday night net but I think I had my radio configured wrong. I could hear them but they couldn't hear me when I called in. I think I had the offset set wrong but it is fixed now....I think. It ain't easy being a newbie! :)

bharvey2

Congrats on the new license. I was going to suggest that you test the waters with DMR (one of the digital modes) since you are in the Flint area but as you're moving soon, there may not be in DMR repeaters around Gaylord. I did see at least one DStar repeater around Gaylord (www.repeaterbook.com) so that could be an option.The digital modes will allow you to make some long distance contacts quite readily.

n4fo

Congratulations on your license! What caught my attention was your callsign. I was originally KA8EYM back in the late 70s when I first got my license. After I moved to four land I got my current call.

All the best to you and enjoy this wonderful hobby!

N4FO, ex KA8EYM

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Congrats on the new license. I was going to suggest that you test the waters with DMR (one of the digital modes) since you are in the Flint area but as you're moving soon, there may not be in DMR repeaters around Gaylord. I did see at least one DStar repeater around Gaylord (www.repeaterbook.com) so that could be an option.The digital modes will allow you to make some long distance contacts quite readily.
I will 2nd the DMR and D-star if you have any repeaters in your area the Digital mode are pretty fun to use....

Status
Not open for further replies.