RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators - New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2017, 3:44 PM

Default FRN -- How Long to Receive One?

Is your FRN instantly issued on the FCC website, or is there some delay? I'm going in for my tests on Saturday and I don't want to file for one if it's going to take longer than that to receive.

Is there any actual advantage to getting an FRN over using your SSN for an individual applicant? I was told there was, but the explanation I received at the time wasn't very clear.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2017, 5:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOwnThinkTank View Post
Is your FRN instantly issued on the FCC website, or is there some delay? I'm going in for my tests on Saturday and I don't want to file for one if it's going to take longer than that to receive.

Is there any actual advantage to getting an FRN over using your SSN for an individual applicant? I was told there was, but the explanation I received at the time wasn't very clear.

Thanks for any help!
If you don't have an FRN in advance of your testing date, you will fill out an application for one at the testing site before you take the test.

The FCC requires all licensees to have an FRN now, regardless of license type. My FRN is referenced on both my amateur license and on my GMRS license. If I were to apply for any kind of station license in my name, the same FRN would be used. Similarly, agencies that hold station licenses have FRN's. My town used to have two FRNs and two station licenses. When I began coordinating radio stuff for them, I consolidated both licenses under one FRN. It makes it much easier to work in the FCC's online systems.

IIRC, FRN's are issued immediately online when you submit the application.
Old 01-17-2017, 2:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Thanks for any help!
I don't know which VEC you'll be testing with, but mine requires you to have an FRN before you can test. We will not deal with SSNs at all...

When you register for your FRN online, the FRN is issued immediately. When people show up at out test sessions without an FRN we point them toward getting one using their phones or tablets. They usually have it within a minute or two.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Let me explain it this way: if a bad person steals your social security number, that person can steal your personal information, ALL your money, YOUR identity.

If that same person steals your FRN, that person has nothing. If you set it up correctly, only you will have access to the information contained in the FRN.

As an aside, some of the ancient hams in our club call it the Federal Radio Number. One ham can recite his Army serial number, all his weapon serials, his helicopter serial number and his FRN. I can barely remember where I live when I leave the house and return.
Old 01-25-2017, 4:25 PM

I've been having trouble posting here (even with multiple tries) for some reason, but if this goes, here's the update:

The FRN was issued instantaneously and I went to the test and passed Technician and General last Saturday. Waiting now for a callsign, which I was told will take 7-10 days.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I've been having trouble posting here (even with multiple tries) for some reason, but if this goes, here's the update:

The FRN was issued instantaneously and I went to the test and passed Technician and General last Saturday. Waiting now for a callsign, which I was told will take 7-10 days.

Thanks!
Congratulations. Welcome to the waves.