I would like to get my Technician ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1594

Hello I want to study online and get my Technician ticket I am new to Ham radio but would like to get into the hobby as well as learn as I go my question is or questions Do I have to study that whole question pool of 400 questions? I tried searching the forums and it’s all older posts from 2010 and 2011 also where can I find the most up to date test to study up on? Thanks everyone

Chris1594

Your focus should not be on the questions per say but understanding what you are learning.

That’s what I’m doing is studying the concept to each question and I ordered some study guides I want to understand all aspects as I go.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Eham is a pretty good one if you're using a computer. I used it 14 years ago when I got my ticket eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams

If you have an Android phone 'ham test prep" is a good one and is available in the play store. Im sure there's an iOS app as well. And like pb Lonny said it's good to focus on what you're learning. Anyone can memorize the questions and take the test. And to be completely honest I'm sure everyone has several questions like that when they do take it. It will serve you better in the long run to actually learn why the correct answer is correct. Also it can't hurt to look and find a local club for some help if you need it. There's tons of knowledge on this website and tons of people who are happy to help but sometimes having a person to explain things makes it easier. Good luck

Chris1594

Eham is a pretty good one if you're using a computer. I used it 14 years ago when I got my ticket eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams

If you have an Android phone 'ham test prep" is a good one and is available in the play store. Im sure there's an iOS app as well. And like pb Lonny said it's good to focus on what you're learning. Anyone can memorize the questions and take the test. And to be completely honest I'm sure everyone has several questions like that when they do take it. It will serve you better in the long run to actually learn why the correct answer is correct. Also it can't hurt to look and find a local club for some help if you need it. There's tons of knowledge on this website and tons of people who are happy to help but sometimes having a person to explain things makes it easier. Good luck
Thanks a lot I found a local chapter on Facebook and reached out to them so maybe I’ll hear back these tests are crazy lol I’m too new to this but even after I pass the test I’m sure I’ll still have lots of questions it’s interesting how much goes into ham radio.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks a lot I found a local chapter on Facebook and reached out to them so maybe I’ll hear back these tests are crazy lol I’m too new to this but even after I pass the test I’m sure I’ll still have lots of questions it’s interesting how much goes into ham radio.

Oh there's tons to learn. I learn something new every day and I've been pretty active with the hobby for a long time. An interesting thing you may enjoy in the mean time are the web controlled SDR's (software defined radios) at websdr.org

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll agree with the others, learning the subject material is important.

There's a couple of approaches I've seen:

Ham-Cram sessions:
These work, my wife got her tech license this way. What she did was a "most of the day" sort of thing. You come in the morning and they hand you a set of all the questions and answers. They tell you to read it at least 3 times all the way through, if not more.
Does it work? Yes, my wife passed her test on the first try. So did my sister. So did my mom.
This method works for some, but not all. A few ham radio clubs do these, sometimes at swap meets.
Drawbacks are that you simply learn to regurgitate the correct answers. You don't really learn much. My wife is licensed, but she doesn't really know what she's doing. She has a radio in her car, but it's pretty basic.

Taught classes:
They work well if classroom learning is your thing. Works for some, others lose interest. They'll teach you the subject matter enough to pass the test. It usually involves taking practice tests over and over until you can consistently get a passing score. Some amateur radio clubs will do these.

Self study:
Depends on you. You can keep taking online tests until you can pass the test. I've got a co-worker who did this. He's got his license, but he has no idea what he's doing.
Others will read the books, learn the subject material, ask lots of questions, research on the internet, etc.
It works if you've go the discipline, desire and drive to do it.

Knowing what your individual learning style is and following that path is what works.

I’m too new to this but even after I pass the test I’m sure I’ll still have lots of questions it’s interesting how much goes into ham radio.

You will, or at least should.
Successfully passing a 35 question multiple choice test doesn't really mean a whole lot on it's own. It certainly doesn't prepare you for everything. The test material covers the very basics, and minimally at that. It barely scrapes over the FCC rules (Hint: FCC Part 97 is not the only part of the rules that apply to amateurs). It doesn't go deeply into the technical side. It doesn't cover things that you'll need to know if you want to be good at this.

Two way radio, not just amateur radio, is a big field of study. It's always changing, there's always something new to learn.

Good luck!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Technician question pool is divided into 10 separate "sub-elements". A certain number of questions will be taken from each sub-element. So, to answer the OP's first question, yes, you need to be familiar with the material covered by all of the questions in the question pool.

As for finding the current question pools, you can always find them on the NCVEC.org web site. The NCVEC has Question Pool Committees who prepare the questions in the pool. All of the various ham study web sites out there take their material from the NCVEC web site.

edweirdFL

I used the online tests and study materials at HamStudy and Hamradiolicenseexam websites and the one linked off the ARRL's website. I also installed an app on my Android tablet that let you study and take practice exams.

I liked the ones that would automatically repeat the questions you missed. I liked how they could show me the percentage of material from each section of the test I had seen, and how I did. This helped me focus where I needed to study. It encouraged me by showing how my test scores improved based on my efforts. When I could consistently score 80% on the practice tests I decided to make an attempt at the real testing sessions that local clubs offered on a monthly basis.

You will learn some things while you are learning basic concepts and maybe memorizing some of the rules and answers. The learning won't stop when you pass your test. It will continue as you start doing the things in amateur radio that interest you. That's where continuing to read not just material for the test, and using human resources who have experience becomes vital.

Adults learn in different ways. Some folks learn best by reading or hearing a lecture. Others need to see things and be able to ask questions of an instructor. There are also folks who really need to try and do it themselves, hands on, and maybe even make mistakes along the way in order to learn. Make a plan that takes into account what works best for your style of learning.

Chris1594

Thanks everyone I was looking over different videos last night and online study material and taking practice tests in each category I was passing by 83 percent in almost each category I noticed my weak points are when they talk about ohms law as well as the various frequencies since I am still too new to that I think that's going to be my only draw back on the tests. out of the question pool of 400 when will I know when i'm ready to take the test as far as passing score in each of the categories? thanks

GUNSABLAZIN

Premium Subscriber
hamtestonline.com

Learning is not the same for everyone. Some do better by reading, some by listening, some by doing.

This site encompasses everything, anyway you want to use it.

Check it out!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
when will I know when i'm ready to take the test as far as passing score in each of the categories? thanks

That, and when you feel comfortable.

You'll always be learning, so don't get hung up on not passing with a 100% score. Learning is an ongoing process. Mastering the Technician Test isn't the guarantee that you'll be a perfect amateur. Remember, this test just gets you in the door.

Chris1594

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the advice and help I will hopefully next week take the test

Chris1594

Update I passed my test this past Monday and am going to start studying for the General exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.