RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators - New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Question How To Restore My Old Call Sign?

Hello All,

I was licensed at the age of 12 in 1963 as a Technician Class. I let my license lapse a long time ago (High School / Girls / Life). After 55 years, I'm now prepping to get licensed again, only this time I'm going for all three exams on the same day to just go ahead and make the jump to Extra.

My question is this. How do I reclaim my old call sign again? Can I just ask for it when I pass the exams, or do I have to wait, get a random call sign assigned, then make a request to get my old call sign restored as a "vanity" call sign?
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2017, 4:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have an expired license you have to retest as you stated.

The VEC's cannot assign you your old call - only the FCC can do that. You would have to request it as a vanity call and that is assuming that it was not reissued to someone else. The only choices you have are keeping and existing call, if you have one, or taking the next call sign in the pool.

The first step would be to check now to see if your old call is available. I use this site:

HamCallLookup.com -- the world's top ham radio call sign lookup services

If your call was WA6ZHL it looks like it is available. Expired in 1998. Inactive in 2000.

There are also services that will process (for a fee) vanity call requests. I did my own. I selected several possible calls. I did get my first choice. It takes about 18 days not counting holidays etc. for the FCC to process vanity call requests.

The good thing is that processing applications after you pass the exams should take a few days unlike the 8-12 weeks in the old days.

Good luck!

Last edited by ko6jw_2; 11-13-2017 at 4:51 PM..
Old 11-13-2017, 8:06 PM

Thanks for that. That's what I thought. No problem.

Best Regards,

Alan
Old 11-14-2017, 9:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You should go ahead and register on the FCC ULS website for a FRN account today. Yes, prior to passing any tests or getting a license. Write down your FRN number and password, you will use it and not your SSN on the paperwork you fill out when taking your tests. FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home

If you want the FCC to mail paper copies of your license to you, you can set the option up saying you want communication by mail at the same time you create your account, otherwise it will all be via email.

After you take and pass your tests and use the FRN on your paperwork, your callsign will be sequentially assigned by the FCC and show up online in their database. I'd figure on 10-14 days after passing depending on how quickly the VE's mail forms, and how soon the VEC forwards them to the FCC. Once you see your new callsign online, you can fill out a vanity callsign request for your old callsign. You will need to have checked to see if it is available.

This website has the most comprehensive info on the vanity callsign process that I have found online. AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools

You can use the wait time after passing your exams but before seeing your callsign show up online to study how to fill out the online vanity call request form at the FCC site and monitor the status of your request. You will use that FRN account online to do this.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanks, Ed,

Good advice. I appreciate it. I've bookmarked those sites.

Alan
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2017, 8:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Based on the call sign you used in your post, I found this record in the FCC database. Is this you?

ULS License - Amateur License - WA6ZHL - REASOR, DAVID M
Old 11-14-2017, 11:22 PM

No, not me. Looks like he picked it up in the late 80s but let it go.

Tags
call signs, expired, lapsed, vanity