• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlp925

I would like to purchase a radio with all of the GMRS/FRS frequencies pre-programmed. My question, does anyone sell a radio that allows a user to do the following:

1. The ability (USER PROGRAMMABLE) to enter/select the PL/DPL for both the transmit and receive frequencies. This would allow access to most open repeaters. I remember the JT1000 allowed the user to program the frequencies and PL/DPL. I want to select a frequency and enter the PL/DPL instead of having a radio programmed to EVERY combination of GMRS/FRS frequency and PL/DPL.

Thank you,

N

N_Jay

No.

You will not find a FRS/GMRS combination radio designed for repeater use. (at least I have never seen one)

FYI Mother Motorola is coming out with a new FRS/GMRS radio that will have the usual 22 channels and 8 repeater programmable channels. Model number is MR355R, power out is .5W and 1.5W.

Last edited:

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
A Kenwood TK-350 will do that. It is field programmable. It can hold up to 160 channels if you program it from a computer and you can program the first 32 channels from the field. It is 4 watts.

N

N_Jay

A Kenwood TK-350 will do that. It is field programmable. It can hold up to 160 channels if you program it from a computer and you can program the first 32 channels from the field. It is 4 watts.

But it is not a legal FRS radio.

rfradioconsult, Thanks for the tip on the MR355R. Cool radio.

dwh367

The Icom IC-F21GM is a nice little preprogrammed commercial grade GMRS radio, that is repeater capable, but unfortunately it doesn't meet their specs. I'll withhold comment on why the need for split TX/RX capability is needed on GMRS other than to say it won't be compatible with any other radios that aren't programmed identically.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
But it is not a legal FRS radio.

rfradioconsult, Thanks for the tip on the MR355R. Cool radio.

I guess I didn't understand what the OP was asking for. I thought he/she wanted a GMRS radio that had the 7 GMRS/FRS channels in it and the 7 GMRS repeater channels, not the 14 FRS channels. I figured that because he/she mentioned the JT1000 which is not legal on FRS either.

N

N_Jay

I guess I didn't understand what the OP was asking for. I thought he/she wanted a GMRS radio that had the 7 GMRS/FRS channels in it and the 7 GMRS repeater channels, not the 14 FRS channels. I figured that because he/she mentioned the JT1000 which is not legal on FRS either.

I guess I assumed they wanted the FRS frequencies, since he said "FRS", but I could have been wrong.

rlp925

Gmrs

I apologize for my original post----Please disregard my comment about seeking a GMRS/FRS radio. I only want a GMRS radio that is either user programmable and/or programmable from a PC. I need something reliable, rugged and easy to use.

KE5ZGZ

Premium Subscriber
RE: GMRS radio

I have a pair of Icom F21GM radios.
I use on local repeaters. I am in the process of building a repeater of my own too.

They are available new for about $125 each. from GMRS Outlet.
You can sometimes find these on Ebay.
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ICOM-IC-F21GM-GMRS-UHF-Transceiver_W0QQitemZ110393463646QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ2_Way_Radios_FRS?hash=item19b3f6935e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50<

tekshogun

As N_Jay stated, any radio that was not specifically built to FCC's specs for use on the FRS is illegal to use for FRS. I believe that applies to FRS and there are limitations for the shared FRS/GMRS. You have a lot more flexibility with the GMRS only channels so you should stick to GMRS.

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
As N_Jay stated, any radio that was not specifically built to FCC's specs for use on the FRS is illegal to use for FRS. I believe that applies to FRS and there are limitations for the shared FRS/GMRS. You have a lot more flexibility with the GMRS only channels so you should stick to GMRS.

Those limitations on the shared FRS/GMRS channels are essentially:

-Limited to 5 watts ERP (Effective Radiated Power) -- 5 watts into a 1/4 wave antenna is roughly your power limit

-Antenna height must be under 20 ft (6.1 m)above the ground or structure (whichever is higher)

These restrictions are for a "small base station." The same 5 watt ERP power limit applies to handheld/mobile radios, but the antenna height does not matter unless your radio is being used in a "base" configuration (externally mounted antenna).

A big benefit of using the FRS/GMRS shared channels is that you can communication with high power to an unlicensed FRS station and vice versa. There's nothing prohibiting you from talking to an FRS unit as long as both sides are operating legally.

captmfa7112

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget, a lot of Motorola radios have the MPL (Multiple Private Line) feature that allows you to choose from a list of user-programmed PL pairs. I have used this with excellent results, the only downside is that you must pre-program the PL pairs you want to use.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Re;repeater capable gmrs/frs radio...

No.

You will not find a FRS/GMRS combination radio designed for repeater use. (at least I have never seen one)

Maxon model 210+3 looks a lot like the radio shack htx202. These were actually produced by icom for tandy corp. and maxon.
I still have a service manual around for one of these.
The one I have works pretty good.
N9ZAS.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
The Icom F21GM can be programmed (by the associated software, if you know the 'trick' to it) for split PL/DCS, but not without the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.