• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TriSquare TSX300

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLAB

Not a GMRS radio but I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with this type of radio and what you thought of it comapred to an FRS/GMRS radio.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Full review of these radios here:

TriSquare TSX300 Review - Two Way Radio Forum

Bottom line... they're pretty much equivilent to FRS/GMRS handhelds. Possibly slightly less range, but this is so dependent on your actual local conditions that it's impossible to predict anyway, outside the basic standard of 1/2-2 miles maximum unless on hilltops.

W9NES

I have a pair of these are they are great.They are "Encripted" and they can be used for 'Secure Communications" No one in scanner land can hear you.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.294 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

I believe these radios are FHSS. They are not "secure" or encrypted

W9NES

My imfomation that I have posted is correct!!!.These are 'encripted and can be used for secure Communications" This is the reason why I got them.I have tested them with a scanner and you cannot hear the trasnmissions or the frequency will not show up when the scanner is in search mode.

Last edited:

W9NES

These radios are also being sold to Search and Rescue Teams as they are also using them for "Secure Communications" when they are on a Recovery mission for a missing person and they do not want the media or *Scanner land* to hear what they are doing.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
They are 'secure' only in that it's difficult to receive them at a distance. The transmissions are normal analog FM, hopping from frequency to frequency every 400 milliseconds or so.

A near field receiver can hear them just fine from within maybe 100 feet, and there are, in fact, commercially made (but extremely expensive) receivers made for multi-frequency simultaneous receive of many frequencies at once that will get them just fine from full range. Admittedly, not something the casual listener would buy.

They are 'more secure' than FRS/GMRS radios. They are not by any means actually truely 'secure'.

W9NES

Skip, Sorry but they are "Totaly Secure" and you are not one of the Beta Testers who have tested this unit.I am a Beat Tester for these units and they are far much better than you average frs'gmrs units that you "Buy at Wal-Mart" No one can afford a Expensive "Field Receiver using it at 100 feet"Funny that you say that as I did have access to one of these"Expensive Receivers" and they other party in front of the Receiver at 100 Feet could not hear a thing!!!!.They average person who uses a Search mode on a Analong Handheld scanner "Cannot find what frequency they are using"Also try a Portable Frequency Counter and key the radio and look"No frequency on the portable frequency counter was found".If the radio was not "Secure" the frequency in use would show up on the frequency counter"Plain and Simple'Sir.My infomation is correct.Thank You----------------------------------------------W9NES-GMRS KAF3207-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.294 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

@w9nes: the trisquare radios are NOT encrypted, the use FHSS technology to make it difficult to monitor. I was just looking at the website and nowhere does it ay that these radios are encrypted. -f you want to beloieve that they are encrypted and secure then I have some ocean front realestate in montanna you buy, real cheap too!!!

Other members on this board have sucessfully listened to them with near field recievers. Do a search there is a thread about it.

Granted they are more secure than the average bubble pack radio they are not nearly secure as a radio using DES encryption.

Edit
The reason a freq counter or close call does not sow anything is due to the hi rate of freq hopping.

Last edited:

cubn

Database Admin
I have a pair of TSX-100s. They used to work but now they cannot communicate with each other despite being set for the same channel. I wouldn't recommend them because of this.

W9NES

As I have said before and will say again.Try a Tsx 300 in front of a Motorola Service Monitor and Try to find them.Also try a Portable Frequency Counter. The Frequency Counter will not show a freq on the Port freq counter while it is keyed.A friend of mine here in The Indianapolis area bought a pair of them and we are going to use them on Sat 7-10-2010 at a major event here in Indianapolis.I will highly recomend The TSX 300.I would not waste my time or money on cheap.FRS/GMRS units that you can buy at Wal-mart.I have had excellent results with my pair and most of my beta testing has been sent back to the Manufacturer. I am very happy with the operation of the TSX-300.All you have to do is Read the owners manual and learn how to operate the equipment.the TSX-300 does have the ability to do alpha numeric paging where the other so called FRS-GMRS radios will not do this funiction.No one can hear these radios and no one can read alpha numeric messages between units.

prcguy

I had my Trisquare TSX-100s at Dayton a few years back and tested one with an older Optoelectronics Explorer (about $700 new) and it could pick up my transmissions. The hop rate is slow enough on the Trisquare units to allow the fairly inexpensive near field receivers from picking them up. There is a link somewhere on RR that shows basically the same thing. A newer Harris mil radio with Citadel frequency hopping was also tried and the Optoelectronics would not pick it up.
prcguy

W9NES

Tirsquare Tx-300 is a Secure and Encripted radio.This is infomation was given to me from within the company.They have sold a lot of these radios becuase of this along with the Paging fuction where you can send text to another radio.There is no other radio on todays market that you can buy at Wal-mart that will do this.You know it is funny that when I am at a event other hams come up and ask me about the radios and they ask me what freq I am on.I tell them to go try to find me and after they are done they come back to me and tell me "Those are great radios I could not find you anywhere" Where can I get a pair of those that you are using?I refer them to Trisquare's web site.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Tirsquare Tx-300 is a Secure and Encripted radio.

No matter how many times you repeat that, it won't become true. There is no encryption whatsoever on Trisquare radios. They use normal, plain old FM analog signals, merely switched from frequency to frequency every 400 milliseconds.

Get 50 radios. Tune each to one of the 50 channels. You'll hear the transmissions just fine, at full range. (Yes, there are very expensive commercial radios that do this in one 'radio').

Or get a near-field receiver, and within 10-50 feet, you can hear it just fine. This has been done, and works.

No matter how many times you repeat the 'big lie', it doesn't become true.

The Trisquares are 'reasonably secure', but in no way actually secure against serious monitoring attempts by those with some bucks.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

W9nes go amd read the companies own litrature on their web site. As has been repeated over and over, these radios are NOT encrypted, nor are they secure, they are just more difficult to monitor. It CAN and HAS been done.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Apparently Encripted means something other then encrypted. Just because you can't monitor it doesn't mean it is encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.