• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Two New Frequencies for GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

div3405

Feed Provider
There is a proposal to add two frequencies to GMRS 462.7375
462.7500 which are to be used as the new Homeland Security Emergency Channels.

This is not confirmed at this time, but keep your ears to the ground.

pickles37

Any updates on this? I'm intrigued. I can't find anything obvious on the web about it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

More info??
n9zas

ecps92

Hmmm low power radios fighting Pagers - Nice try

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Anyone can 'propose' anything.

I can 'propose' to the FCC that the whole 450-470 band should be turned into a mega-GMRS. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

This 'proposal' is asking for business radio service channels to be reallocated to GMRS. Who 'pays' the FCC Commisioners more (somehow or other)? Buisness, or GMRS Radio Manufacturers?

Next: Homeland Insecurity Emergency Channels? Homeland Insecurity exists to protect the government from the citizens. It's a 'cop shop'. No interest in such things.

Now, if it's created: Who's going to enforce this 'special' channel? Not the FCC, they are trying desperately to DE-regulate GMRS so they can wash their hands of it. Why would a 'special' channel be needed? Designate one of the current ones, if you like.

Bear in mind that GMRS is NOT intended to be a 'chit chat' service for hobbiests, it's intended for family communications within a family. It was never intended as a place to call 'CQ'.

gewecke

Banned
Bear in mind that GMRS is NOT intended to be a 'chit chat' service for hobbiests, it's intended for family communications within a family.

Is this not "personal communications"? This IS what GMRS was designed for.:)
n9zas

pickles37

Interestingly, the FCC ULS only shows 3 licenses for 462.7375 in the whole US, all of them expired or terminated

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Why would homeland security want frequencies in the GMRS spectrum? Would citizens that hold a valid GMRS license be able to use the two new frequencies? I haven’t seen anything on the FCC's ULS that would indicate a request by DHS for these frequencies. This is more likely a rumor that builds credibility by getting more people to discuss it.

talkpair

Now, if it's created: Who's going to enforce this 'special' channel? Not the FCC, they are trying desperately to DE-regulate GMRS so they can wash their hands of it. Why would a 'special' channel be needed? Designate one of the current ones, if you like.

I guess the 'special' channel could be half-duplex only, citizens transmit on 467.xxx.......gov't transmits on 462.xxx...with no repeaters allowed....and transmitter disabled unless a valid GPS position can be sent.
(This is assuming a 467 channel is also in the rumor)

I don't see any local government agencies spending the money to set up base stations for this channel.

Therefore, I don't see this useful for reporting incidents relating to national security

On the other hand, temporary equipment brought in for disasters, such as Katrina could be set up
to listen for calls for help, when other means of communication are down.

As you said.......it would be easier to just designate an existing channel.......like channel 9 on the CB band was years ago.....Even then, when CB was as common as a cell phone is today, law enforcement lost interest in monitoring, and equipment was never replaced after the initial roll out.

I can 'propose' to the FCC that the whole 450-470 band should be turned into a mega-GMRS. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.
At one time that WAS the Citizen's Class A Band.

pickles37

Cheap GMRS radios proved useful in major disasters like Katrina, but getting FCC STA permissions to use them was overly complicated, especially when a mix of federal and local agencies were involved. There is also some indication of utility for people requesting help if all other infrastructure is out. This could be a way to have an extra frequency or two programmed in FRS/GMRS radios, licensed by rule, available to government as well as non-government, but able to work at higher power than FRS and not part of the general "chat pool" of frequencies (i.e. switching to it would require pressing a special button or something).

But all that is speculation unless div3405 posts more info!

For me the interesting thing is that 462.7375 seems to be an unused frequency. According to the FCC Spectrum Dashboard, it is listed as both part of FRS/GMRS and part of Industrial/Business. I wonder if there is concern about interference from GMRS?

jf4164

When I put my original GMRSrepeater on here in South Florida--it was a CLASS A Citizens Band station. I had three (3) licenses. One for the repeater, one for the control station, and one for the mobiles.
Three repeaters later--thanks to the Lords of Lightning--still use my system..

BonziBuddy

Bear in mind that GMRS is NOT intended to be a 'chit chat' service for hobbiests, it's intended for family communications within a family.

Is this not "personal communications"? This IS what GMRS was designed for.:)
n9zas
GMRS was intended to be used by construction workers who stand in the road holding spinning stop signs on poles.

I swear this is all I hear on channel 1 during the summer

talkpair

GMRS was intended to be used by construction workers who stand in the road holding spinning stop signs on poles.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's noticed this.

Imagine the legal ramifications if an accident was caused by a 3rd party interfering with this type of communication.

A case where the persons involved are wrong, except the injured.

Used to see the same thing 30 years ago.....before blister-packed GMRS/FRS radios.
The only thing different was they used a mobile CB radio wired to a car battery.

gewecke

Banned

I swear this is all I hear on channel 1 during the summer

Yeah,yeah I know. :roll: I heard em' too.
n9zas

div3405

Feed Provider
Here are the new frequencies for GMRS

Well many of you laughed at me when I said there were a new set of frequencies coming from the FCC for GMRS.

When they went to narrow banding four new frequencies came up at either end of the GMR spectrum that are now authorized to be used.

Confirmed here:

Spectrum Dashboard - Reboot.FCC.gov

nd5y

I'm still laughing. Those aren't new frequencies, those are the band edges. You are not reading and interpreting the Spectrum Dashboard chart properly. The only frequencies authorized for GMRS use are listed at § 95.29 Channels available. Also GMRS isn't subject to narrowbanding.

Last edited:

div3405

Feed Provider
Four New Frequencies for GMRS

Well many of you laughed at me when I said there were a new set of frequencies coming from the FCC for GMRS.

When they went to narrow banding four new frequencies came up at either end of the GMR spectrum that are now authorized to be used.

Confirmed here:

Spectrum Dashboard - Reboot.FCC.gov[/QUOTE]

gewecke

Banned
I guess I'm guilty too. :lol:

There are STILL only 8 repeater outputs,and 8 inputs.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.