• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Doing GMRS right...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbecker1963

Premium Subscriber
Okay..

Applied for license......check
Ordered a Memorex handheld to get feet wet....check

Research is showing that handhelds might reach a mile or so at best...check

I'm looking at some Kenwood mobile radio's on Ebay like TK-862G. 25 watts and programmable. Get a decent mobile antenna and I'm talkin', right?

Now I'm seeing that some of these radio's can go down to 440 mhz and above 470mhz. I have no desire to mess around with public service bands.

Q: I'll probably go ahead and take the tech test. What license is needed to talk below GMRS?

My desire is to have good comm's in the event of some type of disaster or SHTF as well as being able to once again, talk like the good old days of Sideband. I'm wide open to suggestions and input. Thanks.

Ray

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Okay..

Applied for license......check
Ordered a Memorex handheld to get feet wet....check

Research is showing that handhelds might reach a mile or so at best...check

I'm looking at some Kenwood mobile radio's on Ebay like TK-862G. 25 watts and programmable. Get a decent mobile antenna and I'm talkin', right?

Now I'm seeing that some of these radio's can go down to 440 mhz and above 470mhz. I have no desire to mess around with public service bands.

Q: I'll probably go ahead and take the tech test. What license is needed to talk below GMRS?

Besides your GMRS license, a amateur radio technician class license is all you'll need to operate on the 440 mhz. band. :)
n9zas

My desire is to have good comm's in the event of some type of disaster or SHTF as well as being able to once again, talk like the good old days of Sideband. I'm wide open to suggestions and input. Thanks.

Ray

Besides your GMRS license, a amateur radio technician class license is all you'll need to operate on the 440 mhz. band. :)
n9zas

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Check with mygmrs.com to see what repeaters are in your area. Make contact with the owner if it requires permission and you will then make new friends on it!

pto

Feed Provider
Gmrs

Ray,
There GMRS repeaters everywhere.
In My area, I think We have one of the best GMRS repeaters around.
That said, I also have an amateur license.

Contact Me off list for more GMRS info.

WQJL-704

WouffHong

uh-oh

n9zas

RAY: BUT, use the Ham rig on GMRS and risk loss of BOTH licenses... :-( :roll:
(National Emergency, Loss of life/property risk may be excluded :wink:)

Da Wouff

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Directly below the 462.xxx MHz GMRS frequencies are private land mobile use. Below 450MHz (down to 430MHz) is the 70cm UHF ham band.

The entry level Technician license (as well as general and extra) allows you to transmit on the 70cm band.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
RAY: BUT, use the Ham rig on GMRS and risk loss of BOTH licenses... :-( :roll:
(National Emergency, Loss of life/property risk may be excluded :wink:)

Da Wouff

And exactly HOW is this going to happen?

YES, I realize it is not legal to do so, but who is going to bust someone for that?

gewecke

Banned

YES, I realize it is not legal to do so, but who is going to bust someone for that?

Most GMRS repeater owners/ trustees do not want or allow modified ham rigs on their repeaters from my experience.
I would guess if a user was adamant about using an illegal radio on a GMRS system after being told to stop ,the owner could take it upon himself to notify the ham's local club, as well as the fcc, and would be correct in doing so.
....Just saying it could happen. :roll:

n9zas

rbecker1963

Premium Subscriber
I don't intend to use a ham rig. I will prolly get an HT that does 70cm along with GMRS. Get my tech paper and eventually talk on 70cm.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Most GMRS repeater owners/ trustees do not want or allow modified ham rigs on their repeaters from my experience.
I would guess if a user was adamant about using an illegal radio on a GMRS system after being told to stop ,the owner could take it upon himself to notify the ham's local club, as well as the fcc, and would be correct in doing so.
....Just saying it could happen. :roll:

n9zas

But my question is, how would they know what kind of radio I am using? How do they know the difference between my TK-830, and FT-1807M?

gewecke

Banned
But my question is, how would they know what kind of radio I am using? How do they know the difference between my TK-830, and FT-1807M?

Many repeater operators use a radio id software which will indicate AUTHORIZED users with accepted equipment. In the end,the technology WILL win! ;)
n9zas

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (BB8330: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

gewecke said:

Many repeater operators use a radio id software which will indicate AUTHORIZED users with accepted equipment. In the end,the technology WILL win! ;)
n9zas

Ooooohhh. Okay. Well in that case, I am glad I have not run into that issue yet!

WouffHong

illegal gmrs use

Just a word to the wise. FCC has some pretty good capabilities.

It IS done and fines levied. - They seem to be more active lately, but do what you want,

However - google "illegal gmrs use" first, or similar terms..

Take care es 73

Da Wouff

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (BB8330: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Well I will stick to my type accepted equipment! Its always good to learn something new!

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
You probably have a better chance of winning the lotto than you do have a chance of getting caught using a non-type accepted radio. Unless you are standing in front of the FCC tech (if you can even find one), he probably would just go about his business as usual.

It's more like the SAPS are having their say, as usual.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
You probably have a better chance of winning the lotto than you do have a chance of getting caught using a non-type accepted radio. Unless you are standing in front of the FCC tech (if you can even find one), he probably would just go about his business as usual.

It's more like the SAPS are having their say, as usual.

This is what I was trying to say without saying it.....

Sporkupine

Stuff like this has almost always been a "gentleman's agreement wink/nudge" kind of deal WRT equipment acceptance, freebanding, etc.

Remember that the primary goal of the FCC is to ensure that licensed users do not suffer harmful interference. Beyond that, they don't have unlimited manpower, so it becomes a situation where one has to pick their battles...

I, personally, am a big believer in following the spirit of the law if not the letter. If you practice responsible outlawry, the odds are enormously in you favour.

I think the biggest problem is that some of these grey areas get plumbed by those who are not technically proficient enough to do it properly. They draw attention to themselves...remember the old saw "there's always one that screws it up for everyone else?" Applies here, in spades.

And, of course, just like fight club, you know what the first rule of freebanding is, right? :)

Sporkupine

n9zas

Is there a place I can read about this? I find the idea of being able to identify specific equipment interesting and I'd like to learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.