RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2017, 11:55 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramal121 View Post
Put a timer in the power line off of the battery. Very low draw when idle (few mils). I have used these. Cheap import stuff but it does work.

https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Feede...=12+volt+timer
And how does it turn on ? I get timers but there needs to be a trigger to turn it on.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2017, 12:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
And how does it turn on ? I get timers but there needs to be a trigger to turn it on.
Has a clock, like a regular appliance timer. The only difference it runs on 12 volts, great for solar use. You program it for say off at 9pm and turn on again at 6 am.

I have a portable repeater also and I intend to add one to mine to reduce battery consumption when it is not needed, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 4:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramal121 View Post
Has a clock, like a regular appliance timer. The only difference it runs on 12 volts, great for solar use. You program it for say off at 9pm and turn on again at 6 am.

I have a portable repeater also and I intend to add one to mine to reduce battery consumption when it is not needed, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
So a timer is great to shut it off at night but doesn't help when its needed. That was my point. The op above said he keyed the repeater and it would turn back on...
Old 02-26-2017, 6:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Understood. Sounds like the OP uses the battery save function of the radio, Would save a little juice but not the same as a complete power down. Maybe they'll reply back to confirm.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Cool i am having the same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0GOK View Post
Hi folks -
Say, I just put together a portable field repeater and am using the Radio-Tone Controller. The system is working great, however, when I plug external power into the Radio-Tone Controller, it fires a transmit continually, about once every 2 seconds. What's even more interesting is that just having the external jack plugged into the unit (with no power), it does the same transmit thing. Very confused. Any thoughts? I actually purchased a second controller thinking there was an issue with it - same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tony KE0GOK
i am having the same issue
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2018, 9:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Here ya go!

Integrated Control Systems

n9zas
we use one for a link to 2 repeaters and this unit works very well, just make sure you use 2 quality radios for your system, and space the antennas apart so you have no desence causing each other out