RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 9:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile I assisted a customer once

I heard a customer in the electronics isle wondering when the employee would be over to get him a xbox game out of the cabinet. I walked around the other corner away from the customer and said customer needs assistance by the video game cabinet. A second or two later an employee was there helping the customer.
That was the good deed.

And now the bad.
You know those Baofeng radios that have the emergency alert feature. When that is pushed that alarm sound is broadcast on the frequency that you are currently on even on 154.570. Talk about getting the employees attention fast. They wonder what the hell is going on.

Very amusing post and will have to check the frequency of those push carts next. That could be hilarious.
kb0vwg
wqoi992
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2012, 9:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question How would it sound

If a hundred plus people did the same thing all day long or at the same time?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS4VT View Post
You are correct on your 1st two comments per the FCC:
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

95.1309 Channel use policy.
(a) The channels authorized to MURS systems by this part are available on a shared basis only and will not be assigned for the exclusive use of any entity.
What about users that still hold a valid FCC grandfathered license on the 154.570 and 154.600 MURS frequencies and an operating radius that may contain walmart stores?
Would the licensed users trump walmart or not? That is assuming the licensed users attempted to verify the channel was unused at the time.

There are not a lot of users left that still hold an active and valid license on the two MURS frequencies above but I would think the licensed user would have the right to use the frequency over walmart as long as they were using the radios for whatever use their license permitted.

We did use the two MURS frequencies listed above when we went shopping for work but we did have an active license back then that had a 33km operating radius. MURS was a brand new service.
The announcment of MURS prompted me to install a VHF and a UHF repeater and get licensed for them both. I still kept the MURS freqs on the license and only dropped them at the last license renewal period.
We now use the repeater talkaround channel when shopping out of repeater coverage.
I'm not even sure what walmart used back in those days but they did carry VHF radios before MURS came about.

Anyway, just curious as to who is in the right if you are still a valid and active MURS frequency license holder.

For grins, I did an FCC search for my state only and only found four active and valid licensee's for both the above frequencies. One is actually very near my area which surprised me. I can't say I ever heard the user though.

I no longer have the old portables as they were not narrowband capable so they would have been useless for our repeater.
I guess I could have kept them for the two wideband MURS channels but I think they were 5 watt radios so still not legal for MURS. They were mostly GP300's. Most went to an area ham as they would take the 2 meter frequencies. At least someone will get some use out of them.
Damn rugged radios for as long as we had them.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

1) It is private property and you do have to follow their rules while on it.
2) The MURS channels are shared and no one has exclusive use of them, however you cannot cause interference to co-channel users.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

3) You did read the post about organized shoplifting rings who have been know to use radios to distract and mis-lead employees so that they can commit their crimes, right?
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe the manager could have been a little more polite, however he was within his rights.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0VWG View Post
I heard a customer in the electronics isle wondering when the employee would be over to get him a xbox game out of the cabinet. I walked around the other corner away from the customer and said customer needs assistance by the video game cabinet. A second or two later an employee was there helping the customer.
That was the good deed.

And now the bad.
You know those Baofeng radios that have the emergency alert feature. When that is pushed that alarm sound is broadcast on the frequency that you are currently on even on 154.570. Talk about getting the employees attention fast. They wonder what the hell is going on.

Very amusing post and will have to check the frequency of those push carts next. That could be hilarious.
kb0vwg
wqoi992
I found out something about that tonight. It just so happens, one of our local hammies hit that on the local 146.940 rptr , and it got our attn! I guess that sound is a S.O.S and in china they use it to signal to change frequencies. That's what I was told, not sure if it's true or not,lol!

n9zas
Old 06-22-2012, 12:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruser View Post
What about users that still hold a valid FCC grandfathered license on the 154.570 and 154.600 MURS frequencies and an operating radius that may contain walmart stores?
Would the licensed users trump walmart or not? That is assuming the licensed users attempted to verify the channel was unused at the time.

There are not a lot of users left that still hold an active and valid license on the two MURS frequencies above but I would think the licensed user would have the right to use the frequency over walmart as long as they were using the radios for whatever use their license permitted.

We did use the two MURS frequencies listed above when we went shopping for work but we did have an active license back then that had a 33km operating radius. MURS was a brand new service.
The announcment of MURS prompted me to install a VHF and a UHF repeater and get licensed for them both. I still kept the MURS freqs on the license and only dropped them at the last license renewal period.
We now use the repeater talkaround channel when shopping out of repeater coverage.
I'm not even sure what walmart used back in those days but they did carry VHF radios before MURS came about.

Anyway, just curious as to who is in the right if you are still a valid and active MURS frequency license holder.

For grins, I did an FCC search for my state only and only found four active and valid licensee's for both the above frequencies. One is actually very near my area which surprised me. I can't say I ever heard the user though.

I no longer have the old portables as they were not narrowband capable so they would have been useless for our repeater.
I guess I could have kept them for the two wideband MURS channels but I think they were 5 watt radios so still not legal for MURS. They were mostly GP300's. Most went to an area ham as they would take the 2 meter frequencies. At least someone will get some use out of them.
Damn rugged radios for as long as we had them.
Has anyone EVER found FCC license records for walmart on 154.570 or .600 ??? I believe the walmart distribution centers may have them for their UHF radios, but that's it.

n9zas
Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post

1) It is private property and you do have to follow their rules while on it.
2) The MURS channels are shared and no one has exclusive use of them, however you cannot cause interference to co-channel users.
Why would some still renew their licenses and keep those frequencies on them if they cannot maintain exclusive use?
Unless maybe some were authorized for higher power - then I could see some hanging on to them otherwise I see no reason to keep them on a license.

The private property part makes sense although I've never seen a sign at any store like walmart or a large hardware store that prohibits two way radios.
Usually rules like that are posted at the entrance onto the property or at the doorway entrances into the buildings. The only rules I've ever seen posted around here mostly pertain to children and skateboards.
I would think they must produce a list of rules if called out about something otherwise they could not do much other than ask you to leave the property. Makes one wonder how many "rules" are "made up on the fly" on private properties.

The only time I've ever seen rules pertaining to two way radio devices were at hospitals and blasting zones and then of course the cell phone and pager rules at movie theatres and sporting events like golf. Those have always been clearly posted in places where they are seen.
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 AM

It's true that Walmart can ask you to leave their property or trespass you for any reason they see fit. I still find it funny how a few folks are taking this so seriously. Why is everyone acting like Walmart has the cops in their back pocket or something? All they can do is call them to have you trespassed, and you will be arrested if you go back. That's how trespassing works everywhere, not just Walmart; so I don't see why everyone has been focusing on that. However, you could still park across the street and talk on their frequency all you want and they couldn't do anything about it legally.

Just another RR SAP debate.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

True. But it's still kinda funny.....honey, we can't shop at walmart anymore cuz i tried to ask for customer assistance!

n9zas
Old 06-22-2012, 1:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Some licenses did allow for higher power and/or other things that are no longer permitted under MURS rules.
If you sit across the street and deliberately interfere with their communications, there are legal steps they can take.
Old 06-22-2012, 1:19 AM

Would any of you "anti-Walmart" folks condone causing radio interference at any place other than Walmart?
Old 06-22-2012, 1:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post

Some licenses did allow for higher power and/or other things that are no longer permitted under MURS rules.
If you sit across the street and deliberately interfere with their communications, there are legal steps they can take.
Sure there are, but the easiest and perhaps the smartest way would be for walmart to just apply for a blanket FCC license for their corporation and be done with it! At least then they would have some legal precedence!

Trying to prove their case against all these "phantom" signals interfering, all over the U.S. would be a further waste of money, being that walmart loss prevention associates have to appear in court hundreds of times per year when a defendant pleads not guilty causing them to pay additional wages for hours spent in court for simple no trespassing violations, on top of all the shoplifting and pandering cases.
When I worked L.P. at walmart, I spent an average of 4-8 hours extra per wk extra at court which almost always went into O.T.

n9zas
Old 06-22-2012, 1:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Has anyone EVER found FCC license records for walmart on 154.570 or .600 ??? I believe the walmart distribution centers may have them for their UHF radios, but that's it.

n9zas
I searched for them a long time back and never found anything for walmart. I was wondering because we did hold a valid license for the pair back then and I always wondered how many others also held valid licenses.

There was a condo complex here that held a valid license for 154.600 back in the day.
Then along came a new McDonalds burger joint that used the same frequency for their drive up window. This was before MURS but I never found a license for the mcdonalds. I know they were low power but I could still hear people ordering at the drive up sign from a pretty good distance away. One day I noticed they had gone silent. I used to monitor the condo security but neither them nor mcdonalds used any PL or DPL tones so monitoring the condo guys became bad as most you heard was people ordering at the mcdonalds. Later on I ran across one of the security guys from the condos and asked him about the mcdonalds signals and how bad it had bothered them. I knew it had to be bad as they were only a few hundred feet apart. He said it was bad and they had spoke with the actual mcdonalds store and no resolution so they contacted mcdonalds corporate but got no response at all from them. They finally filed a formal complaint with the FCC and mcdonalds was forced off the frequency.
I never learned if there was a fine involved or if they even had a license. Pretty bad frequency coordination if they did have a license if you ask me.
I searched for mcdonalds after they disappeared and found them down around 31 or 35 MHz low band so they must have installed a totally new system. I later found that system had a valid license that had been recently issued.
When mcdonalds was using what is now MURS, I found the drive up window thing used 154.600 and they used 154.570 for employee to employee comms within the store.
Today, who knows, mcdonalds is gone from the old low band radios. The condo guys still use MURS frequencies but are now unlicensed and mcdonalds is no longer heard.
I'm too far for any walmarts that may be using MURS.
One of the still licensed MURS frequencies I found tonight is a Taco Bell in this area but I've never heard anything taco related so I doubt they use it yet they do have wireless headsets. Probably very low power if still used.

MURS use is very little here. I often scan those channels just to see what is out there and I rarely hear anything. Sometimes during the day I hear contractors involved in a highway relocate about 1/2 mile away but that is it other then the condo security guys.
I once heard some guys staking out some cars at another apartment complex next to me. This was pre MURS also. They were going to steal the tires and wheels from several cars and were using the radios to alert the guys doing the work to the police coming in the gates. They were all caught as I called the cops myself and told the dispatcher what was going on. The call came out for an officer to phone the dispatcher and then one called me a few minutes later for the details. I gave him the frequency and where I thought they were located on the property based on what I heard. They showed up at my apartment complex and walked across a field to the other complex and caught five bad guys red handed. That was pretty cool.
They did not use their radios at all for that call until they had them all caught. I also never heard the "lookouts" call in to the workers so I took it that the police snuck up on them before they ever saw them coming.

The only other thing I've heard on a 154.600 was what I thought were poachers getting ready to take out a bunch of deer. I listened to that one for a while trying to figure out where they were and then I realized it was a company that was hired by a muni here to try and capture large groups of deer with huge drop nets. That did not work very well as many of the deer died from stress when they tried to relocate them. So the animal rights groups protested and shut them down. Then not even a year later, the same company was back but this time with authorization to take them down with bows at night. I guess they are done as the MURS channels have been quiet for over a year now.
I still scan the MURS channels though as you never know what may pop up at night.
The deer population is growing again and more people are getting hurt or killed when they swerve to avoid the deer and hit a tree instead so I suspect the out of state guys will be back before long.
Other than that, MURS use is pretty dead around here.
FRS is hopping with all the apartments and condos around me. Mostly kids but sometimes some interesting stuff.
Then there are two or three security guys that watch over the highway building equipment that are using FRS radios. I think they sleep more than they watch for bandits though!
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2012, 2:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Great story cruser!
Not a lot of MURS here either, except for ch. 4 and 5 .

n9zas
Old 06-22-2012, 4:08 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagadka View Post
Would any of you "anti-Walmart" folks condone causing radio interference at any place other than Walmart?
Of course I would, I'm an equal opportunity radio interferer.
Old 06-22-2012, 6:42 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So do your childish antics interfere with your day to day activities? I would ban you too for disrupting operations. Someone responsible should remove you from your radio, you make the whole hobby look bad to the general public. I'm ashamed of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2012, 1:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX5JCH View Post
So do your childish antics interfere with your day to day activities? I would ban you too for disrupting operations. Someone responsible should remove you from your radio, you make the whole hobby look bad to the general public. I'm ashamed of you.

Ashamed?
OR... you could just get a sense of humor, as no one is being hurt or maimed in the creation of this post!
No need to get wound for sound, it's only radio.

Last edited by gewecke; 06-22-2012 at 2:52 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 2:45 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX5JCH View Post

There are plenty of hams that make the hobby look a lot worse.

Sent from my Calculator using Tapatalk