RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 7:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WQPX912 View Post
Ok, listening the a repeater channel in the area, and finely got ahold of the owner of the repeater, and is allowing me to use it, for free, what a wonderful gentleman, and with these 2 watt radios (ms350r) i can get atleast 10 miles away in the congested area of chicago, no problem!! Now I'm lookn on ebay for a desktop repeater now, seems that there's alot of there, not sure if there narrowband compliant though, well thats the update,

WQPX912 out!!!!
They won't need to be narrow band compliant, as that's not a concern with GMRS.

n9zas
Old 10-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Default narrowbanding

Thank you for clearing up the narrowband issue. I didn't want to buy a system and then have it obsolete because of the narrowbanding,
Old 10-31-2012, 8:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WQPX912 View Post
I've done the google search on chicago repeaters but nothing comes up around my area, so i'm assuming that it must be private? If there's any people in chicago that could help me out, i would appreciate your help!!!
myGMRS.com
Name:Ucomm 725 Location:Evanston, Illinois
Input:467.725 MHz Tone:100.0 Hz
Output: 462.725 MHz Tone:100.0 Hz

I believe this is a close repeater to you, range:15Mi. around Evanston il
Old 12-18-2013, 7:42 PM

Default Chicago Area Repeaters / GMRS Call Signs

The Ucom .725 Repeater in Evanston is highly directional to the north and may not be the best choice for him being to the SW in Elmwood Park. Hopefully he is good with the contact he has already made. Other good options might be the NW Suburban Repeater on .675, or downtown systems on .650 and .700, all operated by members of NSEA (index.html).

FCC Call Signs: The first Class A Citizens' Radio (now renamed to the General Mobile Radio) Service call was issued in 1948 to Al Gross in Cleveland - 13W0001. Calls signs from 1948 to 1963 had this format:

Number of the FCC Radio District; W - license issued in Washington A-? - LIcense issued at the local FCC Field Office; Four numerical digits (1-2 numbers x one letter x 4 numbers).

From 1963 to 1998 Calls had this format:

KA; plus one letter (A-G); plus four numerical digits (3 letters x 4 numbers).

Since 1998 ULS Calls all have this format:

W; plus two more alphabetic characters; plus four numerical digits (3 letters x 3 numbers).

Hope this helps - Randy Knowles, KAA8142.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:02 AM

I have a question about GMRS repeaters as well.

Now I've been playing with radios for a good long while. That being said most of my expertise is with HAM, CB and Public Safety radio. I let my HAM ticket expire years and years ago. I still fool with CB's since I travel a ton. I went ahead and applied and was granted a GMRS license a few months ago but I didn't really start to fool with it until a few weeks ago. Now that I have had some success with making contacts I'm even more curious about the service.

It has been my experience that every radio service has its own lingo, policies and/or procedures. For example I do not talk on my fire radio the same way I would talk on the CB and so on.

So my question is, what is the correct way to hail and conduct a QSO on GMRS. I have read a few different items on this matter. I understand the "licensing and identification" aspect. The few QSO's I have had on GMRS I conducted the same way I did when I used to use 2 meter repeaters. Is this OK?

I ask this because I know that there are some instances that other stations will not answer if you are not doing it correctly or their way. I have researched the machines in my area and found a public one that I was able to access. For three days now no one has answered. I appreciate the fact that this could be just because there is little interest with GMRS in this area but I find it odd that a repeater would just be left out there and not be used. I'm curious if maybe its because I might sound like that (new)guy. That's probably not the case as I have not heard a peep on this machine other than me.
Old 12-23-2013, 1:38 PM

"So my question is: what is the correct way to hail and conduct a QSO on GMRS? The few QSO's I have had on GMRS I conducted the same way I did when I used to use 140 MHz meter repeaters."

"How about it, (this is) WABC123, handle is Darth_vader, anybody have the ears on?"

(after a while with no contacts) "How about it, WABC123, Darth_vader, anybody have the ears on? Come back."

(after a while longer) "WABC123 monitoring."

Not trolling; absolutely 100% serious. Swallow your pride, key up and say the magic words. Substitute "how about it" for a "breaker" hail if you absolutely must ("breaker six-seven-five" or "breaker two-zero".) I even hear people hailling on FRS like that from time to time. Announcing your handle (if you have one) is completely optional; announcing your call letters is mandatory.

Setting your transmit PL to 141.3 (Moto #22) when working simplex on all the upper GMRS channels can sometimes be a good idea, especially on 20/675. It's not always necessary but may attract more attention, since 141.3 is so widely used (the equivalent of 67.0 on FRS.) Leave the receive side on carrier squelch unless it's absolutely necessary.

Also, leave the "Q-codes" on the HAM bands. Very few people rock them on F/GM/MURS unless they're deliberately trying to sound like outsiders.

Last edited by Darth_vader; 12-23-2013 at 2:27 PM.. Reason: PL
Old 12-23-2013, 5:29 PM

I don't even say "how about it" on the CB or the "ear" question. hahaha

I've never had a problem with swallowing my pride on the radio either. I'm not sure about the "breaker breaker" thing however.

Nor have I been using Q codes on the GMRS side. I did hear some guy using his HAM call sign on GMRS. I found that funny.

I have been trying the following: This is WABC123 listening. Just like we used to do on the ham bands.

Good look on the PL idea too. I had actually thought about that and programmed 141.3 for tx and CSQ for rx.
Old 12-23-2013, 6:18 PM

"I'm not sure about the 'breaker' thing, however. I have been trying the following: 'this is WABC123 listening'. Just like we used to do on the ham bands."

That's basically what I do ~95% of the time. I really don't do the "breaker" thing on the air (even on CB) very often unless the situation warrants it, e.g. I'm travelling and need a generic hailling call, or Sewer Shark is ratchetjawing on CB 17 again and someone needs to jump in and cut him off. I will occasionally drop a "how about it" or the "ears" question on *RS when I'm hailling somebody specific, though.

Guess it depends on the local customs and traditions.

Last edited by Darth_vader; 12-23-2013 at 6:21 PM.. Reason: punctuation, spacing
Old 12-24-2013, 5:50 AM

Default GMRS custom and usage

Welcome to GMRS B Chief!

Just about all the repeater systems I have made contact on over the years just use plain English. When I am traveling and I want to make contact I keep it pretty simple and using regular language. Something like, "This is KAA 8142, Chicago unit 504, is there anybody on the 675 system here in _____?" If I don't get an answer after 2 or at the most 3 tries, I say something like "Chicago unit 504 clear, KAA 8142." For example, when I was traveling in Seattle a couple of years ago, that approach worked well and I got an answer on .675. They gave me some directions and traveller assistance. (I later found out the system was part of the Seattle Earthquake Communications Hubs.)

On systems where I already know someone I say something like "Chicago 504 to Washington 475." Or "This is Chicago 504, is there anyone on the Washington System?" Pretty simple and straightforward. Unit numbers are pretty prevalent on the more organized GMRS repeaters. Most such repeaters have system names, for example the 725 system in Evanston, Illinois is called the "UComm" system, UComm 592 is the owner. Our NSEA systems are just called "Chicago" systems.

Some systems are closed, that is they do no want other people utilizing their repeater at all (like one in Brooklyn, New York). That may be why they don't answer you. Of course that's their prerogative, so I just sign out and forget it.

Bear in mind than many of the early personal GMRS repeaters were put up by former Class D users who started out there BEFORE the trucker take over of 27 MHz. CB slang is the LAST thing we ever want to hear on GMRS! LOL. Handles are NEVER used, we just stick to real names, e.g., "the name here is Randy".

Also, most systems I am familiar with emphasize a more efficient, business-like form of communication in contrast to the longer more chat like conversations prevalent in Ham 2 meters. For example, on the Chicago systems, if a transient user starts to engage in a longer conversation more than a couple of minutes, we (politely) encourage them to not tie up the frequency too long. This is an extension of GMRS radio net customs from public service projects, emergency operations, weekly radio nets, etc. (Really long winded users are referred to as "toggle-switch" operators, LOL.)

I wouldn't worry about any special "lingo" etc. Just be yourself and most systems I am familiar with will welcome you! If you would like to know more about GMRS public service group net procedure, I could point you to instructions for that posted on our website, just let me know if you are interested.

Again, welcome to GMRS!!!

Randy Knowles, KAA 8142.
Sponsored links

Old 12-24-2013, 7:02 AM

Great stuff here guys. I really appreciate the help. I'm thinking think that the Baltimore/DC area is just void of any GMRS activity. Since I travel though I'm sure I will find some activity somewhere.

...and thanks Randy.

Last edited by The_B_Chief; 12-24-2013 at 7:09 AM..
Old 12-24-2013, 2:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've only ever used my name. Treat GMRS repeaters the same as ham repeaters. I use Q codes occasionally but not very much. Im in Lubbock though, all of the GMRS repeaters were put up by hams and are mostly used by hams with GMRS licenses.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:40 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

It's always been my understanding that the GMRS isn't intended for random contacts (like calling CQ on the Ham bands), but for directed communications between 2 or more users under the same license; or between a transient licensee needing directions or other travelers assistance, and a local licensee with the knowledge/capability to provide the needed assistance.
How common are random contacts on the GMRS nowadays?
WPXJ598
Old 12-25-2013, 3:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What I've noticed a lot on gmrs is that it is not a service that you really sit around on and shoot the breeze. I've noticed a lot of keying up a repeater, exchanging 30 to 120 seconds of information and then going idle for 5 minutes or so. Users traffic has more of a commercial feel and purpose to it versus the long winded charts you hear on the ham repeaters.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Well that just stinks!! I want to shoot the breeze like we did in the old days.

Honestly it seems as if even the HAM radio repeaters are not as busy as they used to be either. One of the reasons I let my HAM ticket go was because at the time many of the older HAMS in my area didn't take much of a liking to us snotty nose punks joining THEIR hobby. They would key on us and refuse to help us with questions, problems and direction. But that was their right to do so. The CB community was much more helpful. This was a long time ago. I received my novice just a few days prior to my 12th birthday and I'm and old fart now.
Old 12-25-2013, 1:47 PM

"One of the reasons I let my HAM ticket go was because at the time many of the older HAMS in my area didn't take much of a liking to us snot-nosed punks joining 'their' hobby. They would key on us and refuse to help us with questions, problems and direction."

Well, you haven't missed out on much, then. Based on your description, not a lot has changed over the years.
Sponsored links

Old 12-25-2013, 2:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think the above statement just depends on where you are.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2013, 11:36 PM

Nope, it's that way everywhere. Everywhere in the world. You may not even know it's that way in your area, but it is.

(And for those unable to discern intent through characters on a visual display, I'm being 100% sarcastic. Hey, I think I have every right to, considering how bloody maddeningly wrong nearly everything this evening has gone. Is it the 26th yet?)
Old 12-26-2013, 2:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default GMRS Repeaters

Darth, vent if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2013, 2:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_B_Chief View Post
Well that just stinks!! I want to shoot the breeze like we did in the old days.

Honestly it seems as if even the HAM radio repeaters are not as busy as they used to be either. One of the reasons I let my HAM ticket go was because at the time many of the older HAMS in my area didn't take much of a liking to us snotty nose punks joining THEIR hobby. They would key on us and refuse to help us with questions, problems and direction. But that was their right to do so. The CB community was much more helpful. This was a long time ago. I received my novice just a few days prior to my 12th birthday and I'm and old fart now.
If the local 2M/70cm repeaters in your area are not very active, that's still no reason to not get back into ham radio! Go for your Technician license, then upgrade to either General or Extra class and get on the HF bands where there's plenty of activity. Talk locally or around the world, it's all possible on the HF bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_vader View Post
Nope, it's that way everywhere. Everywhere in the world. You may not even know it's that way in your area, but it is.

(And for those unable to discern intent through characters on a visual display, I'm being 100% sarcastic. Hey, I think I have every right to, considering how bloody maddeningly wrong nearly everything this evening has gone. Is it the 26th yet?)
Darth, you always have to be so dramatic **sarcasm**

I've noticed a decline in activity in my area on VHF/UHF over the past 10 years. In my city we've got about 25 repeaters on 2 Meters and about 3 of them ever have any regular activity. Not that I mind though, my 2 Meter radio very rarely every strays from the one repeater I hang out on, we've got about 15 regular users that I've become good friends with. There's usually someone around to chat with, and if not, I turn on the HF radio and can always find someone to talk to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
It's always been my understanding that the GMRS isn't intended for random contacts (like calling CQ on the Ham bands), but for directed communications between 2 or more users under the same license; or between a transient licensee needing directions or other travelers assistance, and a local licensee with the knowledge/capability to provide the needed assistance.
Getting back on topic of GMRS, this has always been my assumption as well. GMRS is for talking to people you already know and for getting assistance. By design it's not intended to be a "chit-chat and meet new people" radio service. Sure, it happens but most people who use GMRS aren't looking to make new radio buddies.
Old 12-26-2013, 6:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default GMRS Repeaters

I have a portable repeater I use for hunting. Several of my friends have the same. One has a ranch repeater. I'm working on a ranch repeater but it's slow going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk