• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQPX912

Hello all, I have a GMRS license, my name is my call sign, now i purchased the Motorola ms350r radio's. I got these cause of there price and repeater function. My question is, how do i get ahold of an repeater owner to allow me to use there repeater? I understand some are free and some with fee's. I scan the channels and hear people using 21r, so I'm assuming that if i can hear them, that i should be close enough to use. I wanted the repeater function as a WSHTF situation and i need to communicate with my family. I've done the google search on chicago repeaters but nothing comes up around my area, so i'm assuming that it must be private? If there's any people in chicago that could help me out, i would appreciate your help!!!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hello all, I have a GMRS license, my name is my call sign, now i purchased the Motorola ms350r radio's. I got these cause of there price and repeater function. My question is, how do i get ahold of an repeater owner to allow me to use there repeater? I understand some are free and some with fee's. I scan the channels and hear people using 21r, so I'm assuming that if i can hear them, that i should be close enough to use. I wanted the repeater function as a WSHTF situation and i need to communicate with my family. I've done the google search on chicago repeaters but nothing comes up around my area, so i'm assuming that it must be private? If there's any people in chicago that could help me out, i would appreciate your help!!!

Also what connor suggested. I think the repeater pair you're hearing would be 462.700mhz. so if you become a member, your repeater owners details should be on that site, if they're licensed. ;)
Your call sign wqpx912 is also missing a number, to be a valid GMRS call.

n9zas
kaf3877

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

n9zas
kaf3877

It is a valid call sign. I looked it up on FCC ULS. Mine is also 4 letters and three numbers.

Your call (KAF3877) is the older style, 3 letters and 4 numbers. I also noticed that it expired quite a while ago, John.

License Search

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
True. strange because I tried to look up 4X3 calls on mygmrs.com and it doesn't search those calls.
Yeah, I'm not renewing my call either until the FCC makes up their minds what they are going to do with licensing.

n9zas

N4KVE

I think you did this backwards. In my mind, I would first find a repeater owner, get permission, & then fork out the dough for a GMRS license. This way you didn't spend the money for nothing. Many GMRS owners only want their friends on their system, & don't allow outsiders on it. Just my opinion & that's how I would have handled it. GARY

WQPX912

Moonboots, u r correct on i should of checked before hand so save money, and thanks to everyone for the replies, i figured that if the repeater owner saw that i was legal, that would see that i'm a serious user and not a jerk. I don't hope or think it was a waste of 85 dollars, just for now, atleast me and my wife and child can use the radio's on gmrs channels legally. And just a quick review on the ms350r radio's, i did a quick range test and got about almost a mile from house before static and where in a heavily dense city. I was alittle surprised on that, seeing the bubble pack radios are not that great on range.

WQPX912

call sign

gewecke, you had me scared there for a second, thinking i applied for the wrong license, but i just checked it and its all correct and proper license. Now that would of been a waste of 85 dollars and the wife not really pleased with me.

gewecke

Banned
gewecke, you had me scared there for a second, thinking i applied for the wrong license, but i just checked it and its all correct and proper license. Now that would of been a waste of 85 dollars and the wife not really pleased with me.

Yeah sorry, several years ago they were issuing 3x4 calls now since then I guess it's 4x3 calls. I personally hope they keep the licensing fee in some ways, because it may keep the riff raff from getting worse on the repeater pairs, but then it's been up in the air for so long that I think some legal ops are just letting their licenses lapse, while continuing to operate.
I'm not sure the band is worth renewing the license.

n9zas

WQPX912

I'm a total novice

I was thinking about doing that, but i wouldn't have a slight clue on where to start and how much it would cost, what equipment i would need, not sure on the rules towards the height of antenna for where i live. But i will look more into it, though

nonperson

I was thinking about doing that, but i wouldn't have a slight clue on where to start and how much it would cost, what equipment i would need, not sure on the rules towards the height of antenna for where i live. But i will look more into it, though

Search You Tube for some ideas and see what others have done. You can also check this forum's thread out: Building my EmComm - Survivalist Forum

n1das

Also what connor suggested. I think the repeater pair you're hearing would be 462.700mhz. so if you become a member, your repeater owners details should be on that site, if they're licensed. ;)

n9zas
kaf3877

GMRS callsigns are issued thru the Universal Licensing System (ULS). You get the next callsign that comes up in the system when the license is issued but the format isn't necessarily defined by the radio service. For example WQPX911 may have been assigned to a fire department (operating under Part 90), the OP was assigned WQPX912, WQPX913 may get issued to a business, etc. The callsign format doesn't necessarily follow a particular radio service like it used to.

I'm GMRS-licensed as KAE9013, first issued in December, 1992. I've kept it valid and it resembles an old CB callsign and predates the ULS. I was licensed before the creation of FRS and the bubble pack invasion that followed. Friends of mine who recently became GMRS-licensed all have 4x3 callsigns, starting with W.

WQPX912, check out mygmrs.com.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Wow, well I guess we learn something new everyday! ;)

Thanks.

n9zas

Pipster

"WQPX913 may get issued to a business, etc. The callsign format doesn't necessarily follow a particular radio service like it used to."

that one went to a fellow in MT. GMRS as well.

N9PTC

WQPX912 said:
I scan the channels and hear people using 21r, so I'm assuming that if i can hear them, that i should be close enough to use.

Don't assume you'll be able to talk on a repeater if you can hear it. GMRS allows us to use radios that have an output of up to 50 watts. I'm guessing your radio is a hand held that puts out no more than 5 watts. So a 50 watt repeater using a gain antenna on a tall building or tower could transmit at great distances but you with your hand held might not have enough power to get back to the repeater. Or you may be close enough, but as I said just because you can hear it does not mean you can talk to it.

GMRS WPQS324
Ham N9PTC

vorndamr

See my reply to "Cheap Repeater - Will it Work" under this forum for more details on building your own repeater. Rod

WQPX912

repeater update

Ok, listening the a repeater channel in the area, and finely got ahold of the owner of the repeater, and is allowing me to use it, for free, what a wonderful gentleman, and with these 2 watt radios (ms350r) i can get atleast 10 miles away in the congested area of chicago, no problem!! Now I'm lookn on ebay for a desktop repeater now, seems that there's alot of there, not sure if there narrowband compliant though, well thats the update,

WQPX912 out!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.