RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 11:28 PM

I mentioned this in a different thread about this same topic, I like to and try to obey the rules, I always say if I feel it's ok to disobey the rules I do not like, then why is it wrong for the next guy to disobey the rules he does not like ? He might think it's a stupid law that he cannot "borrow" my truck whenever he feels like it.

That having been said - the issue I have with identifying with my FCC issued call sign is that any wack job can look up my call sign and show up at my house. I currently use GMRS properly - everyone I speak with is licensed - mostly my family around a large parcel of land- occasionally communicate with neighbors who are friends, who might give me a hollar on the radio and tell me they are going to (big town) ask me if I need anything - or ask me to keep an eye out for their dog - they will be back in a couple of hours. I do not need anyone being able to show up at my place or their place by looking up my call sign. I am making arrangements to change the address of the license just so that cannot happen.
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2014, 9:12 PM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
I mentioned this in a different thread about this same topic, I like to and try to obey the rules, I always say if I feel it's ok to disobey the rules I do not like, then why is it wrong for the next guy to disobey the rules he does not like ? He might think it's a stupid law that he cannot "borrow" my truck whenever he feels like it.

That having been said - the issue I have with identifying with my FCC issued call sign is that any wack job can look up my call sign and show up at my house. I currently use GMRS properly - everyone I speak with is licensed - mostly my family around a large parcel of land- occasionally communicate with neighbors who are friends, who might give me a hollar on the radio and tell me they are going to (big town) ask me if I need anything - or ask me to keep an eye out for their dog - they will be back in a couple of hours. I do not need anyone being able to show up at my place or their place by looking up my call sign. I am making arrangements to change the address of the license just so that cannot happen.
What is the difference in some whack job looking up you GMRS call sign and looking up a ham call sign,you get the same results.If you are worried about who is going to find you get a PO box and use it to get a license sent there.
Old 01-26-2014, 9:15 PM
Temporarily Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8zgw View Post
It just the same as part 97 ( Amateur radio, for those scoring at home)
IF you are using a shared repeater in GMRS, it's likely better NOT to
ID the repeater ( unlike part 97).
BUT, I'm sorry, but I don't what the big deal with saying,
"19W4514 101 to 105" ... chat with unit 105 for 5 or 10 minutes,
then say "19W4514 101 clear" .... done then the other guy might say "105 clear".

Watch the second hand of your clock, it takes 3 or 4 seconds to ID,
why is this a chore ?

Don
Don,
My point exactly but you know human nature which seems do as you please as the new norm.
Old 01-27-2014, 2:32 AM

Default Wow!!

Wow! 19W4514!!! That is an OLD Call Sign Mister - 1963 or earlier!!!

Randy Knowles KAA 8142 (ex 18N1234 from 1962).
Old 01-27-2014, 9:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It was the late 50's, got my ham call in 60 ;-)
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2014, 4:56 PM

Default Really old Call Sign

Very cool Don

Was that a Class D or a Class A or B Call Sign? (If before 1958 obviopusly not Class D).

Randy Knowles, KAA 8142
Old 01-27-2014, 5:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Class D 11 meters
Old 03-07-2014, 8:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Use your address if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
...That having been said - the issue I have with identifying with my FCC issued call sign is that any wack job can look up my call sign and show up at my house . . . I am making arrangements to change the address of the license just so that cannot happen.
Shouldn't be a very complicated arrangement to change your address. You can do it online at the FCC licensing site; no fee. They update it with a couple of days and send you a new hard copy of your license. You have to use an address where you can receive mail, of course.

Do you have work address you can use? The mail room where I work delivers my FCC mail just like they deliver trade magazines and vendor Christmas cards.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Or get a cheap P.O. Box at the local post office, or at a business (Mail Boxes Etc, Mail Boxes & More, or something similar in your locale) that rents them out.
It doesn't even have to be in the same city as your home address. You could rent one a town or two away. Just as long as you are able to check your mail and respond to any FCC inquiries within the 10 day(?) time limit that they require you to.
My dad is a retired letter carrier, and we had a box at the office he worked at in the next city over for quite awhile even after he retired.

Last edited by KB7MIB; 03-08-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2014, 2:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The PO box or private mail box (pmb) rental works for many people. I did it for couple of years and got too lazy to keep checking it. I lived in small town but the PO was on the opposite end of it and not in my normal "orbit". Again, it was simple laziness, but I didn't bother going over more than once a month to check it. Since I only used it for my license, that was the only thing the FCC ever sent me, my license. No other correspondence ever came from the FCC. The only thing I got in that box was ham related junk mail and the local advertising circulars addressed to "boxholder."

You know... If Starbucks rented out PMBs, between my wife and me, it'd get checked every single day.
Old 03-10-2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd640 View Post
What is the difference in some whack job looking up you GMRS call sign and looking up a ham call sign,you get the same results.If you are worried about who is going to find you get a PO box and use it to get a license sent there.
no difference at all ! none whatsoever !