RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1SOP View Post
I'm afraid a two way radio is of little use unless you know in advance someone will be listening to you.
Having a radio can make it much easier for rescuers to locate you, if your emergency plan includes informing family and friends what frequency(ies) you'll be monitoring, and your monitoring schedule in the event of an emergency. The odds of a rescuer being within 5 miles of your position (a reasonable range for a HT if the rescuer is in an air asset, and you are not in a hole or the bottom of a deep canyon) are exponentially greater than having to be in visual contact with you.

I wouldn't expect a radio to reliably eliminate the need for a cell phone in a remote area without cell coverage. It's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates--you key the mic and you never know what you'll get. But having a chance of contacting rescuers or summoning emergency aid beats the heck out of sitting under a tree and waiting to die.
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2016, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2iyh View Post
You so called experts seem to forget, the FCC says in an emergency, any frequency at anytime to get help.
Good luck with that.

97.403 only apply to Part 97 frequencies. It does not give you any protection when using part 90 frequencies. Regardless, It won't help you when you are being prosecuted under state and/or local laws.

Better to be prepared with something that will actually get you help. Like SPOT, INREACH or a PLB. Those are the tools folks carry that are prepared to face emergencies. Not a radio modified/programmed with frequencies 'just in case'.
Old 11-03-2016, 5:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.
Default Below is the thread that was beaten to death:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ama...ons-rules.html

and this thread resurrected after 3 year old last post.....
Old 11-03-2016, 5:57 AM

As far as a unlicensed individual using the amateur frequencies in an emergency..

Am I going to call/send resources to a remote area because a random voice, without a call sign claims there's an emergency? No.

Even with a call sign, there's going to be a delay before I call anyone. Attempt to verify first.
Old 07-14-2017, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporrt View Post
As far as a unlicensed individual using the amateur frequencies in an emergency..

Am I going to call/send resources to a remote area because a random voice, without a call sign claims there's an emergency? No.

Even with a call sign, there's going to be a delay before I call anyone. Attempt to verify first.

Damn that's a good point. But if they keep calling, given battery on the injured party radio. And you can triangulate with other hams who are versed is SEARCH RESCUE you might be okay reporting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2017, 4:40 PM

Amateur radio operators are not trained to decide if a call is legitimate or not. If someone is calling for help, even if they don't have a call sign, you have a duty to pass that on to public safety dispatchers. They will dispatch help and then a determination will be made if it's a hoax call or not.

I know of no public safety agency that would ignore a call for help. In fact, it's usually the opposite, if they get a call, there are requirements that they dispatch unless they have a REALLY good reason not to. Usually it's not up to the dispatcher.

I'd hope that an amateur radio operator would not be deciding who gets help and who doesn't based off call sign or not. That's just scary. Amateur radio operators confusing their hobby with being an actual public safety professional is dangerous.
Old 07-14-2017, 4:44 PM
Moderator---not censor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

This was dead for 3 1/2 years, resurrected, dead for another year and back again with the same results.

Closing.