• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CTCSS Vs. DCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnoyeb

Seems to me that if two radios transmit a CTCSS code at the same time, a 3rd radio would hear both. This is because CTCSS is just a frequency and two sources of the same frequency won't interfere much with each other.

However, DCS being a digital code might interfere with another radio transmitting the same code such that the 3rd radio won't hear anyone.

Is this true?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Strongest signal at the receiver wins regardless of CTCSS or DCS as long as the receiver and transmitter are using the same CTCSS or DCS.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
I think what he's getting at is that CTCSS won't matter, but if two radios were transmitting a DCS code at the same time, the bit stream might get garbled and the receiving radio would not open the squelch. But practically, the signal strengths would be different, the FM capture effect would also help and one radio would present the better signal and a good bitstream.

dnoyeb

How can the receiver tell the difference between two signals overlaid on the same frequency? Once the squelch opens wouldn't all present signals come in?

quarterwave

What's the point...or maybe I should say, what is the practical application you are a trying to achieve?

This is only done reliably with simulcasting, where a GPS clock signal syncs both TX to to allow the RX to hear both without any issues.

RKG

Strongest signal at the receiver wins regardless of CTCSS or DCS as long as the receiver and transmitter are using the same CTCSS or DCS.

This is what is known as the "FM Capture Effect." Works, but only if two incoming signals vary in signal strength by about 6 dB. If they are closer in comparative signal strength, you will get a superheterodyne clash, and anything could result.

RKG

How can the receiver tell the difference between two signals overlaid on the same frequency? Once the squelch opens wouldn't all present signals come in?

True in theory, and in practice using AM product detectors. However, the "capture effect" is such that if one incoming signal is sufficiently stronger than the other, the FM product detector will follow the zero voltage crossing points of the stronger signal and essentially not see those of t he weaker signal.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
If I understand DCS correctly, it's a continuous data stream, so even if the receiver unsquelches, a second signal of nearly identical strength with the same bit stream could conceivably mess up the data stream being received and the receiver would squelch up.

Practically, it probably wouldn't happen...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The squelch merely "mutes" the audio. You have to consider what is going on ahead of the squelch circuit and actually what is being fed into the CT/DC decoder. If one of the signals is strong enough, it wins. If there are multiple signals of "equal" strength, it's a mess. It's not like they'd be cleanly mixed to provide the scenario you describe; although theoretically possible if carriers are exactly identical, in sync, etc. Highly unlikely.

rambo3

Gentlemen, I am new at this.
What's the difference CTCSS Vs. DCS. I have a GMRS radio. Does it make a difference which codes I use in distance, clarity etc?.

MeddleMan

agreeing with davedaver1

However, with dcs, it would only open the squelch of participating radios with the same code programmed. This allows you to select groups on the same frequency without alerting all radios on same frequency. Signal strength, covered by other poster still stand true. I don't know any FRS/GMRS radios that use DCS, but only CTCSS. Have fun.

swylie

Premium Subscriber
Closely Related Question?

Can a transmitter or in this case a repeater transmit both ctcss and dcs be transmitted at the same time? In this case what I'm trying to achieve is using the dcs as an identifier being decoded and used to display what repeater was being used while the ctcss tone is used to open the squelch on the receivers.

swylie

Premium Subscriber
We would have a dcs decoder on the receiver and depending what dcs code was received would translate into a identifier.

quarterwave

Never heard of this at all. I'm not sure you could transmit both at the same time, they both occupy the sub-audible space in the carrier, never seen equipment that would do it, but I suppose one could stack a secondary encoder on the repeater Tx.

I think it would be much easier to do it either by 1. DTMF - send short burst, even 2 digits at the beginning or end of the keyup of the repeater, then you can decode that at the control station, as you describe. Each repeater having it's own DTMF code. Or 2. A voice controller that actually announces which repeater it is. (and I have seen a #3....send MDC1200).

Status
Not open for further replies.