RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Post Motorola 2 way frequencies

When using the sub channels,ie. ch 21 and 54 of the privacy codes, does that alter the frequency used? Is there a listing of them if so?
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2013, 5:01 PM

No, it does not change the frequency, the privacy code is just the tone that the radio listens for. If you have the owners manual for the radio, then you should be able to lookup the hz value that it listens for. Channel 21 is always going to be 462.700 (if that is corect from my memory).
Old 05-08-2013, 6:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Nope, it is typically the same frequencies with a sub audible Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System or DCS attached that acts as a filter for radio traffic. Even with these "sub channels," you can still definitely get interference if other people are using the same channel. I found the link below that has a chart with sub channel to CTCSS tones.

GMRS and FRS Frequencies and CTCSS Tones
Old 05-08-2013, 8:28 PM

thankyou very much, I am just learning about all of this.
Old 05-09-2013, 4:39 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Motorola 2 way frequencies

Also, if you aren't using a privacy code and are just on the regular channel, you will here all of the people using privacy codes on that channel, but they will not be able to hear you.
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM

I am trying to make an antenna best matched for my needs but can only seem to find info on making base station antennas
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 AM

are there any good mods for motorola 2 ways that you know of?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Short answer is no. Without getting into a long drawn our mess a FRS radio is built per FCC regulations and how it comes is how it is used. Do a search on the forum and you will find thiscomes up quie often.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Bubble pack radios tend to only do PL (Motorola for CTCSS) some guys will use DPL (DCS/DTCSS) to keep bubble pack radios from being able to hit their repeaters or interrupting their simplex comms.

I'm not too familiar with how bubble pack (22 ch radios often bought in pairs) do their frequencies. If ch 21 462.700 MHz then I'd see it how Icom organizes their GMRS channels (channel 7).
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2013, 9:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5PKY View Post
Bubble pack radios tend to only do PL (Motorola for CTCSS) some guys will use DPL (DCS/DTCSS) to keep bubble pack radios from being able to hit their repeaters or interrupting their simplex comms.

I'm not too familiar with how bubble pack (22 ch radios often bought in pairs) do their frequencies. If ch 21 462.700 MHz then I'd see it how Icom organizes their GMRS channels (channel 7).
Fyi, most of the GMRS/ FRS bubble packs on the market now include both PL and DPL and a few are even repeater capable like the MR350's

n9zas
Old 06-19-2013, 9:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Fyi, most of the GMRS/ FRS bubble packs on the market now include both PL and DPL and a few are even repeater capable like the MR350's

n9zas
Didn't see the users manual on the MR350 mention repeaters but it did mention PL and DPL (however it did not define how their number correlates to which PL/DPL). I know some of the newer bubble packs will do repeaters but they won't do split tones. Then again, going split tones is just kind of mean…
Old 06-19-2013, 5:05 PM

"I'm not too familiar with how bubble-pack radios do their frequencies. If channel 21 is 462.700 MHz, I'd like to see how Icom organizes their GMRS channels (channel 7)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMRS#Frequency_chart

I think the Motorola numbering convention is probably the most widely used ("de facto" standard) arrangement in the "blister pack" F/GMRS dual-service rigs.
Old 06-19-2013, 7:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5PKY View Post
Didn't see the users manual on the MR350 mention repeaters but it did mention PL and DPL (however it did not define how their number correlates to which PL/DPL). I know some of the newer bubble packs will do repeaters but they won't do split tones. Then again, going split tones is just kind of mean…
I don't own a pair of them, but the store where I work does sell them. From this statement in the manual apparently there is a method for this,

Here's the statement,

REPEATER FUNCTION – IMPROVES YOUR COVERAGE BEYOND THE HORIZON
Maximize your camping, sporting or hunting experience by improving your radio transmission coverage* when talking to family or group members who sometimes wander far beyond the line of sight. Thanks to the built-in repeater channels, the MS350 works well with a local repeater station to carry your signal further. Take advantage of this value-added feature by switching to GMRS channels 15R-22R, but don’t forget you’ll need a GMRS license and an accessible repeater station to take advantage of this unique feature.***

n9zas
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I purchased a MR35* and returned after testing it was the yellow floating radios, two for 73 after tax. channels 1-7 FRS 1/2 watt. channels 8 and up were GMRS at 1 or 2 watt's the last 7 channels on the radio were already set up in pairs. 467/462 for repeater use. These radios were easy to set up. but very poor for anything other than very local use. "Do not use these radios in the cab of your truck or car" since they include the FRS channels, they are not allowed to have a removable antenna. Consider a CCR "cheap Chinese radio" There are many to chose from. CCR's include a removable antenna, much safer to attach to a mag mount antenna and use in your truck or car. they also transmit up to the 5 watt's allowable by the FCC on GMRS HT's. Some claim since these radios are not part95 cert. they are not legal to use, However I believe there is much room for interpretation. I also believe that when it comes to emergency communications, I want the best radio I can have. Spend as you wish, but do the research first.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Or just buy a GMRS only radio. FRS restrictions make these bubble pak radios useless.
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2013, 3:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan005 View Post
I purchased a MR35* and returned after testing it was the yellow floating radios, two for 73 after tax. channels 1-7 FRS 1/2 watt. channels 8 and up were GMRS at 1 or 2 watt's the last 7 channels on the radio were already set up in pairs. 467/462 for repeater use. These radios were easy to set up. but very poor for anything other than very local use. "Do not use these radios in the cab of your truck or car" since they include the FRS channels, they are not allowed to have a removable antenna. Consider a CCR "cheap Chinese radio" There are many to chose from. CCR's include a removable antenna, much safer to attach to a mag mount antenna and use in your truck or car. they also transmit up to the 5 watt's allowable by the FCC on GMRS HT's. Some claim since these radios are not part95 cert. they are not legal to use, However I believe there is much room for interpretation. I also believe that when it comes to emergency communications, I want the best radio I can have. Spend as you wish, but do the research first.
I've yet to find an HT that will do 5W on the UHF side. Most will only do 4W (or at least the ones I have).
Old 06-20-2013, 8:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

yep, all of mine are 4 watts also, although I have a new Kruier radio for my HAM stuff, that claims 8 watt's. I may never know as I can not get the software to install. 4 watt's is a lot closer to 5 than 1 or 2 watt's. FRS use in a car or truck is mostly safe at 1/2 watt but most likely ineffectual as much of the ERP is deflected and not radiated in an efficient pattern. more power does not improve your chances of getting a signal out of a vehicle it only increases your exposure to harmful RF radiation. I consider an external antenna necessary when operating in my truck, or any car. a good mag mount and a CCR with a removable antenna get's the job done.
Old 06-20-2013, 8:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Mine too are mostly 4 watts out on uhf, but the difference between 4 and 5 watts out is minute at best anyway, but the option of a external antenna is a MUST!

n9zas
Old 06-20-2013, 8:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan005 View Post
yep, all of mine are 4 watts also, although I have a new Kruier radio for my HAM stuff, that claims 8 watt's. I may never know as I can not get the software to install. 4 watt's is a lot closer to 5 than 1 or 2 watt's. FRS use in a car or truck is mostly safe at 1/2 watt but most likely ineffectual as much of the ERP is deflected and not radiated in an efficient pattern. more power does not improve your chances of getting a signal out of a vehicle it only increases your exposure to harmful RF radiation. I consider an external antenna necessary when operating in my truck, or any car. a good mag mount and a CCR with a removable antenna get's the job done.
This. Once I get past 10 miles or so I can no longer key up the repeater from the car. I've gone as far as 17 miles if I'm not in the car on a stock antenna. I've never found a need to go above 25W on my external antenna for repeater use. Most high gain UHF external antennas are some where around +6 dBi. In theory, two commercial receivers with +6 dBi antennas should be able to make 20 miles at 4W.

Tags
frequencys, frs/gmrs