RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennFordTN View Post
Could my problem with trying to stick to the FRS, MURS bands be solved by getting my ham license and choosing whatever frequency has no traffic? Or should I go the GMRS route, which still leaves me at a crossroads with the radio/mobile situation?
With ham radio, everyone else has to have a license to use the bands.
With GMRS, your immediate family is covered by your license. Again, everyone else needs to be licensed also.
With MURS, no one needs licensing. But, as explained, you need to get radios that are FCC type certified for a variety of reasons. Power limits, bandwidths, etc..
Not being the radio police. Just putting it in simple words. You're going to do what you want to get the comms out there no matter what all of us post.
HTH,
Larry
Old 02-14-2014, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_19 View Post
I have a similar situation on my property hilly and trees, but was thinking of geting a handheld CB. How would this be compared to MURS?

I don't see what is off-topic about this question. So far nobody has suggested handheld CBs.
I had a couple of portable CBs once upon a time. They did fine and would probably work for the property in question. The property I used them on was about 50 acres and the signal was very strong throughout (used outdoors). When the signal is strong, its great but when the signal is weak, it really kind of fades out. I do prefer FM for that reason and better versatility as it will do better in developed areas too. BUT once again, the OP is looking for something that is more durable than your run of the mill Fisher Price walkie talkie set.
Old 02-14-2014, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
I don't see what is off-topic about this question. So far nobody has suggested handheld CBs.
I had a couple of portable CBs once upon a time. They did fine and would probably work for the property in question. The property I used them on was about 50 acres and the signal was very strong throughout (used outdoors). When the signal is strong, its great but when the signal is weak, it really kind of fades out. I do prefer FM for that reason and better versatility as it will do better in developed areas too. BUT once again, the OP is looking for something that is more durable than your run of the mill Fisher Price walkie talkie set.
I currently have a CB mobile installed in my truck, and I weighed the option of having several handhelds ( and I'm still open to it), but the main downside i see is the size of the handhelds. Seems like they might be too bulky to have on your person while doing tasks such as using a chainsaw or other tasks that might accidently hit a large CB handheld off your belt. Still open to CB though.
Might buy a handheld to have anyways, but I'll also try the range.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
Since this is MURS thread, could post your question about CB in the CB forum. I did not search in that thread but I know the question of CB hand held has been discussed countless times. Too put it simply and not to high jack this thread, CB would be crappy.
It was a valid question, asking how a CB HH would compare to a MURS HH, for a MURS thread.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.
Old 02-14-2014, 1:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile UHF VS VHF

Quote:
I'm new to these forums and recently new to the radio waves but I have a question.
MURS or FRS?
I own a little more than 100 acres of half-flat, half-hill property with extensive amount of trees and hills. My family and I, and sometimes friends, use this property (or as we call it, the "farm") for all sorts of activities from bush-hogging and grading to tree cutting, hiking, hunting, and four-wheeler riding. We currently used various sorts of "off the shelf" Motorola FRS radios both older and new. Over time these radios didn't hold up, due to clips breaking, extreme use, water situations, etc. Also I noticed on these consumer radios, the range was never as it said on the box, and the speakers were never loud enough.
I've done research and I've looked into two things. One is Buying a radio such as a Baofeng UV-5RA, powering down, and lining up the channels with other FRS radios, and going. The second was using the MURS channels and also buying a Baofeng ( because of the price) and etc. The reason I ask this question is due to the legality. I've heard both sides, and I think using the Baofeng radio on the MURS is legal compared to FRS but I just don't know.
What would you do?
Choosing a mode of communication isn't hard at all When think about it, VHF has more benefits in Suburban / Wilderness areas the UHF. There are several differences with in the FRS / GMRS, such as power restrictions. If you stick on UHF, you may want to find UHF mobile radios that are typed excepted for GMRS, because unlike FRS, with GMRS,, you a have freedom such as transmitting power. You also able to external antennas and repeater stations.
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
I currently have a CB mobile installed in my truck, and I weighed the option of having several handhelds ( and I'm still open to it), but the main downside i see is the size of the handhelds. Seems like they might be too bulky to have on your person while doing tasks such as using a chainsaw or other tasks that might accidently hit a large CB handheld off your belt. Still open to CB though.
Might buy a handheld to have anyways, but I'll also try the range.
They are pretty darn big but back in the day the alternative was also pretty darn big. Everything was big. e didn't have Baofengs that fit in your shirt pocket. It'll be cheaper but I thought you were looking for durable.
Old 02-14-2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:
They are pretty darn big but back in the day the alternative was also pretty darn big. Everything was big. e didn't have Baofengs that fit in your shirt pocket. It'll be cheaper but I thought you were looking for durable.
I'm definitely looking for durability. Thanks everyone for the help so far. It's been a huge help.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 PM

Default VHF outdoors; UHF indoors

Basic radio probagation has proven that VHF works better outdoors and UHF works better indoors. The 1/4 wave VHF signal is roughly 18" long (tall) which will punch better through vegetation. The UHF 1/4 wave signal is roughly 6" long (tall) and is easily absorbed by vegetation, especially pine trees. The short UHF signal bounces good indoors. My Dad had 100 acres with two 50 acre pastures (open) separated by a tree line. I gave him two Motorola SP-10 portable radios, VHF, 1 watt and they worked just fine. These are out of production but can be bought on eBay. They are a cheap plastic, so don't drop it on concrete.
Quote:
I'm new to these forums and recently new to the radio waves but I have a question.
MURS or FRS?
I own a little more than 100 acres of half-flat, half-hill property with extensive amount of trees and hills. My family and I, and sometimes friends, use this property (or as we call it, the "farm") for all sorts of activities from bush-hogging and grading to tree cutting, hiking, hunting, and four-wheeler riding. We currently used various sorts of "off the shelf" Motorola FRS radios both older and new. Over time these radios didn't hold up, due to clips breaking, extreme use, water situations, etc. Also I noticed on these consumer radios, the range was never as it said on the box, and the speakers were never loud enough.
I've done research and I've looked into two things. One is Buying a radio such as a Baofeng UV-5RA, powering down, and lining up the channels with other FRS radios, and going. The second was using the MURS channels and also buying a Baofeng ( because of the price) and etc. The reason I ask this question is due to the legality. I've heard both sides, and I think using the Baofeng radio on the MURS is legal compared to FRS but I just don't know.
What would you do?
Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Does nobody bother to read anymore?
Sponsored links

Old 02-18-2014, 10:24 PM

"Everything was big. We didn't have Baofengs that fit in your shirt pocket."

Yeah, digital signal processors have definitely reduced the footprint of HTs, much like transistors did to tube rigs "back in the day". I eagerly look forward to the day when a $35 40 channel AM/SSB DSP-based CB HT, with selectable output power and a footprint roughly equivalent a UV5R candybar HT with the extended battery on, enters the market.

It's coming, man. Just give it a couple more years.
Old 02-19-2014, 9:07 AM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
To summarize, you know it is not legal but since the chances of getting caught are almost nonexistent it is ok to do it.
Do what hunters use Marine hand helds. LOL!

As to the OPs question get DTR or MURS.

Last edited by poltergeisty; 02-19-2014 at 9:11 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 9:19 AM

Default FRS or MURS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
Do what hunters use Marine hand helds. LOL!

As to the OPs question get DTR or MURS.

Honestly I really tossed around the idea of using Marine bands but we're just a stones throw away from high-traffic lake. I really liked that I would be able to put several mobile WATERPROOF radios in my tractor, UTV, etc and not have to worry about weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

IIRC, one manufacturer, (I don't recall which one, however), made waterproof mobile CB radios in a white case that resembled VHF Marine radios. They were intended for installation in boats.
Just throwing it out there.
I really wish one or more of the manufacturers would come out with purpose-built, type certified MURS and GMRS mobile radios.
Old 02-19-2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Honestly I really tossed around the idea of using Marine bands but we're just a stones throw away from high-traffic lake. I really liked that I would be able to put several mobile WATERPROOF radios in my tractor, UTV, etc and not have to worry about weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, since you're near a lake you might be more apt to get away with using marine radios. There are plenty of channels and I do believe you can get radios that do voice inversion and CTCSS to block out unwanted guests. Here's one. SAILOR SP3515: Portable VHF Radio from AST

Old 02-19-2014, 3:42 PM

If there's any radio service you are likely to get busted for breaking the rules, it is the marine band. That's because you also have the Coast Guard helping to find violators.
The FCC enforcement actions speak for themselves.
It's not worth it. Just get some radios in the right radio service. The purpose of the marine band is for safety of life and property. Don't be selfish. Think of others and the consequences illegal operation can have.
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2014, 5:55 PM

Not only that, some of the Marine frequencies are allocated to public safety inland.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.
Old 02-19-2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
Not only that, some of the Marine frequencies are allocated to public safety inland.
My town had the repeater output on one of the marine frequencies. But that's the output and is subcoded.

Old 02-19-2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
If there's any radio service you are likely to get busted for breaking the rules, it is the marine band. That's because you also have the Coast Guard helping to find violators.
The FCC enforcement actions speak for themselves.
It's not worth it. Just get some radios in the right radio service. The purpose of the marine band is for safety of life and property. Don't be selfish. Think of others and the consequences illegal operation can have.
I didn't know the Coats Guard was in Ten-I-See. If you are on the great lakes or ocean I can see them checking for violations of channels 9/16 though.

But Like I said. The OP should look into MURS or DTR.

Old 02-19-2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
I didn't know the Coats Guard was in Ten-I-See.
What you don't know could fill a thousand libraries.

The Coast Guard or "Coats Guard" as you call it patrols numerous inland lakes and rivers. Perhaps you've heard of the Mississippi River?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 AM

Observation:

Most "CB" radios in 18 wheel trucks are sold as something else.
Most MURS handhelds are sold as something else.
Most Marine band handhelds never get used in a boat.
Most GMRS radios are operated fresh out of the box.
Most radio priests never get tired of the chanting the same lines regardless of what good or harm it may do.

Bob

Tags
frs/gmrs, help anyone?, legality, murs, radio cops, tennessee