• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS and Summer Break

Whats your favorite FRS brand radio?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I wanted to know if people notice that the FRS has a ton load of kids on it in the summer because of their break. Does anybody else notice this?

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
Yep, around every break. If people were smart, and manufacturers still made them, they would buy their kids the 14 channel FRS only radios. I bought a couple of old Motorolas for my step daughter and her daughter. I know you can hear them clearly at my house, but not for more than a few blocks. The little kids get on and talk nonsense but they don't interfere very far. Also, I turned off all the call button sounds. That just irritates the hell out of me when a retard of any age likes to make noise.

Yep, around every break. If people were smart, and manufacturers still made them, they would buy their kids the 14 channel FRS only radios. I bought a couple of old Motorolas for my step daughter and her daughter. I know you can hear them clearly at my house, but not for more than a few blocks. The little kids get on and talk nonsense but they don't interfere very far. Also, I turned off all the call button sounds. That just irritates the hell out of me when a retard of any age likes to make noise.

That irritates me to. I agree about how far it go's. That is why I went to the MURS.

quarterwave

Yeah, but just like Christmas, parents soon tire of buying batteries and younger kids leave them on and run the batteries down fast, loose chargers, etc. So many are more interested in the iPad, radio is no fun.

I am hearing a little more activity, but some is supervised too.

Still more businesses trying to get by with FRS instead of the real radios they need. That's more of an issue...albeit they "can" use it by rule.

jhooten

The annoying attention tones are going off every few seconds. The kids seem to be having fun. So far they have not figured out how to change the channel off of 1 yet.

The annoying attention tones are going off every few seconds. The kids seem to be having fun. So far they have not figured out how to change the channel off of 1 yet.
It is like the stores on 467.850. They all concrgate on that channel.

Yep there is always kids on 1.

Last edited:

jaymatt1978

Calling people "retards" shows how callous people can be. You seem like a good dude, maybe even smart. It's juust not nice :mad:
. That just irritates the hell out of me when a retard of any age likes to make noise.

Last edited:
I heard some kids while scanning a while back. Just for laughs, I got on and told them I was the space station. I'm sure the stories they had to tell their pals were tall.

KD8DVR

We're on 900 MHz here. FRS/GMRS has minor activity. Could be easily useable. I let my license lapse after we got 900 MHZ and I got my ham license.

PACNWDude

I hear kids, and sometimes their parents all the time on FRS. Usually channel 1 for a Motorola variant. Often I also hear daycare and some schools using them for playground comms.
Some businesses use them for checking prices on items within their store. Then others talking about other co-workers who do not have radios.
Construction crews sometimes are on FRS as well. Once the kids get on after school, they switch to a GMRS channel. I am not sure if they have a license for that or not. Probably not as they change channels based on other users.
The best radio discipline I have heard outside of military personnel on a special operation is the local tuner car driving crowd trying to coordinate their next road race via FRS. They switch to pre-designated alternate channels once someone busts in on their comms. Now if the local police would just monitor FRS a little closer.

I hear kids, and sometimes their parents all the time on FRS. Usually channel 1 for a Motorola variant. Often I also hear daycare and some schools using them for playground comms.
Some businesses use them for checking prices on items within their store. Then others talking about other co-workers who do not have radios.
Construction crews sometimes are on FRS as well. Once the kids get on after school, they switch to a GMRS channel. I am not sure if they have a license for that or not. Probably not as they change channels based on other users.
The best radio discipline I have heard outside of military personnel on a special operation is the local tuner car driving crowd trying to coordinate their next road race via FRS. They switch to pre-designated alternate channels once someone busts in on their comms. Now if the local police would just monitor FRS a little closer.

Kids over here use channel 1 and use the GMRS.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
FRS on summer break

Todays kids don't want FRS they want trunked NEXEDGE or Phase 2 p25!

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wavecomm

A wavecomm is a very expensive utility decoder that handles virtually everything it's made in Switzerland. You can even eavesdrop on Inmarsat with it. I had a channel 14 CB walkie talkie when I was a kid. Hopefully tomorrow's generation will see hobbyists crack P25 encryption. Now that would make a hell of a science project.

A wavecomm is a very expensive utility decoder that handles virtually everything it's made in Switzerland. You can even eavesdrop on Inmarsat with it. I had a channel 14 CB walkie talkie when I was a kid. Hopefully tomorrow's generation will see hobbyists crack P25 encryption. Now that would make a hell of a science project.

Thank you for telling that to me about the radio. If they crack that let me know :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.