• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Digital on FRS / GMRS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I travel most of the state of Florida many times every month. I have a radio installed in my truck and while I travel I like to listen to FRS / GMRS as well as all the business band frequencies. I recently have discovered what seams to be a digital platform being used on many FRS / GMRS frequencies. I can't tell if it is DMR or P25. However I do know that is it some type of digital format being used on these frequencies. I have both P25 and DMR radios that I would be able to use to monitor and find out. However, trying to find the group numbers or NACs is too time consuming. Does anyone know if this is usual? Thanks.

PS: No radio police or negative comments. Thanks.

KD8DVR

Not legal on FRS and MRS. Possible dPMR. There are some cheap radios out there that likely are bein programmed for those frequencies. dPMR is not authorized for use in the USA. Not compatible with DMR/p25

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
@KD8DVR yea that's what I thought. I don't think it's dPMR because we're I heard this was in a rural area and people here don't tend to be radio smart. Lol Who knows tho. I thought it was crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starion1

I have a radio dedicated specifically for GMRS and leave it on scan 24/7 (carrier squelch) to monitor all activity. I must say that here in the SE Pennsylvania and Central/South Jersey area we've had a marked increase in GMRS/FRS activity, I did notice the digital mode (sounded like Mototrbo) over GMRS frequencies but what I heard was digital activity in the repeater mode. Maybe some repeater owners haven't read the FCC rules lately.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
@Starion1 I really don't care about the rules. The FCC doesn't enforce anything anymore. However I just thought that it was odd to hear digital on the FRS / GMRS bands. I wonder if it's businesses or if it's just someone that has a repeater and uses FRS freqs for personal coms. Lol hahaha Ether way I find it odd. I've been looking for a easier way to find out someone's color code, time slot, and group number on DMR, because you have to have all that right to even listen to DMR. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
@mikepdx Well that's the whole point of the question. Why is there digital on FRS or GMRS?? So there for it belongs in the thread that I put it in to start with.

It's still in the thread that you put it in to start with.

You asked why there's digital on FRS or GMRS which is clearly a question for the FRS/GMRS forum.

KB7MIB

Unfortunately, many people don't care about the rules, and do whatever they want to.
Others are just ignorant of the rules.

(Yes, I understand that just because you stated that you don't care about the rules, that it doesn't mean you yourself ignore them. Your question wasn't about how can you do it, it was about has anyone else ever heard it themselves.)

Either way, although I myself have not heard P25, DMR, NXDN or any other digital mode on FRS or GMRS frequencies in the Phoenix metro area, it does not surprise me that you are. I think it surprises me that more people aren't reporting hearing various digital modes on those frequencies.

John
WPXJ-598
Peoria, AZ

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, many people don't care about the rules, and do whatever they want to.

(Yes, I understand that just because you stated that you don't care about the rules, that it doesn't mean you yourself ignore them. Your question wasn't about how can you do it, it was about has anyone else ever heard it themselves.)

Either way, although I myself have not heard P25, DMR, NXDN or any other digital mode on FRS or GMRS frequencies in the Phoenix metro area, it does not surprise me that you are. I think it surprises me that more people aren't reporting hearing various digital modes on those frequencies.

John
WPXJ-598
Peoria, AZ

Who cares? It's just a radio. Calm down.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I'm sure that these folks though the same thing until their $30,000 bill from the FCC arrived in the mail.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gmrs-frs/268607-30-000-fine-unlicensed-gmrs-operation.html

That is one of those very few and far between cases. I am sure they didn't pay the whole $30,000. That's extremely too much for using a walkie talkie. As much trouble we are in as a nation and we are worried about the frequencies that some business is using. I believe that is way to much. As a nation we have way more important things to worry about, than someones radio. Good lord. LOL

nanZor

What you are hearing is most likely the weak front end of most scanners / cheap radios being hammered by businesses using moto-turbo on nearby business freqs.

Ie, if I take any of my cheap dual-purpose frs/gmrs radios to the top of my building at work, the front end is severely overloaded and desensed by the nearby high power business repeaters.

On the ground, nice and clean for the most part, but there are still occurrences. Same with my scanners.

ecps92

Which Make/Model of Scanner.
Where in FLA

My Scanners, P25 and ole Analog regularly get images from other sources (Not intermod) but actual images. 467 get's 470/482 T-Band, VHF Feds get 151-154 Ambulances

Lock one radio on the Freq and then search and see if it could be elsewhere.

Finding the NAC should be easy, put it in Auto/Search if it is P25

I travel most of the state of Florida many times every month. I have a radio installed in my truck and while I travel I like to listen to FRS / GMRS as well as all the business band frequencies. I recently have discovered what seams to be a digital platform being used on many FRS / GMRS frequencies. I can't tell if it is DMR or P25. However I do know that is it some type of digital format being used on these frequencies. I have both P25 and DMR radios that I would be able to use to monitor and find out. However, trying to find the group numbers or NACs is too time consuming. Does anyone know if this is usual? Thanks.

PS: No radio police or negative comments. Thanks.

ecps92

+1
Looks like someone in Titusville needs to get out of the sun for awhile :roll:

John
WPXJ-598
Peoria, AZ

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Which Make/Model of Scanner.
Where in FLA

My Scanners, P25 and ole Analog regularly get images from other sources (Not intermod) but actual images. 467 get's 470/482 T-Band, VHF Feds get 151-154 Ambulances

Lock one radio on the Freq and then search and see if it could be elsewhere.

Finding the NAC should be easy, put it in Auto/Search if it is P25

I have the Uniden BCD396T and it doesn't support the NAC decode. I want to buy the new Uniden scanner that will decode the NAC's.

jimvm

GMRS P25 on 462.700

Some radio techs use P25 in the clear and encryption here in Yuba City, CA on 462.700 MHz.
I just lock out the channel.

jim vm

Status
Not open for further replies.