• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I found a GREAT antenna for both GMRS & 70cm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxco

Hi,

I waited 4 months to do this post because I wanted to be sure that it was all it was cracked up to be. I am talking about the Browning BR-6157. It is 5/8 over 5/8 for 4.5dBd - not stellar gain but a very solid performer for an antenna with an 80 MHz, YES, an 80 MHz bandwidth with SWR under 2 through the entire operating bandwidth of the antenna which is pre-tuned for 410MHz to 490MHz.

How does it achieve the wide bandwidth? Simple, the thicker the radiating elements, the wider the operational bandwidth of the antenna. The fiberglass antenna is 3.75" thick! This is a robust and inexpensive antenna, I got mine shipped for under $60.

The antenna weighs about a pound and is just under 3 feet long. The solid brass base looks cool too. It has an "N" connector, I have mine fed with genuine LMR-400 and I have a coax switch to toggle between my 70cm and GMRS radios.

My results have been fantastic:

I am hitting more distant repeaters on 70cm after replacing my old half wave over half wave co-linear that I made even though it was supposed to deliver better gain than the new antenna.

SWR's Observed using MFJ269C: (Yes because of the way this Analyzer 'frequency creeps' it takes me awhile to check specific frequencies accurately, but these numbers are accurate.)

440.125MHz - 1.13:1
444.950MHz - 1.06:1 (My favorite repeater receive freq.)
449.950MHz - 1:1 (My favorite repeater input freq.)
462.550MHz - 1.19:1
462.700MHz - 1.21:1

YMMV but not by much, I bet! If you are not an antenna guru, this is a very SAFE, relatively inexpensive bet for both 70cm and GMRS and it even comes with excellent mounting hardware for your mast.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
A DB408 in the 450-470 range works well too. New they are expensive…used you can find them for next to nothing if you look in the right places.

Mobile I like the PCTEL wideband knobs…430-480 MHz on Unity gain.

FKimble

Yes fatter radiating elements generally produce a wider useable SWR bandrange. So just how fat are the radiating elements inside that non-radiating fiberglass shell?

Jaxco

I cant find schematics but inside 3.75", I would imagine the 2 5/8 wave elements could be pretty thick because the antenna isn't really tapered any.

linboogy

Premium Subscriber
A DB408 in the 450-470 range works well too. New they are expensive…used you can find them for next to nothing if you look in the right places.

Mobile I like the PCTEL wideband knobs…430-480 MHz on Unity gain.

Know where I can get one?
I would gladly trade a 1 month old Laird FG4607 9.1 Dbi 7.1 Db Omni and some cash. Nothing wrong with it but need something other than an Omni for our GMRS repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.