• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is it possible to kill your transmitter with high SWR and a lossy RG58 cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zikada

I have a Kenwood TK880H that seems to not want to transmit on high or low power for more than a second before it dropped to 0 watts. I was using a RG58 cable for testing and a copper antenna. Could it be possible that I killed my radio in the process? I didn't test SWR but someone told me that it could have been really high and put RF back into the radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a Kenwood TK880H that seems to not want to transmit on high or low power for more than a second before it dropped to 0 watts. I was using a RG58 cable for testing and a copper antenna. Could it be possible that I killed my radio in the process? I didn't test SWR but someone told me that it could have been really high and put RF back into the radio.

Sure, it's possible.
High SWR can reflect enough power back into the radio to create enough heat to cook the final RF transistor.
It isn't usually an immediate failure, it takes some time for that heat to build up and do damage.

Likely what is happening is that the radio is sensing the high reflected power and throttling back the power to prevent damage. I think you might find that if you hooked up the radio to a known good antenna or a 50 ohm load that the RF output would go back to normal.

zikada

Sure, it's possible.
High SWR can reflect enough power back into the radio to create enough heat to cook the final RF transistor.
It isn't usually an immediate failure, it takes some time for that heat to build up and do damage.

Likely what is happening is that the radio is sensing the high reflected power and throttling back the power to prevent damage. I think you might find that if you hooked up the radio to a known good antenna or a 50 ohm load that the RF output would go back to normal.
Tried it a tram mobile ground plane antenna with rg8x and a diamond huslter with lmr400 same results. I'm going to have my friend bench it and see if he can diagnose the problem.

Its weird because if the radio turned on after not being used for a while, it will output the proper power limit for about 2 or so seconds before dropping. Once the radio warms up after that initial tx, no power output at all.

Posted via mobile.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
One of 2 problems with that radio possible: either high SWR has caused an intermittent fault in the final PA IC or supporting circuitry, or there is an issue with the 8v rail regulator.

zikada

One of 2 problems with that radio possible: either high SWR has caused an intermittent fault in the final PA IC or supporting circuitry, or there is an issue with the 8v rail regulator.
Yea, you did say that to me before. You still want to take a look at the radio? I can give it to you next weekend.

Posted via mobile.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Well I almost guarantee at this point the final PA is the likely culprit. Probably a blown amplification stage, the PA is easy to replace but the part is hard to get. On the other hand I suspect the 8v rail, because VCO uses that voltage during excitation, and if the 8v rail regulator is having issues that might cause the VCO to unlock or otherwise be unable to modulate a carrier.

In either case the part(s) for the specific fault would need to be replaced. Since if I recall based on our previous communication you already replaced the radio, its almost easier to just use it as a receiver.

K7MEM

I have a Kenwood TK880H that seems to not want to transmit on high or low power for more than a second before it dropped to 0 watts. I was using a RG58 cable for testing and a copper antenna. Could it be possible that I killed my radio in the process?

There are several possibilities. "gatekeep" touched on a few. Many new radios have a foldback capability that reduces the output power, if the SWR is above a certain ratio (2:1 or 3:1). But the foldback should be very quick and not allow transmitting at full power for a couple of seconds. It's more likely something other than high SWR is the problem. While the Power Module could certainly be the problem, there are other possibilities.

I looked at the manual for the TK880H and it doesn't mention having foldback capabilities. Reading the circuit description, and looking at the schematic, I see it does sample the output power for stabilization and does have a thermal sensor. Its possible that the thermal sensor has failed and is shutting things down or, the Automatic Power Control (APC) circuit is getting incorrect information from the power sensors, and shutting things down.

IMHO, your best bet is to put it in a box and send it back to Kenwood for repair. If it was me, I would open it up and poke around a bit. But I don't know what kind of abilities you have.

I didn't test SWR but someone told me that it could have been really high and put RF back into the radio.

Who ever told you that needs to educate himself on SWR and what it means. Here is a link to a very good group of articles on SWR and Reflections. http://www.k6mhe.com/files/Reflect_rev1.pdf

A mismatch between the antenna and the feedline can cause some of your power to be reflected back towards the radio. It travels back down the feedline until it reaches the antenna connector on the radio. But it doesn't flow back into the transmitter and cause excess dissipation and other damage. The reflected power is then reflected back up the coax and to the antenna. The antenna will radiate some of that reflected power and the mismatch, at the antenna, will then reflect some of it back down the coax.

In the end all of the power that you send to the antenna will be radiated, except for the power lost in the coax. The reflected power is also subject to coax losses. There are on-line calculators available that can show you how much power is actually reaching the antenna, based on SWR, coax length, coax type, etc.

You originally said that you are using RG-58. That really isn't a good coax to use at the 440 MHz. RG-58 has about 12 db of loss at 400 MHz. A better selection might be some RG-6 (better) or RG-11 (best). Either of them will have less than 6 db of loss. You can often get these coaxes free from the satalite and cable installers. Yes, both are 75 Ohm cables, and may cause a little bit of a mismatch (SWR). But power loss due to mismatch is very small. Much smaller than the 6 db you gain from using a cable with lower loss. Try the on-line power loss calculators with RG-58 and RG-6/RG-11, and see the difference.

Of course, there is better coax, but I am just sugesting a, possibly, cheap upgrade.

Martin - K7MEM

zikada

There are several possibilities. "gatekeep" touched on a few. Many new radios have a foldback capability that reduces the output power, if the SWR is above a certain ratio (2:1 or 3:1). But the foldback should be very quick and not allow transmitting at full power for a couple of seconds. It's more likely something other than high SWR is the problem. While the Power Module could certainly be the problem, there are other possibilities.

I looked at the manual for the TK880H and it doesn't mention having foldback capabilities. Reading the circuit description, and looking at the schematic, I see it does sample the output power for stabilization and does have a thermal sensor. Its possible that the thermal sensor has failed and is shutting things down or, the Automatic Power Control (APC) circuit is getting incorrect information from the power sensors, and shutting things down.

IMHO, your best bet is to put it in a box and send it back to Kenwood for repair. If it was me, I would open it up and poke around a bit. But I don't know what kind of abilities you have.

Who ever told you that needs to educate himself on SWR and what it means. Here is a link to a very good group of articles on SWR and Reflections. http://www.k6mhe.com/files/Reflect_rev1.pdf

A mismatch between the antenna and the feedline can cause some of your power to be reflected back towards the radio. It travels back down the feedline until it reaches the antenna connector on the radio. But it doesn't flow back into the transmitter and cause excess dissipation and other damage. The reflected power is then reflected back up the coax and to the antenna. The antenna will radiate some of that reflected power and the mismatch, at the antenna, will then reflect some of it back down the coax.

In the end all of the power that you send to the antenna will be radiated, except for the power lost in the coax. The reflected power is also subject to coax losses. There are on-line calculators available that can show you how much power is actually reaching the antenna, based on SWR, coax length, coax type, etc.

You originally said that you are using RG-58. That really isn't a good coax to use at the 440 MHz. RG-58 has about 12 db of loss at 400 MHz. A better selection might be some RG-6 (better) or RG-11 (best). Either of them will have less than 6 db of loss. You can often get these coaxes free from the satalite and cable installers. Yes, both are 75 Ohm cables, and may cause a little bit of a mismatch (SWR). But power loss due to mismatch is very small. Much smaller than the 6 db you gain from using a cable with lower loss. Try the on-line power loss calculators with RG-58 and RG-6/RG-11, and see the difference.

Of course, there is better coax, but I am just sugesting a, possibly, cheap upgrade.

Martin - K7MEM
Thanks a lot for the very detailed answer, Martin.

Posted via mobile.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Another article on SWR: The Real SWR Page - Explained by WC7I - Will high SWR burn up my radio?

@K7MEM - Thumbs up. -- having looked at the radio quickly prior, there is definitely a problem with the radio. It was also mentioned, that at some point there was a possibility of the center conductor shorting to the shield on the coax.

Currently, the radio puts out full power for a few seconds, drops to nil and stays that way till power cycle. Interestingly, I didn't think of the thermal protection. IIRC, it was mentioned through a third-party that this particular radio gets rather warm during transmit (when it does transmit), so its possible as you mentioned the thermal sensing is screwed up.

Does Kenwood still depot these radios given the age?

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Before sending it back or tearing it apart, locating and checking it on a known good 50 ohm dummy load might be worth doing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Another article on SWR: The Real SWR Page - Explained by WC7I - Will high SWR burn up my radio?

@K7MEM - Thumbs up. -- having looked at the radio quickly prior, there is definitely a problem with the radio. It was also mentioned, that at some point there was a possibility of the center conductor shorting to the shield on the coax.

Currently, the radio puts out full power for a few seconds, drops to nil and stays that way till power cycle. Interestingly, I didn't think of the thermal protection. IIRC, it was mentioned through a third-party that this particular radio gets rather warm during transmit (when it does transmit), so its possible as you mentioned the thermal sensing is screwed up.

Does Kenwood still depot these radios given the age?

Thanks for posting that. I read through it and it reminded me of when my grandfather explained it to me pretty much the same way. Over the years I've simplified it and tend to keep using the incorrect explanation/terms/etc. Good to have a reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.