RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 12:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoballa View Post
I agree with you and I totally would buy a vanity.
The FCC eliminated the vanity fee for amateur radio licenses in 2015. Again, that was for "amateur radio licenses". The point here is that it cost the FCC more to refund fees to people going for the same callsign. I am doubtful that the FCC would enter into that kind of mess again, but you never know.

I would like a vanity GMRS call too, but I do not have any hope of that.

As to the turnaround on GMRS licensing, I received mine last week and it took about 16 hours from submission time to it showing up in the database and getting the email confirming.
Old 10-13-2017, 2:02 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
The FCC eliminated the vanity fee for amateur radio licenses in 2015. Again, that was for "amateur radio licenses". The point here is that it cost the FCC more to refund fees to people going for the same callsign. I am doubtful that the FCC would enter into that kind of mess again, but you never know.

I would like a vanity GMRS call too, but I do not have any hope of that.

As to the turnaround on GMRS licensing, I received mine last week and it took about 16 hours from submission time to it showing up in the database and getting the email confirming.
What would be available for GMRS vanities? You know like how there are limits on the prefixes for amateur vanity calls, what would be available on the GMRS side? Any W***123 types? Would the old school CB radio license style callsigns like some old GMRSers still have be open to vanity?
Old 10-13-2017, 2:17 AM

Default GMRS / FRS

What would be available for GMRS vanities? You know like how there are limits on the prefixes for amateur vanity calls, what would be available on the GMRS side? Any W***123 types? Would the old school CB radio license style callsigns like some old GMRSers still have be open to vanity?

I have my GMRS License as well. The Call Sign is 4 letters and 3 numbers and the FCC as far as I know, selects the Call Sign for you for what ever is available.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No vanity callsigns in GMRS that I'm aware of. You simply get issued whatever the next callsign is that comes up in the ULS when the license is issued. That's part of why I make d@mn sure that I don't let my current GMRS license expire so I can keep my callsign forever. My GMRS callsign (KAE9013) resembles an old CB callsign because it predates licensing through the ULS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)