RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 5:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default frequency on scan changes channel number

Hi
This is hard to explain but here we go I have a couple m1225 radios and my buddy has a btech 50x2 radio now when i do scan on radio and his as well we pick each other up on different channel now it don't do it if you don't scan i understand this happening under simplex but not hitting a repeater with pl tone could it be step setting or he says he on 2.5khz im on 25khz just because im still set wide-band

thanks
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealer45 View Post
Hi
This is hard to explain but here we go I have a couple m1225 radios and my buddy has a btech 50x2 radio
OK, got it. Let me see if I got this broken up right:

Quote:
now when i do scan on radio and his as well we pick each other up on different channel
Could be a number of reasons for this. Proximity is one thing. A strong signal nearby, even on a different frequency can overload a receiver and cause it to think something is there, even on a different frequency. Putting more separation between you and your buddy's radio might resolve this.

Quote:
now it don't do it if you don't scan
OK pretty much makes sense. If the radio is stable on one frequency, it may not hear a nearby signal

Quote:
i understand this happening under simplex but not hitting a repeater with pl tone
Again, proximity, or as you say below:

Quote:
could it be step setting or he says he on 2.5khz im on 25khz just because im still set wide-band
Yes, this can happen. Some of the interstitial frequencies are in between the primary GMRS channels. A radio running 5KHz deviation/25KHz channel width/Wide, etc. can trigger a narrow band (2.5KHz deviation/12.5KHz channel/narrow) radio on an adjacent channel. Especially if one of the radios is slightly out of alignment, like you might get from an aging M1225 or a low end Chinese radio.
This has been an issue with some GMRS repeater inputs running wide (like they are allowed to) and getting interference from FRS radios running on the 467MHz FRS channels in close proximity to a repeater.

Not sure how close you guys are together when this is happening, but try moving apart if you are within a few feet of each other. Receiver overload is a "thing"...
Old 12-04-2017, 5:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

How close are the frequencies involved? I'm not sure about the M1225, but most Baofeng radios do not have very selective receivers and could easily be receiving a frequency that is adjacent to the memory channel frequency... especially if the radios are physically close to one another.

John AC4JK