RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 8:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKink View Post
Ok thanks. (See how dumb a noobs questions can be )
Nope, those aren't dumb questions. Sorry for the confusion about the trunking issue. I was just pointing out that you use "more radio" than you actually need. If you go the commercial/professional radio route over the cheaper consumer route you'll soon appreciate the benefits of a higher quality radio. - More rugged build, better sound quality, etc.

Though this would necessarily apply to you, here is an example of what some of the higher quality radios can do: In my area, there is a GMRS repeater that I monitor. Several of the users on it have radios that employ an audible tone system that is automatically transmitted at the end of each transmission. (It's called MDC1200 and has a distinct sound) Each radio has a specific tone and that tone serves to identify the user radio. So, each time a person transmits, other users with properly equipped radios can have the user's ID or name show up on their radio display. It certainly isn't needed for GMRS but it offers a cool feature that you wouldn't otherwise have on a consumer radio.
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2018, 9:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
Nope, those aren't dumb questions. Sorry for the confusion about the trunking issue. I was just pointing out that you use "more radio" than you actually need. If you go the commercial/professional radio route over the cheaper consumer route you'll soon appreciate the benefits of a higher quality radio. - More rugged build, better sound quality, etc.

Though this would necessarily apply to you, here is an example of what some of the higher quality radios can do: In my area, there is a GMRS repeater that I monitor. Several of the users on it have radios that employ an audible tone system that is automatically transmitted at the end of each transmission. (It's called MDC1200 and has a distinct sound) Each radio has a specific tone and that tone serves to identify the user radio. So, each time a person transmits, other users with properly equipped radios can have the user's ID or name show up on their radio display. It certainly isn't needed for GMRS but it offers a cool feature that you wouldn't otherwise have on a consumer radio.
Wouldn’t that be cool to have that ability on simplex?
Old 05-16-2018, 9:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
It doesn't require a repeater. The radios I use at work are only used in simplex mode. All of the radios generate an MDC1200 tone. The managers have radios with a display that shows the ID of the transmitting radio user. The downside is that a "cookie cutter" approach can't be used to program the radios. Each radio requires a unique codeplug (the program file uploaded to the radio) because each user has a unique MDC1200 ID number that must be transmitted.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
It doesn't require a repeater. The radios I use at work are only used in simplex mode. All of the radios generate an MDC1200 tone. The managers have radios with a display that shows the ID of the transmitting radio user. The downside is that a "cookie cutter" approach can't be used to program the radios. Each radio requires a unique codeplug (the program file uploaded to the radio) because each user has a unique MDC1200 ID number that must be transmitted.
Oh sure how else could it work?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
So which radio would you recommend?
You already have some good recommendations, but I will add the Tera-505. I have had very good luck with it over the past two years. They are easy to program and the software is free. The cable is relatively cheap as well. The radio will do MURS as well, though I usually just have it programed for GMRS. It handles repeaters well.
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
MDC-1200 and most of the analog caller ID protocols get -really- annoying after a while. There are ways to set up the radios to mute them, but for those that don't, it's a short lived experiment.