RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 11:59 AM

Default Midland GXT1000 question

I purchased 3 of these radios for a fishing trip in Canada. They are mainly going to be used if one of us has boat problems or something.
I don't know anything about GMRS except what I've read recently. From what I read I don't need a license to use these in Canada.
My question is, Which channels are the GMRS channels?
The instructions say channels 8-14 are low power FRS channels. I assume all the others are GMRS?
The frequency chart list frequencies up to channel 22, but the radio goes up to 50, are the channels above 22 all usable channels?
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2018, 2:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Channels 8-14 are the 467 MHz channels that are restricted to 1/2 watt by FCC rules.
Channels 1-7 and 15-22 are 2 watts.
Channels 22-50 are probably the same as the what is listed here. That link also has a link to the Canadian FRS/GMRS rules.
Look up the manual for that radio model on Midland's web site to be sure. It should have a list of channels and frequencies.
Old 09-09-2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
Look up the manual for that radio model on Midland's web site to be sure. It should have a list of channels and frequencies.
Thanks, I have the manual and it lists the frequencies up to 22, but channels 23-50 are blank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 9:10 PM

Also keep in mind that the distance these radios can be used at is mostly limited by line of sight and obstructions. From a boat to shore with no obstacles, you may be able to go up to around 5-6 miles.
Line Of Sight Calculator
Old 09-09-2018, 9:58 PM

I would bet being Midland radios the ones that don't list the frequencies are just frs and gmrs channels with different tones. The "extra" channels.... with big finger quotes around extra.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2018, 7:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Most of these questions can be answered right on their website:

https://midlandusa.com/product/gxt1000vp4/

They explain what the extra channels are.
Old 09-10-2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuete View Post
Most of these questions can be answered right on their website:

https://midlandusa.com/product/gxt1000vp4/

They explain what the extra channels are.
I can't find the frequencies and codes for the 28 extra channels (23-50) on Midland's website. It is not in the product manual, product specifications or FAQ sections on this website. Three people asked about the extra channels but they only received the following partial answers:
"These extra channels are simply existing FRS/GMRS frequencies with hard coded tones."
"The channels are already pre-programmed. If you would like more information please call our customer service department at (816) 241-8500 (M-F, 8am-4:30pm CT)."
"The extra channels give you more options in case of overcrowdedness of other channels."

I believe the 28 extra channel frequencies and codes are shown in the "Midland Extra Channels" section on this site:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._channel_chart
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSimpkin View Post
I can't find the frequencies and codes for the 28 extra channels (23-50) on Midland's website. It is not in the product manual, product specifications or FAQ sections on this website. Three people asked about the extra channels but they only received the following partial answers:
"These extra channels are simply existing FRS/GMRS frequencies with hard coded tones."
"The channels are already pre-programmed. If you would like more information please call our customer service department at (816) 241-8500 (M-F, 8am-4:30pm CT)."
"The extra channels give you more options in case of overcrowdedness of other channels."

I believe the 28 extra channel frequencies and codes are shown in the "Midland Extra Channels" section on this site:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._channel_chart
Yep that's them for sure.
Old 09-10-2018, 8:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The information in the wiki article originally came from owners manuals on Midland's web site. They must have removed the "extra channels" from the manuals for some reason.
Old 09-12-2018, 2:07 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I tested them out by driving down the road from my house out the country, got 5 1/2 miles away stood in the bed of my truck and was still able to talk. They should work for what we need on the water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk