RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2018, 7:43 PM

Default GMRS Morse code callsign

Hi,
I am looking into setting up a GMRS system in my neighborhood in Pennsylvania. I have not bought any equipment or my license yet. I read that I must state my callsign after each transmission. Is there a way to use a computer that will automatically broadcast a Morse code callsign after each transmission? If there is, how can i route it into a mobile or portable radio?
Thanks, Max
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2018, 8:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You only need to ID every 15 minutes, and at the end of a contact.
Old 10-28-2018, 1:20 AM

The repeater can ID, but ideally you want to send your own call sign with your own use, especially if you are not on the repeater (simplex use).

Some radios will do CW ID. Several of the Kenwood models I run at work will do that.

Honestly, though, it's good form and a good habit to learn to say your callsign every 15 minutes and at the end of the contact, as harbor-tech said.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On all of the GMRS repeaters here in NW Indiana and Chicago, where many licensed operators congregate, we ID at the beginning of our transmissions, just like hams do when making a call for a specific individual.

"WQVJ601 this is WQWU626, are you around Fred?" Then ID every 15 min and at end of contact per regs.

The only exception occurs on the NSEA repeaters where use is normally reserved to members. In that case "Unit #" are used to initiate contact.

"532 this is 560" Then ID every 15 min and at end of contact per regs.
Old 10-28-2018, 1:14 PM

You can install a CW ID board in your radios that will sense when you transmit and ID at whatever interval you choose. Here is one of many to choose from: https://www.com-spec.com/id8.htm
Sponsored links