GRE PSR-500 or Uniden BCD396T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2QI

Hello everyone. I'm a complete noob so please bear with me. I'm trying to decide between these two scanners. I need to be able to monitor P25 transmissions, both trunked and conventional. Does anyone here have experience with both scanners? I'm interested in sensitivity, performance, expandibility, and longevity (future-proof). I plan on programming via software/PC. Thank you.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
For P-25 audio, the GRE PSR 500 is still, IMHO, much better than the Uniden models. I own a PSR 500, have owned a BCD996T, and have heard the 396T audio, and the GRE's are so much better decoding the audio, it's crisp, clear, I think it's the better scanner in that regard.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Another vote for the GRE's. The best "right out of the box" digital audio you can get. No need to mess with any settings. Also has much better sensitivity in my opinion than any of the
Unidens. Search the forums here, there are many, many topics on this.

pappy1

Another vote for GRE is that firmware updates is simple, just download the upgrade to your computer and open the file and run per instructions and boom your scanner is updated, none of the register radio, download key that may or not work without doing it a second time, then download update and then going into menu resetting things. Too much hassel. Besides GRE listens to you when you use their customer support, no BS. That is why I gave away my 996. I have not missed it at all.

scannersnstuff

just have to hear it <sensitivity>,audio,digital = psr-500.
features,size,construction,fire tone out,ease of prog.especially trunking = bcd396t or bcd396xt.

love em' both for the different thing's they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I owned a 396, but now have the GRE 500, and, as the other posters have said, it is better on digital than the Uniden 396. However, I like the display on the 396 better, and, without a computer, I think the 396 is easier to program manually than the 500. I also think that the 396 does better on conventional systems that the 500, which is sometimes "too sensitive" on conventional frequencies. Something else to keep in mind is that Uniden is upgrading the 396--see the posts in the Uniden forum and the Wiki. The answer to your question really depends on what you want to monitor. And that's my 2 cents worth.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Another vote for the PSR500 here, but you're in the GRE forum so what do you expect?:lol: I don't have any experience with the 396T (I wish I did), so I can't compare the two.

Just search the forums. This question has been asked plenty of times already and you'll find lots of opinions while searching.

One reason I like GRE that hasn't been mentioned is their excellent customer service, including their firmware updates.

gregmoss

The Gre and Radio shack scanners sound great right out the box with P-25 mode. Really no need too adjust, only if you want too, according too your preference etc. Uniden has always had problems, trying too figure this p-25 conventional or trunking thing out from day one. It's always been too loud or unbalanced, uneven, etc. Even with their so called upgrades, tweaks, or what ever. Believe me I've own just about every uniden p-25 capable scanner they've made thus far. Its the same ole thing. Now trying too help out with their support, and it's all good. But time after time i fine myself being excited only for disappointment, do too faults or glitches, delayed firmware upgrades on their behalf. I understand NO SCANNERS perfect. If i pay $500 plus for their stuff i expect them too get it right, the customers always right. But they just still can't get it right. Now Radio shack and now Gre gets thumbs up in regards with getting the p-25 com right, or some what right.. As well as current and frequent and less trouble some upgrades. Lets see if uniden get it right with their next generation of scanner?

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion
sensitivity - GRE (can get overloaded though)
performance - audio GRE, scan speed Uniden (according to stats),
expandibility - GRE has 21 V-folders each with 1800 objects, but Uniden has 6000 channels all the time
longevity (future-proof) - both get 700mhz, rebanding etc - tie
I plan on programming via software/PC - Uniden offers FREE programming software, as well there are 2 other FREE software packages out there

Hello everyone. I'm a complete noob so please bear with me. I'm trying to decide between these two scanners. I need to be able to monitor P25 transmissions, both trunked and conventional. Does anyone here have experience with both scanners? I'm interested in sensitivity, performance, expandibility, and longevity (future-proof). I plan on programming via software/PC. Thank you.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I agree with those point

Note to the original psot the BCD396T is about to be discontinued replace with the BCD396XT
(rumoured to be around the same price as the 396T)

So I wouldnt go out and buy a 396T right now unless its on a huge discount.

Then we can make a GRE 500 vs 396XT

just have to hear it <sensitivity>,audio,digital = psr-500.
features,size,construction,fire tone out,ease of prog.especially trunking = bcd396t or bcd396xt.

love em' both for the different thing's they do.

K2QI

Thank you so much for the responses. I'm not really sure if it's helped me in making my purchase decision though! LOL.. paralysis by analysis I suppose.

K2QI

By the way, does the GRE 500 have a function similar to Uniden's "Close-Call" feature, where it can scan all frequencies and pick up close transmissions?

Oscillator

I'm in the exact same boat trying to decide between the GRE PSR-500 or Uniden BCD396T. I am leaning towards the PSR-500 mostly because the consensus seems to be it handles digital transmissions better.

I'm not in a big hurry to buy one, but I would like to fairly soon. Do you guys think it is worth waiting for the BCD396XT to see how it compares to the PSR-500? I looked at the wiki page for it, and it seems to have a few interesting new features. I doubt, however, I would really miss any of the new features. Does anyone know when the BCD396XT will be available?

Thanks!

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Correct as Mikey said

note some people like the Spectrum sweeper better then the Unidens, as the Unidens have to be a VERY powerful signal in order to set it off.. (far above all other frequencies in that range)

By the way, does the GRE 500 have a function similar to Uniden's "Close-Call" feature, where it can scan all frequencies and pick up close transmissions?

K2QI

Well, I took the plunge. Bought a PSR-500 today from Radio Co. Hopefully it will be here soon. I'm trying to figure out which software to use now. I've been playing with the demo versions of WIN500 and ARC500. So far, the WIN500 software seems to be a little more intuitive than ARC. Anyone have any suggestions on software?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
You cant beat the WIN500's DonS knowledge of GRE scanners though, his support, price.
It probably is more intuitive as Don basically is an expert on getting the most out of the scanner (remember WIn 96)

I like ARC but thats just my bias (as I had ARC for many other Uniden models). I
ts pricier then WIN500 though.

So its up to you. If you like the WIN500 go with it after the trial is done.

Well, I took the plunge. Bought a PSR-500 today from Radio Co. Hopefully it will be here soon. I'm trying to figure out which software to use now. I've been playing with the demo versions of WIN500 and ARC500. So far, the WIN500 software seems to be a little more intuitive than ARC. Anyone have any suggestions on software?

Status
Not open for further replies.