GRE 500 Battery Questions a) What voltage causes the low battery alert to sound, b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
i dont remember off hand, do a forum search there has been a couple threads on this

i even believe that the LOW battery indicator can be changed in the menu to different settings

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Some values are settable, at least through software. I don't have the 500, so can't say if this is what they default to in the radio. Win500 (which I use to program my 600) has the following default settings:

For NiMH:
Icon Off: 4.55
Icon On: 4.47
Blink Off: 4.44
Blink On: 4.31

For Alkaline:
Icon Off: 4.20
Icon On: 4.12
Blink Off: 3.96
Blink On: 3.83

For NiCd:
Icon Off: 4.47
Icon On: 4.39
Blink Off: 4.28
Blink On: 4.15

DonS

In the above settings:
Icon On: if the voltage falls below this level, the low battery icon is turned on
Icon Off: once the low battery icon has been turned on, the voltage must rise above this level to turn it back off (hysteresis)
Blink On: same as Icon On, but for the icon blink / audible alert
Blink Off: same as Icon Off, but for the icon blink / audible alert

Example, using the default NiMH settings above:
1. If battery level falls below 4.47V, the icon will be turned on "solid". It must rise above 4.55V before it will be turned off.
2. If the battery level falls below 4.31V, the icon will blink and the audible alert will sound. It must rise above 4.44V to stop blinking / silence alert. If it rises above 4.44V but is still below 4.47V, the icon will be on "solid" (see #1)

DonS

Thanks Don and at what level will the scanner shut off?

Whenever it can no longer operate (can't produce internal voltages for CPU and/or DSP).

There's no programmed/fixed voltage level that causes it to shut off. It might be scanning happily at a relatively low battery voltage (e.g. icon blinking), but when a transmission is received (audio, LCD backlight) it could "reset" because voltage dips below a required minimum level.

Status
Not open for further replies.