PSR500-Expert setting making a huge difference in reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

Hello all. Just wanted to report that this setting "SQ Wait 1 ('In-band SQ Timeout/Squelch Time Same Band in the software)" makes, (on my radio at least) a big difference on reception. Bringing the value down to 5 has changed my opinion of this radio. I knew it had great potential from what all of you reported but I was not getting the best reception, especially on 800 MHz. Much better now, just wanted to pass this along.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hello all. Just wanted to report that this setting "SQ Wait 1 ('In-band SQ Timeout/Squelch Time Same Band in the software)" makes, (on my radio at least) a big difference on reception. Bringing the value down to 5 has changed my opinion of this radio. I knew it had great potential from what all of you reported but I was not getting the best reception, especially on 800 MHz. Much better now, just wanted to pass this along.

Yeah,I noticed this too. This setting can also be accessed directly from the glob menu. I think I set mine at 3.
n9zas

jimg

Premium Subscriber

Can this setting be done manually?

bkantor

I do see such a setting in Win500 on the Extended Settings Tab - is it just that first field under "General Tuning" - "In Band SQ Timeout??

Steveofcleve

Premium Subscriber
Expert Setting

I did the same thing this morning on my PSR500 and have also noticed a similar result in reception. Used ARC500 software which made changing the setting easy.

Last edited:

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up. I have had my 500 for a year and am still learning it's features. All help is welcome by me.

tampatracker

The ability to capture weaker and/or "fringe" 8oo MHz Motorola type II systems is the first thing that caught my attention, since most of the Public safety uses these or EDACKs here in Florida. There also seems to be a benefit to conventional channels as well. I am using PSREdit.

Last edited:

bchappuie

Looks like these are scan speed settings.

SQ Wait 1 Squelch wait time, same band 10 1-200, x1 ms In-band SQ Timeout
Squelch Time Same Band
Length of time to wait for a signal on a frequency while scanning (scan speed).
Lower value = faster scan speed. Higher value = slower scan speed.

SQ Wait 2 Squelch wait time, new band 15 1-200, x1 ms Out-of-band SQ Timeout Squelch Time Different Band
Length of time to wait for a signal on a frequency while scanning (scan speed)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/2/22/PSR-500_info.pdf

Swipesy

The ability to capture weaker and/or "fringe" 8oo MHz Motorola type II systems is the first thing that caught my attention, since most of the Public safety uses these or EDACKs here in Florida. There also seems to be a benefit to conventional channels as well. I am using PSREdit.

It seems to me after reading what this setting does is it that you would want to raise the setting not lower it to get better reception of fringe signals. When you lower the value the scanner moves faster and would be more than likely to miss fringe signals. If you slow the scan down it has a better chance of picking up a weak signal. No?

John

tampatracker

Theoretically that would seem to make sense if that is indeed the mechanics of whats going on. All I'm saying is that I've happily noticed a rather noticeable improvement on my reception. I've had a day now to observe this effect and can state with some degree of certainty that it's not an atmospheric type thing (unless that effect lasts longer than I've been observing), or an interference issue. So you're guess is as good as mine. TT. PS-This tip came from Mark's Easier to read manual for the PSR500 under the optimizing scanner performance section, where he states to Lower this setting from the default level of 10 to a 7 or a 5. Happy Scanning!

Last edited:

DonS

Decreasing those two values (SQ Wait 1 and SQ Wait 2) shouldn't "improve" reception. Here's what they do:
1.Tune to a target frequency and wait for PLL lock
2. Wait for time <x> looking for open squelch
3. If time <x> expires with no open squelch, move on to next frequency/channel

"Time <x>" is controlled by the two "SQ Wait n" settings. Decreasing them gives the scanner less time to acquire an active transmission.

In general:
* Increasing the values slows down scanning and searching, but makes it more likely that the scanner will stop on active transmissions
* Decreasing the values speeds up scanning and searching, but makes it more likely that the scanner will miss active transmissions

Swipesy

Thanks for clarifying that Don. That is the way I read the settings also. I find that the default settings works best for me.

John

SQUAD109

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

can this be done on the 197?

tampatracker

Well, all I'm stating is that for me after reading this - " Optimizing Scanning Parameters Contents
Conventional Scanning
Setting the squelch properly is the easiest and quickest way to receive channels better.
Set the SQ Wait 1 ('In-band SQ Timeout'/'Squelch Time Same Band' in the software) down to 7 or 5."
From "Marks easier to read scanner manual" for the PSR 500 I noticed a improvement in reception. I'm just happy for the improvement. TT Afterthought : Now I'm going to try raising the settings to see how it goes.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

can this be done on the 197?

Yes. I experiment with these settings quite often on my 197. Some are useful and others are best left untouched.
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.