Has your opinion of the PSR-800 changed?

As I've learned more about the PSR-800, I am now

• more likely to buy one.

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • unchanged in my desire to buy or not buy one.

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • less likely to buy one.

Votes: 10 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDaze

After reading (and continuing to read) the http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/200314-gre-psr-800-pre-release-thread.html, I've become more interested in owning it than I did when I first was aware of the radio. I wasn't all that interested in the Pro-107 when it came out, especially since it wasn't digital but also since I don't travel much.

After seeing how flexible it is with scan lists, etc., I'm actually GASsing for it now (as in Gear Acquisition Syndrome.) I owe that to all the great questions and answers that I've been reading by the posters.

So, based on what you've learned since its introduction, are you more likely to buy it, less likely, or unchanged in your opinion? I know that the street price will be a factor for many folks, so let's just assume that it will cost "exactly what you're willing to pay." That way, the evaluation is based just on features, perceived quality and usefulness to you.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
With exception to a full keypad, it has most of the features I'm looking for in a P25 capable handheld.

rwier

GRE PSR-800 Scanner Radio Receiver, PSR800

From the above site:

This device has not been approved by the F.C.C. This device may not be offered for sale or lease or be sold or leased until approval of the F.C.C. has been obtained. The information shown is very preliminary and may be subject to change without notice or obligation.

Other than the above, I'm ready to give it a whirl, lol.

Rob

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I think I'll pass on this one. I'm used to the way the 500 & 106 operate and they both do more than what I need, Plus I'm very happy with both of them.

73s

Chad

Jake68111

After reading (and continuing to read) the http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/200314-gre-psr-800-pre-release-thread.html, I've become more interested in owning it than I did when I first was aware of the radio. I wasn't all that interested in the Pro-107 when it came out, especially since it wasn't digital but also since I don't travel much.

After seeing how flexible it is with scan lists, etc., I'm actually GASsing for it now (as in Gear Acquisition Syndrome.) I owe that to all the great questions and answers that I've been reading by the posters.

So, based on what you've learned since its introduction, are you more likely to buy it, less likely, or unchanged in your opinion? I know that the street price will be a factor for many folks, so let's just assume that it will cost "exactly what you're willing to pay." That way, the evaluation is based just on features, perceived quality and usefulness to you.

This is quite an interesting question. I raised the same type of question about the Home Patrol. Scannerfreak urged me to take a look at this radio and the more I read, the more apt I am to go this route then the Home Patrol route (suits my preferences more so then the Home Patrol). I just wish there was more info out there concerning the release date, should it obtain the FCC Approval.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The release date and the price were already announced a few weeks ago... I'm not sure I heard that anything has changed? March, $499.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
GRE PSR-800 Scanner Radio Receiver, PSR800

From the above site:

This device has not been approved by the F.C.C. This device may not be offered for sale or lease or be sold or leased until approval of the F.C.C. has been obtained. The information shown is very preliminary and may be subject to change without notice or obligation.

Rob
:lol: Scratchin my head on above. :confused:
Would an astute enterprise spend the trouble developing and promoting a scanner that couldn't pass FCC scrutiny?

Unless my 73 year old body has a brain fart trying to understand Garmin's direction to Richmond Frostfest on Feb 5, this user may spend 9 bucks having a look and likely buy scanner a month + later.

Suspect I'll buy it anyway. :wink:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
:lol: Scratchin my head on above. :confused:

They are not allowed to take money for it yet, since the FCC hasn't approved it yet.

Would an astute enterprise spend the trouble developing and promoting a scanner that couldn't pass FCC scrutiny?

It will pass FCC scrutiny, they just haven't submitted all the paperwork to complete that process yet since it's still in development.

safetyobc

I think that the 800 will be a great radio.

Having the complete database on a flash card is awesome! Recording! The multi-color LED on the 500 is awesome so the 800 continues with that!

I love the look of the radio! GRE PSR-800 Scanner Radio Receiver, PSR800

In this video, the belt clip looks to be bigger and better than previous GRE models! Which is a huge plus for me!

I think it will be awesome!

K

KS1USA

Right now I have two scanners; a Realistic Pro-2026, and a Uniden BC700A, which are still going strong. I also have a 2-meter Yaesu FT-60, which does a decent job of scanning. But seeing the handwriting on the wall I decided to catch-up with the rest of the world and get a new scanner.

After a lot of research, reading forums and etc, I happened upon information for the PSR-800. Given the track record of GRE, the ease of programming and updating the PSR-800 and watching a video of it in operation, I was tempted to get on a waiting list and purchase it as soon as it became available.

But, experience has shown me that even though a new product is tested a lot prior to its release to the public, that once the public gets their hands on it there are usually some problems that have a way of showing up that have to be corrected. Whether it's a new version of firmware, a new design in a knob or a different connector, something usually pops up.

Therefore, I have just purchased the PSR-500, which has a good track record and I think will serve my purposes well. Plus it will allow me to experience the trials, errors and satisfaction of entering the various frequencies, talk groups, trunks, settings, etc. myself. Although this will be more complicated than setting up the PSR-800, it will give me a better understanding of how all of this comes together.

73's,
KS1USA

rwier

The release date and the price were already announced a few weeks ago... I'm not sure I heard that anything has changed? March, $499.

Hope that $499 is GRE list, 3rd party sellers might knock off $100, easy choice if so!

safetyobc

Hope that $499 is GRE list, 3rd party sellers might knock off $100, easy choice if so!

Just looking at what has happened in the past..... When it debut's it will probably stay at the $499 for quite a while. Maybe by Christmas or black Friday, you might find deals on it.. But you never know?

RadioDaze

...Therefore, I have just purchased the PSR-500, which has a good track record and I think will serve my purposes well. Plus it will allow me to experience the trials, errors and satisfaction of entering the various frequencies, talk groups, trunks, settings, etc. myself. Although this will be more complicated than setting up the PSR-800, it will give me a better understanding of how all of this comes together.

You made a wise choice. I don't think the 800 is even intended to compete with the 500. If you are willing to take on the task of a more complex radio, you will be rewarded with more flexibility. Myself, I'm just looking for something smaller than my 500, but I will certainly keep my 500 as well.

N8IAA

I won't be getting one. Until GRE makes a radio that does WFM and and has better frequency coverage than the current models........It ain't gonna happen:( That is why I bought a 396XT. I have a variety of comms that I monitor and need a handheld that has lots of memory, and frequencies I use. Not saying the GRE/RS radios I have aren't good, just lacking in features.
Larry

N8IAA

Oh, yes, I do know this radio has tons of memory. Just not the features I need. Thought I'd clarify before everyone jumps on me about the memory:)
Larry

perry211

Premium Subscriber
If you don't have a digital yet.

The way it looks you can not use it and charge the battries at the same time. So if you want to charge it you have to cut it off. I have also learned it does not receive p-25 9600 baud multi-sites any better than the psr-500. The software is great. You can put every state talkgroup in va in one bank. Some thing I can not do with the 500. And all kind of recording options. If you don't have a digital scanner it would be worth a hard look. You could always have some battries in a charge for take and run.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The way it looks you can not use it and charge the battries at the same time. So if you want to charge it you have to cut it off.

I would not recommend charging your batteries in a scanner anyway. One report today of a melted case on the PSR-800 Yahoo Group. YMMV, but it's cheaper to just get an external charger and a second set of rechargeable batteries.

The charging circuit feature could be left out for something more useful, IMHO.

For those who say they have never had an issue charging batteries in their ~$450 - $500 radio, I say let's hope you never learn the hard way. :evil:

mancow

Database Admin
It has been my experience that it handles P25 simulcast better than the others if that is what you are referring to by multi-sites. If you are talking about roaming or stationary options then yes, the 500 has more options.

The way it looks you can not use it and charge the battries at the same time. So if you want to charge it you have to cut it off. I have also learned it does not receive p-25 9600 baud multi-sites any better than the psr-500. The software is great. You can put every state talkgroup in va in one bank. Some thing I can not do with the 500. And all kind of recording options. If you don't have a digital scanner it would be worth a hard look. You could always have some battries in a charge for take and run.

DonS

The way it looks you can not use it and charge the battries at the same time.

Correct. There's exactly one reason for that: it's designed to be powered from a USB port, and the 500mA limit of USB won't power the scanner and charge the batteries at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.