Removing dust from behind PSR800 screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

Just was wondering if anyone has successfully gotten dust accumulations out from behind their display screen, and if so how did you do it without jeopardizing the innards of the scanner?

darrylcn

My PSR-500 has a lot of it too, it's unfortunate because in spite of being almost a year old it still looks mint otherwise.

tampatracker

I'm just wondering if an airbrush would work, but it could be hazardous to get to the screen. That's interesting you've got dust in your 500, no problem with that on my end.

darrylcn

Really? Wow it's bad enough on mine that I assumed it was common. You can see it even in non direct light. Looks great at night, you can't see it then but it's pretty noticeable in regular lighting.

tampatracker

Mines got none that I can see, but the 800 on the other hand is just collecting the stuff like nobody's business. I just got back from a working trip to Manhattan, and it only took a few days to really get caked.

home121

The only thing i've done in the past, to my other radios is take it apart, sri could'nt be of more help.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's simple! You guys have got to STOP letting dustbunnies play with your equipment.:lol:
No,seriously maybe GRE neglected to put a gasket or o-ring in there? My pro-106 and 197 doesn't have this problem.

n9zas

NYRHKY94

Good thread. This issue appears to be a common problem. I have an early run Pro-106 that I purchased when they first came out. It is loaded with dust on the inside of the LCD. Very annoying in non-direct light. My newer Pro-106 purchased on Black Friday last year has no dust at all.

IowaGuy1603

I put a digital camera screen protector over the entire upper part of the face of the radio.......from the on/off button to just below the LED lite........

tampatracker

Yes, I put on a cell phone screen protector on as soon as I unrapped the unit right out of the box, which would point to the keypad as being the culprit. It would be nice if GRE would provide a step by step to get to the inside of the screen safely without voiding the warranty.

RadioDaze

I wonder if static electricity is attracting the dust to that part. Otherwise one might assume there's even more dust in the rest of the radio.

P.S. A nice feature for the next version would be a tiny windshield wiper in there to remove the dust - although you'd still have to get in to replace the wiper blade.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Consider where the radio is made, and the quality of QC in that country. Could be why I haven't bought one of the newer dualband ht's made in that very same country. I've seen the insides of one:(
Larry

kb8rvp

I too am wondering if the radio has dust inside from the factory or if it is getting inside the radio from a leak in the case. I just picked up a PSR-800 yesterday and the screen is clean. I applied a protective film to protect from scratches. I pulled off the squelch knob because I could see a very small hole under the squelce knob that looked like it went right inside the radio. If you are looking down on the squelch knob you will see the small hole like a vent hole or something. I cut and placed a very very small piece of black electrical tape over that hole to see if it helps and then replaced the squelch knob. If that's not it must be coming in around the buttons on the front.

Mike

Last edited:

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
wow, i'm very interested in an psr800 but not if it still has the dust issue. I have the pro-107iScan and it has the same issue but my pro197/106/bct-15/bcd396t plus many of the radios i have already sold/traded have never had this issue. must be something with that design...

IowaGuy1603

Yes, I put on a cell phone screen protector on as soon as I unrapped the unit right out of the box, which would point to the keypad as being the culprit. It would be nice if GRE would provide a step by step to get to the inside of the screen safely without voiding the warranty.

I would say the battery box.............it sure isn't air tight

tampatracker

It seems to me that when the issue with the loose screw inside the 500 came up and there were posts all over this forum about it that someone mentioned that GRE wasn't considering opening up the unit and tightening the screw as voiding the warranty, that they had talked to Raj and he told them himself. But tightening a screw and doing surgery on a $450.00 scanner are two entirely different animals. All in all the stuff on the inside of the screen isn't a terribly huge deal for me as if, say, it were affecting the performance of the radio, although I would like to know where it comes from so I can plug it up to prevent anymore accumulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.