Cannot upgrade CPU on PSR 600

Status
Not open for further replies.

skondolf

I have a PSR 600 radio that has been working fine since I first purchased it about 6-8 months ago. I needed to make some changes to the configuration so I opened up my registered copy of PSRedit made the changes to my saved configuration and attempted to upload the file to the radio. Well when I did this I mistakenly put the radio in SW upgrade mode so when I sent the file to the radio I got a message saying 'error - turn off.' So I did but when I turn the radio back on I get no welcome screen and it now reads:

uP Boot Ver:F1.4
uP App Ver: None
CPU SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF

So I d/l'ed the latest CPU upgrade 2.0 to my pc, unzipped the file and attempted to upload the upgrade. Nothing, it won't recognize the radio com port at all.

I know there's a couple threads regarding this issue but most say to retry the upgrade so to give you an update, here's what I've done:

1. I'm sure I'm using the right updater file - I have the F1.4 boot version so I"m running CPUUpdater_PSR-500-600-BootF14_U2.0.exe

2. I'm sure I have the cable plugged into the PC/IF port. It's the port on the front of the radio with the blue ring around it.

3. I've updated the USB cable drivers with the latest from FTID's site

4. I'm running a Windows XP Pro pc with all the latest updates and I've opened device manager to find the proper com port being used by the cable (com6) and I change that when running the updater program.

5. I've updated 2 other radio's using the same pc, cable and software and they've worked fine.

6. I've even tried to update the f1.4 boot version but as I can't get the software and radio to communicate over the cable I can't get anything to work.

7. I've tried updating this radio on 2 separate pc's - no luck

Not knowing enough of the inner workings of the radio could it be when I mistakenly put the radio in SW upgrade mode and wrote to the radio with PSRedit that somehow that hosed the radio's internal settings/bios/whatever?

I know there's power-on key sequences that reset the radio but as I can't get to the welcome screen I can't get anything to work.

I've logged a ticket with GRE and they answered 1x so far asking the same basic questions (right cable? plugged in properly? LED light blinking?) which I've answered so I'm now waiting for them to reply a 2nd time.

Does anyone have any further suggestions? I'm guessing this thing will have to go back but I'm hoping against hope there's some sort of "trick" that might resolve the issue.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have a PSR 600 radio that has been working fine since I first purchased it about 6-8 months ago. I needed to make some changes to the configuration so I opened up my registered copy of PSRedit made the changes to my saved configuration and attempted to upload the file to the radio. Well when I did this I mistakenly put the radio in SW upgrade mode so when I sent the file to the radio I got a message saying 'error - turn off.' So I did but when I turn the radio back on I get no welcome screen and it now reads:

uP Boot Ver:F1.4
uP App Ver: None
CPU SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF

So I d/l'ed the latest CPU upgrade 2.0 to my pc, unzipped the file and attempted to upload the upgrade. Nothing, it won't recognize the radio com port at all.

I know there's a couple threads regarding this issue but most say to retry the upgrade so to give you an update, here's what I've done:

1. I'm sure I'm using the right updater file - I have the F1.4 boot version so I"m running CPUUpdater_PSR-500-600-BootF14_U2.0.exe

2. I'm sure I have the cable plugged into the PC/IF port. It's the port on the front of the radio with the blue ring around it.

3. I've updated the USB cable drivers with the latest from FTID's site

4. I'm running a Windows XP Pro pc with all the latest updates and I've opened device manager to find the proper com port being used by the cable (com6) and I change that when running the updater program.

5. I've updated 2 other radio's using the same pc, cable and software and they've worked fine.

6. I've even tried to update the f1.4 boot version but as I can't get the software and radio to communicate over the cable I can't get anything to work.

7. I've tried updating this radio on 2 separate pc's - no luck

Not knowing enough of the inner workings of the radio could it be when I mistakenly put the radio in SW upgrade mode and wrote to the radio with PSRedit that somehow that hosed the radio's internal settings/bios/whatever?

I know there's power-on key sequences that reset the radio but as I can't get to the welcome screen I can't get anything to work.

I've logged a ticket with GRE and they answered 1x so far asking the same basic questions (right cable? plugged in properly? LED light blinking?) which I've answered so I'm now waiting for them to reply a 2nd time.

Does anyone have any further suggestions? I'm guessing this thing will have to go back but I'm hoping against hope there's some sort of "trick" that might resolve the issue.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

A similar post a while ago, but it sounds like you have already ruled out the cause of this one:

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/217783-psr-600-locked-up.html

Highpockets

If you have PSRedit running when you try the update, close PSRedit. And you are holding the PGM key while turning the scanner on, like in the directions, also have you tired the test function #2 in the directions?

skondolf

If you have PSRedit running when you try the update, close PSRedit. And you are holding the PGM key while turning the scanner on, like in the directions, also have you tired the test function #2 in the directions?

PSREdit is not running. In fact I rebooted my pc to insure any programs previously running had been shut down.

Yes I'm holding the PROG key down when I turn on the radio. Actually I've tried both ways (holding the key down and not holding it down) as either way brings me directly into the CPU Update mode.

I HAVE to do the test function as the UPDATE button is grayed out until the radio properly communicates with the software via the usb cable. I've even tried changing the com port in device manager that the cable points to.

Highpockets

PSREdit is not running. In fact I rebooted my pc to insure any programs previously running had been shut down.

Yes I'm holding the PROG key down when I turn on the radio. Actually I've tried both ways (holding the key down and not holding it down) as either way brings me directly into the CPU Update mode.

I HAVE to do the test function as the UPDATE button is grayed out until the radio properly communicates with the software via the usb cable. I've even tried changing the com port in device manager that the cable points to.

That's about all I can think of, sorry, The only other thing but I sure you have the right upgrade, are you using the USA version. I want to follow this thread and see how you make out, I may learn something. Good luck! :)

I wish I could be of more help. I'm guessing you already have the file for he upgrade, but if not here is the link.

PSR-500/600 CPU Firmware U2.0 - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

If you purchased it 6 months ago it should still be under warranty. Maybe take it back and see what they can do.

Last edited:

skondolf

Well, thanks for the assistance. I got the issue "resolved" and you won't believe it.

Making the assumption that perhaps a button was stuck or even the PC/IF plug inside the unit was somehow stuck (and because I was really frustrated) I have the radio a "sharp slap" on the top of the case. I went through the upgrade process again and lo and behold the upgrade worked this time. Same cable, same software, same pc, same everything. :confused:

Once I upgraded to 2.0 of the CPU I went into PRSedit and was able to d/l and u/l data without a problem.

Not sure if this is a sign of things to come but at this point the darn thing is working fine. I'll be putting it back on the shelf at the ambulance base and just plan on leaving it alone.

I had a '72 Mercury that worked the same way - I would've thought things would've improved in almost 40 years. :roll:

Highpockets

Well, thanks for the assistance. I got the issue "resolved" and you won't believe it.

Making the assumption that perhaps a button was stuck or even the PC/IF plug inside the unit was somehow stuck (and because I was really frustrated) I have the radio a "sharp slap" on the top of the case. I went through the upgrade process again and lo and behold the upgrade worked this time. Same cable, same software, same pc, same everything. :confused:

Once I upgraded to 2.0 of the CPU I went into PRSedit and was able to d/l and u/l data without a problem.

Not sure if this is a sign of things to come but at this point the darn thing is working fine. I'll be putting it back on the shelf at the ambulance base and just plan on leaving it alone.

I had a '72 Mercury that worked the same way - I would've thought things would've improved in almost 40 years. :roll:

Thanks for passing that on. I don't think I'll use that fix. Well, maybe as a last resort. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.