EZ-SCAN - can't import P25 Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm trying to import a P25 system. The system is marked as TDMA Phase 2 because it has one talkgroup used for TDMA testing. EZ-SCAN will not import the system.

Example ...

Run EZ-Scan
Click on Library Import tab.
Select import type "By Zipcode"
Enter zip code 77002 (downtown Houston, Texas)
Set Import Categories to "All On".
Click "Import"

The "Import Complete" popup window says I have imported 8 trunked systems.

Click on the Trunked Systems tab.

The following system is nowhere to be found.

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Not to confused with this system (which is correctly imported) ...

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola Trunking System, Metro Houston area, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Looks like it is listed under the various counties that they serves. For example if you go to McLennan County/ then go to Systems/then choose Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWarn) by clicking on the right arrow on the wheel. Check sites and then click the right arrow on the wheel again. This will bring up a list of a lot of counties. Pick your county from that list and right click again. You will see the systems of that countries. You can then import those to the various scanlists or V folders. I dont know why they arranged it like this since you would expect it to be under statewide. But it seems like if you can just pick any county that has it and then find your county. Let us know if that works for you.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Rick, I can't seem to find the previous thread on this system, but I think your real problem is that the software and radio will not import Phase II type systems as labeled because the radio will not work with the System Type: Project 25 Phase II (TDMA).

If there are FDMA or X2-TDMA talkgroups, then a mixed mode system type may be needed in order to import and track.

brownlab

Rick, I can't seem to find the previous thread on this system, but I think your real problem is that the software and radio will not import Phase II type systems as labeled because the radio will not work with the System Type: Project 25 Phase II (TDMA).

If there are FDMA or X2-TDMA talkgroups, then a mixed mode system type may be needed in order to import and track.
Yes, I checked EZ scan this morning and Dave is correct. TxWarn is "X" out in that program. The frequecies do show in the radio but they will not load. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

scannerfreak

Database Admin

This is not correct. The latest app and firmware updates allow importing Phase II systems. It can be imported in the radio's library and the app using the standard method. Why it doesn't import with that zip code is another issue.

brownlab

OK, I must have been looking at an older verison of EZ scan because the new verison allows you to import TXWarn however like I said before, the system is found under the counties which use it. Now all I have to do in fly down to Austin and see if it works-LOL. Short of that, let us know if it does. Always interested in new Phase 2 P25 TDMA systems.

SCPD

QRT
Except for a test talkgroup, all of TxWARN is phase 1 FDMA. Any P25 trunking scanner will work.

It's going to take a while for people to understand that a system capable of TDMA does not mean you can't listen to it.

Scannerfreak is correct on the PSR800. It does not support P2, only P1 and X2.

Last edited:

brownlab

The last reliable information from GRE that I read was that they did not know if the 800 would or would not support Phase II TDMA until someone tested a system. However on the Wiki page you will find the following statement "On December 18, 2011, a PSR-800 user confirmed that the PSR-800 cannot currently decode P25 Phase II TDMA (only X2-TDMA)" however, I cannot find that post on RR or anywhere else for that matter. If anyone knows where it is, please let me know. In the meantime I would import the frequencies and see what happens. There is a lot of speculation about P25 Phase II TDMA working or not working on the 800 but I have not read anything definitive one way or the other.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The last reliable information from GRE that I read was that they did not know if the 800 would or would not support Phase II TDMA until someone tested a system. However on the Wiki page you will find the following statement "On December 18, 2011, a PSR-800 user confirmed that the PSR-800 cannot currently decode P25 Phase II TDMA (only X2-TDMA)" however, I cannot find that post on RR or anywhere else for that matter. If anyone knows where it is, please let me know. In the meantime I would import the frequencies and see what happens. There is a lot of speculation about P25 Phase II TDMA working or not working on the 800 but I have not read anything definitive one way or the other.

From the above posts:
It will not work. Currently the radio will only decode X2 TDMA.

Scannerfreak is correct on the PSR800. It does not support P2, only P1 and X2.

brownlab

I understand your point Dave and I have respect for the knowledge of these posters. However I can not find anything "official" regarding if the 800 will or will not decode Phase II TDMA. I am also not aware of anyone who uses the final Phase II TDMA standard. Just some places that are using some TDMA (if you know of anyone that is using the final Phase II TDMA standard (not X-2), please let me know where it is located. Instead of going back and forth about this issue, I have contacted GRE and will see what they say about this. If I get an answer from them, I will let you know. BTW around a year ago, many said that the 800 would not work with X-2 TDMA. Then people started testing the units and found out that they did indeed. Maybe not to same thing this time but lets keep an open mind. If I am wrong, I am wrong and will be the first to admit it. However I need a little more informational than an unaccredited entry on Wikipedia.
Best Regards,
Jeff

scannerfreak

Database Admin
It's been confirmed by GRE, and users, that the radio will not work on "true" Phase II systems. Only Motorola's X2. The system mentioned in this thread uses Phase II TDMA, not X2.

GRE has not said whether or not the radio will ever be able to handle Phase II.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.