EZ SCAN with PSR800 hangs when deleting channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I am trying to clean up some scan lists. I used the hold shift and click method to select multiple channels. They all turned blue then I went to delete them. The program hangs and finally has to be forced closed. This is on a 32 bit Win7 Ultimate PC.

Any ideas?

rwier

I am trying to clean up some scan lists. I used the hold shift and click method to select multiple channels. They all turned blue then I went to delete them. The program hangs and finally has to be forced closed. This is on a 32 bit Win7 Ultimate PC.

Any ideas?

It is SUPER SLOW on this function. I have Vista Ultimate, and If 10 or more are deleted at once, I go make a pot of coffee (or stronger). It "seems" to help a bit (but not much) if you start at the bottom of the list and work up. It also "seems" to help if you remove the numbers in the right column (instead of deleting), moving the objects to the "Unassigned Objects" Scanlist.

Also just do the normal remove or delete operations (key strokes) only ONCE, even if it looks like nothing is happening, because repeating them will actually "hang" the system.

Rob

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
OK, good to know thanks. I will go back and try that.

edit: yep you are right. I minimized it and forgot about it until just now. They are all gone.

thanks

rwier

OK, good to know thanks. I will go back and try that.

edit: yep you are right. I minimized it and forgot about it until just now. They are all gone.

thanks

I know it is pathetic, but if you want to remove several hundred, you might as well go shopping. When you get home.....lol.

10-75

Feed Provider
Rob is right......Deleting channels is Sloooooooowwwwwwww..... I experienced the same thing and thought that the program locked and forced it to close..... When it happened again, I let it sit and it finally came back to life...... Now if I could just get mine to work on the Maricopa RWC system I'd be happy.... (Rob, I followed some of your threads and tried your excellent advice and still have no success)

rwier

Rob is right......Deleting channels is Sloooooooowwwwwwww..... I experienced the same thing and thought that the program locked and forced it to close..... When it happened again, I let it sit and it finally came back to life...... Now if I could just get mine to work on the Maricopa RWC system I'd be happy.... (Rob, I followed some of your threads and tried your excellent advice and still have no success)

Are you in Maricopa County, Arizona?
What radio?
What software?

(I guess I already know, but I like a fresh start, no assumptions, lol)

If I have your radio and your software, you will pass hundreds of others in short order (well, maybe a few days, lol).

Rob

Last edited:

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
It's not just the EZ Scan Digital that does this. EZ Scan also does it, too. I'm in the process of getting rid of un-needed `Conventional' listings and re-arranging all the others. At first I thought it was just that I had over 1500 entries under the `Conventional Frequencies' tab but, after I put together another `CDAT'/`V-Scanner' file to check I discovered that even deleting just 5-10 entries in a `clean' file did exactly the same thing.

Going back one version of the software delete deleted a lot faster. Unfortunately, I think that while I might be able to still be able to use EZ Scan with my PSR-700, the scanner *seems* to not be `upset' with the older version's files and settings so far, I suspect that I won't be as lucky with the PSR-800 using an older version of EZ Scan Digital because of the latest `Firmware' change that I've already applied.

Unfortunately, given how slow GRE's software `writers' seem to be when it comes to just `updates', I figure that holding one's breath until they `correct' this issue wouldn't be all that great of an idea. {GRIMACE!} (*IF* we still had the competition on the PC side of the scanner software like we have had in the past with the earlier PSR series scanners I suspect that we'd see an update in just a few days instead of weeks or months.) Oh, well...

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I think this may be a glitch in a older version.

I've tested it out on my copy DL'd like 2 weeks ago, and it took 1/2 second to delete 30+ channels.

And maybe 1 second to delete 500 TGIDS.

rwier

It seems like the programmers used the most simple of processes to erase multiple lines of data. One character at a time, at about the speed of a competent typist. Hacking the tail off of a snake, one mm at a time, lol.

rwier

I think this may be a glitch in a older version.

I've tested it out on my copy DL'd like 2 weeks ago, and it took 1/2 second to delete 30+ channels.

And maybe 1 second to delete 500 TGIDS.

Thanks Bud, I'll check for UpDates.

rwier

Went to GRE Support.
Downloaded latest Updater.
My download software informed me that I had previously downloaded this same item.
I selected to continue and overwrite.
Installed again.

Went the program.
Clicked on Updates Tab (at top).
Selected Check For Software Update.
Was advised that an Update "was available".
(This is when I realized that I was up to date on the latest "Updater" but not the latest "Update")
Performed the download and installed the "Update".

Opened EZScan.
Selected the "Unassigned Scanlist" for testing purposes.

Deleted thirty (30) lines off the bottom of a 300 object list. Time = ninety (90) seconds.
Deleted nine (9) lines of the top of the remainder. Time = eight (8) minutes (not seconds, lol).

I mentioned before that I felt it was faster from the bottom.

rwier

And NOWEF, just to make sure I'm on the same page, I deleted using the "Delete Channel" button at the far, upper, right of the program screen. I haven't tried Control X, Control C, or Keyboard Delete.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
And NOWEF, just to make sure I'm on the same page, I deleted using the "Delete Channel" button at the far, upper, right of the program screen. I haven't tried Control X, Control C, or Keyboard Delete.

Yep, the one under "Duplicate" and on TRS page under "New"

I even tried my older computer, works the same.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it's the OS? I'm running Vista 32bit. X's 2 and have a Netbook with XP

10-75

Feed Provider
Are you in Maricopa County, Arizona?
What radio?
What software?

(I guess I already know, but I like a fresh start, no assumptions, lol)

If I have your radio and your software, you will pass hundreds of others in short order (well, maybe a few days, lol).

Rob

Rob,

I'm in Phoenix near the airport....I have the 800 and all my software/firmware is the latest revs....... I also have a HP-1 which I also could not get to work on the RWC system......Both of these scanners are marketed to nubes (Which I am not - Only to P25 digital systems) as plug and play but at least on a P-25 digital system, there is no way a nube is going to figure this out...... I now have the HP-1 working for the most part and the 800 is now working slightly after I locked out all but a few of the sites....... I suspect that the radio can't handle all the sites that are automatically downloaded as well as muti-path issues. I also have a problem decoding PL tones on conventional channels. I am going to get an RMA for my 800 as I'm sure I have a dud.....

rwier

Rob,

I'm in Phoenix near the airport....I have the 800 and all my software/firmware is the latest revs....... I also have a HP-1 which I also could not get to work on the RWC system......Both of these scanners are marketed to nubes (Which I am not - Only to P25 digital systems) as plug and play but at least on a P-25 digital system, there is no way a nube is going to figure this out...... I now have the HP-1 working for the most part and the 800 is now working slightly after I locked out all but a few of the sites....... I suspect that the radio can't handle all the sites that are automatically downloaded as well as muti-path issues. I also have a problem decoding PL tones on conventional channels. I am going to get an RMA for my 800 as I'm sure I have a dud.....

Made up a Test VScanner Folder #20
Made a Back/UP VScanner Folder #21 (leave alone)
Attached them to this post

Using Windows Explorer, drill down through......Desktop/User(YOU)/Documents/EZ Scan Digital
(Or find the EZ Scan Digital Folder)

Copy the zipped attachments to your computer (I use the Desktop)
Unzip the files (You should see VS Folder #20 and #21)
Copy or Move these unzipped files to the EZ Scan Digital Folder (fouind above)

Open EZScan Software.......In the Program.....File.....Open VScanner Folder.....Select VS# 20 (10-75 TEST VS Central Phoenix). (Resist the temptation to tinker. Tinker here ONLY if you are forced to operate with batteries only. These settings assume external power.)

In the program.....Scanner/SD Card.....Copy Configuration to...........Scanner Memory/SD Card.....Be careful here.....I would copy only the single #20 (no deletes or other copying)

Go to the radio.....Main Menu......Down to V-Scanner.....Right Caret.....Find the #20 Folder.......Select......Scan

There is no guarantee that the result will be better than what you are already getting. My antenna, along with a power splitter/booster (In line just before my radio/s) increases the signal strength at the radio to twice, and some times much more than twice, that which I was getting prior to acquiring these two items. This is not subjective, but proven by the analytic features of the HP-1 (E). I would assume you are using a combination of equipment similar to that which I have previously used, and rejected after HP-1 (E) testing.

Listen for differences between the new and the old. Report back.

I have no problem with arranging side-by-side testing with up to four radios at once (including yours) from one antenna. I can do it with the equipment already in my truck. If desired in the future to see any such testing in person, just holler. Won't cost you anything, lol.

Rob

Attachments

• CDAT_VS.020.zip
    167 KB · Views: 95
  • CDAT_VS.021.zip
    179.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.