Major Problem Programming Two PSR-800's

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve888

Okay, here's the problem. Sorry for all the info that follows but the only way to describe the problem is to explain step-by-step what I'm doing.

I bought a PSR-800 online a week ago and had it programmed by the dealer. It worked fine for a few hours and then I tried to add some new channels from the library to a different scanlist. I drilled down into the library, selected Fairfax County, then Systems "Fairfax County Public Safety", and then put a check by "Sites", and under Categories I selected "Fairfax County Fire" and "Fairfax County Police".

Then, I selected Menu, then Import Selected, then I put a checkmark by the scanlist where I wanted the channels (in this case, scanlist 5), then I selected Menu again, and then finally "Import Now".

At this point I can see the scanner importing the channels to the scanlist and when it's done importing them, I select ">Sel" again twice and I see 119 Groups Changed (meaning the Groups are now in scanlist 5).

I then go back to the Scanlist choice at the Main Menu, select it, and make sure that scanlist 5 has a checkmark next to it so it's set to be scanned.

Then I go back to the Main Menu again, select Scan, and it says "Nothing to Scan!"

When I go into Browse Objects from the Main Menu I can see all of the 119 Groups in scanlist 5 but, for some reason, I can't scan any of them from the Main Menu. But when I go into one of the individual channels through the Browse Objects route and select a single channel to monitor (like a dispatch channel that would have a lot of traffic) I can pick up broadcasts okay.

This happened with the first scanner I bought online and I returned it but the dealer was out of stock for two weeks on the PSR-800 so I found a local ham radio shop and bought a second one from them. I programmed this second scanner okay this morning and it worked fine but now I'm having the same problem I've tried to describe above.

Surely I didn't purchase two bad scanners in a row did I? It must be something I'm doing wrong. I've updated the firmware and library database and I'm also using an Austin Condor 13" antenna (upgrade over the stock antenna). The reception is very good, whenever I can get something of course.

Anyway, to those of you who are experienced with the PSR-800 I would really appreciate any help. I was having so much fun with this thing and now I'm about ready to give up after having the same issue with two brand new scanners.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
from a GRE support ticket regarding "Nothing to scan":

"Thank you for contacting GRE.

In the PC Application, please enable the advanced tab if it is not already (it can be enabled in the Advanced Menu).

On the Advanced tab, check the Scan Sets area on the upper right side of the screen.

In order for a scanlist to be scanned, it must be enabled on the General Settings Tab, and be a member of an enabled scan set. Normally the default is to have a single scan set with all scanlists as a member of that set and that set is enabled.

Check that first to see if it will resolve the issue."

steve888

Thanks

Thanks a lot! I'm away from my PC at the moment but I will try this in a few minutes when I return. What's weird is that when I had this problem with the first scanner, I called the online dealer and a tech rep at GRE and, over the phone, went through everything step-by-step with both of them without any luck.

It sounds like all you did was just Google this...amazing...

I'll report back in a few to let you know if this worked...thanks again!

from a GRE support ticket regarding "Nothing to scan":

"Thank you for contacting GRE.

In the PC Application, please enable the advanced tab if it is not already (it can be enabled in the Advanced Menu).

On the Advanced tab, check the Scan Sets area on the upper right side of the screen.

In order for a scanlist to be scanned, it must be enabled on the General Settings Tab, and be a member of an enabled scan set. Normally the default is to have a single scan set with all scanlists as a member of that set and that set is enabled.

Check that first to see if it will resolve the issue."

rwier

"Thank you for contacting GRE..........................In order for a scanlist to be scanned, it must be enabled on the General Settings Tab, and be a member of an enabled scan set............................................"

and from the PDF Manual:

"IF an Object is mapped to an enabled Scan List, AND, that "Scanlist is enabled, AND, that Scanlist is a member of an enabled Scan Set, THEN, that Object will be scanned when the▶/II/SEL key is pressed."

steve888

Geez Am I Stupid !!!

Okay, I think I'm getting the hang of this (thanks very much fxdscon and rwier). I was mapping an object to an enabled scanlist but not mapping the scanlist to a scan set. I think the first scanner I sent back might have been 100% okay then...oh boy. Sounds like a PIBCAK error to me (Problem Is Between Chair And Keyboard).

Anyway, now that I've managed to add a bunch of channels and scanlists that I don't really want to wade through because they are so large, how do you get to the "Clear Channels" option on the keyboard menu (not the software menu). It used to be under the "Settings" menu from the "Main Menu" on the first scanner I had but now I don't see it there. I want to wipe everything out and start over adding objects to scanlists and then mapping them to scan sets.

What's sad is that I printed the PSR-800 manual and read it BEFORE I even got my first scanner and thought I understood what I was doing...boy was I wrong!

Anyway, thanks again (especially if you can tell me how to clear all my channels)...

steve888

Okay, I think I've figured this out now (thanks again). I'm now monitoring what I choose to put in the scanlists/scansets and it's working fine. The challenge is whittling down the number of channels you scan so things are fast (there are tons of channels in my area).

Just one final question though...if I'm using the software to program the scanner instead of the keypad, how do I get my newly-programmed scanlists/scansets onto the scanner? Do I go to "Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/SD Card"?

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Easier to pick and choose what to listen to and to which Scanlist before importing. Once imported to EZ Scan, Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/SD Card.

steve888

Thanks

Easier to pick and choose what to listen to and to which Scanlist before importing. Once imported to EZ Scan, Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/SD Card.

Thanks for the confirmation...I'll do it that way instead of using the keypad. I appreciate everyone's help on this forum.

It seems that the problem was really with me and not the scanner. Once you figure out how to program it properly, the PSR-800 rocks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.