Show me the PSR-610..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

Got your attention?

We all know that the PSR-600 is becoming a bit 'old in the tooth', so what next for those of us that want full keyboard control in our scanner?

I would imagine that the logical step for GRE, once their engineers have completed the PSR900 development, would be to re-engineer the PSR600 into a PSR410 style format.
As most of the hard & costly design and tooling work has already been completed in the development of the 410, it would not be beyond the realms of possibility that GRE would utilize the same case & display as the basis for an updated 'full function' digital base/mobile scanner .

So without further ado, my suggestion for the 'Son of PSR600':

PSR410 case & display.
SD card base memory system
CQPSK / LSM decoding (for the increasing number of simulcast networks)
TDMA decoding (DMR)
Direct USB connection (using a standard generic USB lead)
GPS based scanning support

Well, I've put it out there..

Lets see what discussion this generates..

Attachments

• 500px-PSR-410.jpg
    500px-PSR-410.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Awww...you didn't paint a perfectly good 600 did ya? :(
I dunno I'm kinda happy with mine the way it is now,lol!

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Some extras borrowed from the '800

Headphone jack discriminator audio
Native USB power and data
SD memory slot
IQ sample data via USB

Phase 2 TDMA is a must have.

I know - this is a departure from the '410.

Last edited:

Boatanchor

Awww...you didn't paint a perfectly good 600 did ya? :(
I dunno I'm kinda happy with mine the way it is now,lol!

n9zas

No LOL, it's just a pic of the PSR410.
I wish my 600 had that sweet 410 display though and the black front panel. Does black ever really go out of fashion?

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Two additions to the PSR-610 Wish List:
1- Better VHF filter so I don't have to use a FM Trap to reduce intermod.
2- A tap on the back for a 'Line Out' connection for recording.

gewecke

Banned
Two additions to the PSR-610 Wish List:
1- Better VHF filter so I don't have to use a FM Trap to reduce intermod.
2- A tap on the back for a 'Line Out' connection for recording.

Hmmm...Actually if one was adventurous, those additions might be doable without a lot of effort! :wink:

n9zas

Boatanchor

Hmmm...Actually if one was adventurous, those additions might be doable without a lot of effort! :wink:

n9zas

Yes, I use a home brew wideband pre-amp using a low noise 'Mini-circuit' device.
The preamp makes a huge difference on weak signal VHF and 400Mhz reception. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of very strong nearby transmitters (other than FM broadcast 6 miles away) otherwise the preamp would be a complete waste of time.

The preamp has dual FM traps right at the antenna input circuit. Not hard to make with about four turns
open spaced inductor and a trimmer cap in series to ground. One filter circuit gives a nice deep notch to three or four close spaced FM stations, but if you have several nearby stations spread across the FM band, it does get a bit more tricky. I had to use two series resonant circuits to provide the required notch bandwidth to cover my local FM stations at the top and bottom end of the FM broadcast band. You drop these signals by 20-30dB and it makes a huge difference :)

Since GRE scanners don't tune the FM broadcast band anyway (unlike the Uniden units), you would think there would be sufficient 88-108Mhz band rejection built into these units by default.

Boatanchor

Lots of excellent comments & suggestions here guys.. :)

I'm pretty sure that GRE take note of comments on this board in particular, so lets let them know what we want (keeping it within the realms of possibility and at a sensible price) and maybe they will build it for us..

Happy scanning all..

gewecke

Banned
HI all, I'd love to see Encryption mute on the 610 like what the 800 has. can get quite painful listening to that.
cheers
Matt

In a way you do! If it's a encrypted P25 talkgroup then you can mute it, by entering it in a list, then locking it out of that list. If you do not have the wildcard turned on then you will NOT hear the encrypted talkgroup! :)
At times, even with the wildcard turned on, I still have not heard the encrypted talkgroups in a list.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.