GRE PSR-120 Post-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well, for good or bad I guess I'll start the early adopters club for the GRE PSR-120. :twisted:

I purchased on Monday afternoon and it arrived today via Universal Radio for $99.95.

I also purchased the PSREdit 120 program for $10 today to download data from the Radioreference Database. The program works with the 1/8" stereo jack USB to Serial interface from GRE/Radio Shack.

First some eye candy for reference.The product flyer

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Some pictures:

Attachments

• PSR120.jpg
    PSR120.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,457
  • Comparison 1.jpg
    Comparison 1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 3,278
  • Front Keypad.jpg
    Front Keypad.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,307
  • Side by.jpg
    Side by.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,725
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,587

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Additional pictures:

Attachments

• L-Side.jpg
    L-Side.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,273
  • R-Side.jpg
    R-Side.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,295
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,324
  • Boxacc.jpg
    Boxacc.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,387

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
On the way home I used the supplied antenna and was surprised at the hits on Spectrum Sweeper near field capture. I had several data signals and an EMS repeater output right off the bat, and at home using a Maldol AL-500 I captured a Chicago approach frequency. It keeps up with the BC125AT on the civil air band, but unfortunately does not include the military air band. The standard NOAA WX radio keypress produced the local weather load and clear and quickly. This is a great feature that the BC125AT takes a Hold, function + Keypress 3 to get just the WX menu, then a scroll control tap or press enter just to hear the weather. Another great feature is the Skywarn function. You can assign a local Ham Skywarn frequency to the WX key, then with a 2-second long press, access the alert net or the nightly rag-chew.

The fit and finish is top shelf. The flyer actually pointed out you can use the spring loaded optional belt clip from GRE that comes standard with the PSR-800. It does come with an AC adapter, a plus in my book. It uses three "AA" batteries, so the battery life may be longer than the 125.

The display is great large numerals for easy to read channel and frequency display, but another downside is that you can not display alpha-tags as you can on the 125.

The auto-squelch on the air band with the Maldol AL-500H has to be in the high position, and I am noticing some more distant missed calls on the 120 vs. the 125 with a squelch setting of "2", but open squelch is producing clear and loud audio from the speaker. You can disable (open) the squelch using the on/off button on the upper left side of the radio, if needed.

All features and function appear to be normal operation for GRE scanners (with exception to the squelch). I find it an easy to program and use "bank and channel" conventional scanner.

The addition of the FM Broadcast band is somewhat unique for this price range and scanner type, but a welcome addition for emergencies. I would have opt for the military air band or even alpha-tags in trade of the FM band however.

Nice work GRE.

Kel

Nice looking pictures,and I also like the size of the display,now I would like to see GRE develop a digital scanner that similar size.(Display and buttons)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Thank's Kel. I agree on the display and case size for a P25/trunking scanner radio.

I am experiencing a similar phenomenon that was reported on the Uniden BC125AT. Occasional, stops on a civil air band with aftermarket antennas are apparently capturing the display clock signal. You can hear white noise with a clicking sound on some of the frequencies. Fortunately I have yet to hear this on an active frequency, so far. Also, with aftermarket antennas are picking up more stray noise over the included antenna even on the high automatic squelch setting. So you may need an antenna that doesn't have as much gain for the band you are interested in for day to day use. I suspect that the price level, and the radio size, is a clue to the amount of metal cover grounding involved in the receiver circuit.

Pro vs. Con. on the 120 and the 125:

I like the size of both radios, obviously the antenna makes the radio for the band of interest, but also the amount of noise is increased as well.

The memory is adequate for each radio, with an edge for the 125 using the "AT" alpha-tags especially useful for event scanning that these radios will be used for. The display is much easier to read on the 120 vs. the 125, but without the alpha-tags the difference is not that great.

The backlight on both radios are about the same and very readable in moderate sunlight. There is a press and hold lock for the 120 light button, press again to release. The advantage for the 125 is the ability to set a light to on when there is squelch activity or key press.

The sound from the speaker is about the same for both radios. Volume control advantage is with the 120, using the analog potentiometer. Squelch advantage goes to the 125 for the ability to set a level as needed for different antenna usage or noise floor adjustment.

The 120 has a wider band coverage, but for events the 125 covers all the bands needed. It's a real shame about the missing mil-air band for air show enthusiasts. I would have also liked the addition of a Railroad service search for the 120.

The Tune on manual frequency entry for the 120 and Frequency entry in Hold on the 125 are nearly the same in function. CTCSS/DCS capture is nearly the same.

I like the extra battery in the 120 for extended on time and the addition of the AC adapter. The 125 does have the included rechargeable batteries included and can be charged from the USB port if needed with an included cable.

Reception on Spectrum Sweeper seems to be a little better this time around on the 120 vs. the Close-Call of the 125, but both will capture near field action quickly.

Programming is easy for me on each radio because I am accustomed to the programming style of each, but I would lean toward the 120 for the ease of bank and channel frequency entry. Using the third party software (PSREdit vs. Butel ARC) for each radio is about the same. You still need to install the drivers for the interface, know your COM port in use (or let the program find it) and be able to log into the Radioreference database or input the frequency data bay hand.

If I had to choose between the two, I think the Uniden BC125AT would be better for the event scanning that it was designed for. As a starter radio, with general coverage, FM broadcast, ease of use, and banks and channels. The GRE PSR-120 is a great way to go. You could still hear the Air-Boss, Race car action, and scan the rails on the 120, so it could cover most of the events as long as you know what the frequency is assigned to.

petrol88

It appears that it does not have NFM mode for the narrowbanded channels (all business and public safety VHF/UHF by the end of this year). Doesn't that make this a poor choice vs. 125 for most conventional scanning?

dpm3

I am wondering if the firmware might be upgradeable to handle the narrowbanding at some point in the future?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It appears that it does not have NFM mode for the narrowbanded channels (all business and public safety VHF/UHF by the end of this year). Doesn't that make this a poor choice vs. 125 for most conventional scanning?

The manual states:
150.8525-154.4975 7.5 kHz steps (FM)
154.650-156.045 7.5 kHz steps (FM)
156.0525-156.1725 7.5 kHz steps (FM)
156.18-156.2475 7.5 kHz steps (FM)
157.47-160.8225 7.5 kHz steps (FM)
160.83-161.5725 7.5 kHz steps (FM)
FM 12 dB SINAD at Dev.: 3kHz at 1kHz 0.3 uV

Until I can find an active narrowband frequency, I can't say how well it sounds, but everything else I've heard so far is loud and clear.

scannersnstuff

DaveIN, great pics. if you have the time or inclination, would you do a mini review ?. i'm very close to pulling the trigger. i can't resist inexpensive scanners.

Last edited by a moderator:

mancow

Database Admin
Thats what the 800 should have looked like.

I think if GRE would like to double their sales they would copy the design in digital.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what DC power cord would work with this unit? It could also be a cigar light cord. I would replace a BC245 in my auto.
Than ks Ed

Kel

Mine arrived yesterday so I had a chance to use it today,simply bought it for VHF and the FM band and the price is right,one thing that looks great is the size of the display,I kind of agree with the previous remark,it would sure make a nice digital unit.

SquierStrat

MAN everything about this scanner is just screaming at me to buy it, except for the squelch. I just dont know if i'd be able to get along with the way this scanner does squelch. oh well, maybe, over time, if i read lots of great reviews on how the squelch does, i may change my mind. hopefully.
id skip this scanner right away and jump on the bc125at, but i cant stand how my 396xt and previous 346xt handle ctcss/dcs tones. always seems to miss the first half second of a transmission. and GRE scanners are PERFECT in this department..

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Squelch Not an Issue

This is a heck of a scanner for 100 bucks, hands down.

Excellent receiver quality GRE is known for, with loud crisp audio.

I bought it for the spectrum sweeper, which is fantastic on this unit, so for me everything else on this scanner is a bonus.

I really have to hand it to them on the design of this unit. Small package, yet a huge display. You can't miss the frequency and other window information on this scanner! I wish there was a case for it, as this is a display destined to be scratched. (Scanner Master?)

I keep the squelch OFF on spectrum sweep, and it only breaks on an active transmission.

99.9 % of my conventional frequencies utilize CTCSS or digital tones, so I turn the squelch ON and set it to low. Works like a charm for me, and I am in the NY metro high RE environment. Usually a very short or NO squelch tail as a result. With this setting, the 120 receives transmissions on par or better then other scanners with traditional squelch settings.

Obviously, much of the country will require digital and / or trunking capabilities, if so this is obviously not the scanner for you, nor was it meant to be.

scannersnstuff

well i bit the bullet, and bought one from the fine folks at scannermaster. so far i am impressed by the build,audio quality,fm radio etc. i do have a question though. in reading thru the owners manual, it appears that you cannot assign a ctcss tone without the radio first seeking out the tone. is this correct?.
if not, then could someone please tell me how to directly enter one. if not, i'll be sitting around waiting for all my frequencies to become active.

Status
Not open for further replies.