RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2012, 7:55 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,628
Default PSR-800 & Windows 8

Anyone tried using EX-Scan on Win 8? As usual even though it has been RTM; released to manufacturer there is not a working driver.
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-163, Radio Shack Pro-18
Win97, iScan

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2012, 9:09 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,081
Default

I still run XP . . and until it dies I am not going to go with anything else. I believe in the old saying "If it isn't broken .. don't fix it". So .. I am not one that is going to use the latest and greatest as it is usually more trouble than it is worth.
__________________
Scanners: PSR-500, Pro 2004, Pro 2006, BC780XLT, BC246T
Ham: FT-7800R, FT-2900R, VX-170, UV3R Mark II
Software: Unitrunker, Etrunker *gotta love DOS ? PSREdit500
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2012, 9:19 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,628
Default

Thanks, I've every one of them so far.
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-163, Radio Shack Pro-18
Win97, iScan

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 1,689
Default

I guess we are at GRE's mercy with this one.
I tried all my FTDI based adapters and they work fine under Win 8 but I did not try the PSR800 nor any of my Prolific based interfaces and adapters.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,628
Default

My FTDI Radio Shark 2047 works well on Win 8, but I can't use my Prolific serial Uniden cable yet either.
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-163, Radio Shack Pro-18
Win97, iScan

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 1,689
Default

I guess the HP1 users may be in the same boat also. I did not think about that one either when I tried the RTM of Win 8.

I just can't force myself to like the metro interface in Win 8 so I'd imagine I'll be one of the slow ones to use it on a regular basis.

I also still have a bunch of XP machines at home and work but I mainly run Win 7 at home and maybe 35% of the machines at work.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 PM
mike_s104's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Berkeley Co. WV/ Loudoun Co. VA
Posts: 4,294
Default

If you don't like the new interface, I believe the program Display Fusion can show a Win7 interface. I use it at work and home but not on Win8. I'm pretty sure I read in a change log that they added that in a recent version.

If I have a chance tomorrow, I'll try the EZ Scan software on it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2012, 9:35 PM
mike_s104's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Berkeley Co. WV/ Loudoun Co. VA
Posts: 4,294
Default

EZ Scan v1.06 installs, loads and updates correctly in Win8 as far as I can tell. I did not try a lot of the settings and functions. I also did not try it with the scanner.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 2:58 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s104 View Post
EZ Scan v1.06 installs, loads and updates correctly in Win8 as far as I can tell. I did not try a lot of the settings and functions. I also did not try it with the scanner.
The program itself works fine in Win 8, but there is no driver for the 800's cable in Win 8. I just used a usb adapter to update my micro sd card.
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-163, Radio Shack Pro-18
Win97, iScan

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 4:05 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St Louis County Missouri
Posts: 99
Default

I had problems too with a new computer and windows 8. Someone who knows more than i do figured it out that i had to hookup my 800's cable to the USB port then restart the computer. Once it is restarted it recognizes my device and the USB port. It is a bit of a pain but hey it works.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2012, 8:05 PM
kc2kth's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 94
Default Here's what I've done

I still use ARC250 with my BC296D as well as Win500 for my pro-197 (and possibly soon a psr-500 as well). To avoid all of the upgrade headaches I keep Windows XP around in the form of a virtual machine and these apps run in that vm. My computers have all been Mac for the past six years, but I'm still able to use the above apps in XP (including using a serial to USB converter). I happen to be using Parallels to host my virutal machine, but free solutions like Virtualbox would likely work just as well. I believe vmware still has a free solution as well?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2012, 6:18 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,628
Default

With Windows 8 being officially released; hopefully they update the driver soon.
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-163, Radio Shack Pro-18
Win97, iScan

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7
Exclamation Any ETA on a Win8 driver solution for PSR800?

I had to update the desktop to Win 8 due a major OS failure on my desktop and now I cant do anything with my scanner except to update the libraries through the USB cable (although Ive usually done it by taking out the memory card and putting it in a reader to work faster). Really wish this would get fixed soon but my worry is with the GRE failure Im thinking it may not be for awhile.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2012, 4:59 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Default Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s104 View Post
EZ Scan v1.06 installs, loads and updates correctly in Win8 as far as I can tell. I did not try a lot of the settings and functions. I also did not try it with the scanner.
Same here. I can use the software with an external card reader but the driver's for the scanner radio (used for DSP and CPU programming) do not work for me, running Windows 8 Pro. No problems with Windows 7.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2012, 7:30 PM
GrumpyAeroGuy's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 220
Default

Not that it is convenient...... but........

Guess one could set up a virtual machine (assuming your hardware supports it) with XP, and run it that way....

VMWare has a free client... and MS offers a VM with XP for free (at least they did with Win7). Maybe overkill, but a solution none-the-less.
__________________
GrumpyAeroGuy
------------------------------------
BC235XLT, PSR500
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2012, 8:33 PM
RonnieUSA's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rowan County,KY (Morehead)
Posts: 1,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlMMY View Post
Same here. I can use the software with an external card reader but the driver's for the scanner radio (used for DSP and CPU programming) do not work for me, running Windows 8 Pro. No problems with Windows 7.
Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?
That should solve your problem.
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-197 Tapped - Win500 - ID Tracker III
NooElect R820T SDR & DVB-T x2 - SDRSharp
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2012, 6:37 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Default Windows 8 firmware update driver support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieUSA View Post
Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?
That should solve your problem.
Thanks. The software works fine and recognizes the SD card whether via the USB - scanner or an external reader. I am having no problem saving profiles and updating the library. I just can't get the PSR-800 driver to communicate (yellow triangle in device manager) with the scanner for updating the dsp and cpu? I had to use my Windows 7 machine to get the latest firmware updates.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2012, 1:39 PM
MORSEMAN's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 23
Default Windows 8 installation of unsigned driver

After getting a hint from GRE and doing some more looking into this I wrote down how I got Windows 8 to work with the PSR 800 driver for updates. I am not sure if this is called compatibility mode or not but the following worked for me. I could not find that this had been posted anywhere so I thought that I would add it. I hope this helps someone.

Windows 8 installation of unsigned driver for GRE PSR800

1-Copy .inf file from the PSR800 CD to a folder on your computer
2-When you are signed in to Windows 8 as Administrator connect the PSR 800. It will then attempt to load the driver and appear to succeed but the driver will not be working at that point.
3-Load the Charms Bar by pointing the mouse at the upper right hand corner of the screen.
4-Select Power and hit restart while holding down the Shift key.
5-A selection of Troubleshooting options will come up, select the Troubleshoot option
6-Another page will appear, select Advanced Options.
7-The next page will display several repair options, Select the Startup Settings to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart on the next page.
8- A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select #7 or F7 to disable Driver Signature enforcement.
9 Windows 8 will restart.
10-With the PSR 800 still connected open Device Manager from the Control Panel. Select the Com port assigned to the PSR 800 and select Update Driver.
11-Select Browse and point it to the folder in which you copied the .inf file from the PSR 800 CD.
12-Install this Driver. An alert screen will pop up to warn you that this is an unsigned driver, Select install anyway. This will load the unsigned driver and allow it to work with EZScan
13-Check to see if it is working by Starting EZScan and selecting Scanner SD Card and select to set the Real Time Clock to Computer time. If it does it successfully you are good to go.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2012, 7:09 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Thumbs up Windows 8 COM driver - this works

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORSEMAN View Post
After getting a hint from GRE and doing some more looking into this I wrote down how I got Windows 8 to work with the PSR 800 driver for updates. I am not sure if this is called compatibility mode or not but the following worked for me. I could not find that this had been posted anywhere so I thought that I would add it. I hope this helps someone.

Windows 8 installation of unsigned driver for GRE PSR800

1-Copy .inf file from the PSR800 CD to a folder on your computer
2-When you are signed in to Windows 8 as Administrator connect the PSR 800. It will then attempt to load the driver and appear to succeed but the driver will not be working at that point.
3-Load the Charms Bar by pointing the mouse at the upper right hand corner of the screen.
4-Select Power and hit restart while holding down the Shift key.
5-A selection of Troubleshooting options will come up, select the Troubleshoot option
6-Another page will appear, select Advanced Options.
7-The next page will display several repair options, Select the Startup Settings to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart on the next page.
8- A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select #7 or F7 to disable Driver Signature enforcement.
9 Windows 8 will restart.
10-With the PSR 800 still connected open Device Manager from the Control Panel. Select the Com port assigned to the PSR 800 and select Update Driver.
11-Select Browse and point it to the folder in which you copied the .inf file from the PSR 800 CD.
12-Install this Driver. An alert screen will pop up to warn you that this is an unsigned driver, Select install anyway. This will load the unsigned driver and allow it to work with EZScan
13-Check to see if it is working by Starting EZScan and selecting Scanner SD Card and select to set the Real Time Clock to Computer time. If it does it successfully you are good to go.
This workaround worked perfectly for me. The clock updated, firmware update check worked. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: PALM BEACH, FLORIDA
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I still run XP . . and until it dies I am not going to go with anything else. I believe in the old saying "If it isn't broken .. don't fix it". So .. I am not one that is going to use the latest and greatest as it is usually more trouble than it is worth.
I'm with you 1000% on this. I have 6 machines, & they are all on XP which is stable & does everything I need. No need to have the latest & greatest, only to be a lab rat for Microsoft. All my machines are used for programming radios, & using Windows 7, or 8, wont make programming any better. So why use it. If I was a major gamer, then yes, I'd have a new machine & only use it for gaming. XP works, is stable, so no need for the latest & greatest. Hey, all those people who waited outside Best Buy to get the latest machine last week probably have an XP machine with a serial port to sell for $100, or less. Buy that & make it the dedicated radio programming machine.
__________________
GARY N4KVE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions