PSR-800 Black Friday Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonnieUSA

Last edited:

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
The guy I talked to at HRO in Phoenix said they are hoping to get rid of them, as they have a lot of complaints on these units. They don't have very good reception really, not as good as the PSR-500 / PRO-106. That said, the feature set is unique and very cool.

Vegas_Eric

The reason I like and need the PSR-800 is that Vegas Law Enforcement (Boulder City, Henderson & North Las Vegas - Hopefully Metro since the Harris Open Sky Deal was a failure), is slowly transitioning over to Phase II TDMA traffic on their units. I have a PSR-500 which is an awesome scanner, as well as the BCD996XT, however neither is capable of receiving any of this new Phase II TDMA traffic.

I have been hearing the radio tech working with the Phase II TDMA stuff for a few months now and the PSR-800 is my only scanner that will work. Since it's an 800Mhz Motorola Trunking System, it saturates the Valley. The small antenna included with the PSR-800 works really nice.

Maybe in a rural setting, would you need a better antenna and maybe that would correct some of the issues mentioned above. A good antenna makes all the difference. I have a Diamond RH77CA that works nice and would suggest getting one of those antennas as well with the scanner.

Eric

The guy I talked to at HRO in Phoenix said they are hoping to get rid of them, as they have a lot of complaints on these units. They don't have very good reception really, not as good as the PSR-500 / PRO-106. That said, the feature set is unique and very cool.

Hearing that,i have a tough time believing..but i also read the posts regarding issues and i find myself fortunate ive not suffered these problems..
..im lucky-i got a used 800,with about an extra 40$ in accy's,,off the bay for 335-shipped...almost a year now..runs like a swiss watch!

troymail

Silent Key
I've come to the conclusion that no matter what any vendor offers (particularly in this hobby), there are always going to be some problems and there are always going to be people who don't like what is being offered -- that's just part of the business and hobby.

You can wait for perfection and/or something that does anything and everything you want - but you'll be waiting for something that will never be produced and even if it was, it would cost so much then people would complain about that too.... and, with the pace of technology change, something new that the radio can't do would appear the next day.

The radio systems are getting more and more complex - no more simple enter a frequency and listen. I believe both Uniden and GRE have offered radios recently that attempt to simplify programming and lower the bar/cost of entry for the typical user to get into the hobby. That would not only benefit the vendors with more sales but also potentially benefit the rest of us by potentially lowering the cost per unit. However, there are many who believe they "lose control" when things like keypads, etc. are taken away.

Vendors really need to satisfy both types of user - the iPod user and the "nerd-knob" guys. But at the same time, people need to realize that when you are "chasing" after technology, you're just not going to get perfection.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Black Friday PSR800

Eric thanks for your posting I am also need one. A few days ago I found a new one at $329 but I waited a day and now gone. I was looking at mobilepc.com
Can anyone out there find a new PSR800 at $329?
Thanks
Walt

IowaGuy1603

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what any vendor offers (particularly in this hobby), there are always going to be some problems and there are always going to be people who don't like what is being offered -- that's just part of the business and hobby.

You can wait for perfection and/or something that does anything and everything you want - but you'll be waiting for something that will never be produced and even if it was, it would cost so much then people would complain about that too.... and, with the pace of technology change, something new that the radio can't do would appear the next day.

The radio systems are getting more and more complex - no more simple enter a frequency and listen. I believe both Uniden and GRE have offered radios recently that attempt to simplify programming and lower the bar/cost of entry for the typical user to get into the hobby. That would not only benefit the vendors with more sales but also potentially benefit the rest of us by potentially lowering the cost per unit. However, there are many who believe they "lose control" when things like keypads, etc. are taken away.

Vendors really need to satisfy both types of user - the iPod user and the "nerd-knob" guys. But at the same time, people need to realize that when you are "chasing" after technology, you're just not going to get perfection.

Much like a computer. Today you buy the state of the art, tomorrow it is outdated.

I have been using the PSR 800 for over 18 months and love it. Most of the time with the stock ducky. Sometimes with a RS 800mh antenna or using an extension mount to the outside of the vehicle

It works great for me, and I really don't have to work to get it programed for anything I need

I use my at home and on the job when I transport prisoners all over the state and into nearby states. It sits right next to my public safety (commercially installed) Kenwoods

I just ordered a second one using the Black Friday sale at HRO

N4KVE

My friend has one of these, & purchased it when it first came out. He uses it to listen to a digital trunked Motorola system. He says it works great. However he lives & works within 2 miles of the transmitter site. He has never tried it 25 miles away to see how it would really work.

IowaGuy1603

My friend has one of these, & purchased it when it first came out. He uses it to listen to a digital trunked Motorola system. He says it works great. However he lives & works within 2 miles of the transmitter site. He has never tried it 25 miles away to see how it would really work.

I am sitting at my house 20 miles from a P25 digital site and hearing everything just fine with the stock ducky.800mhz

25 miles from a conventional system, with 155 mh

15 miles from a conventional 460 mhz system

all 3 in the same scanlist

GreenMac

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting! I just ordered my 800 and payed $50 less than the other lowest price I had found, and with free shipping!

Tried HamCity.com a few days ago, good price but they said stock wasn't coming until March. Glad I saw this thread.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Eric thanks for your posting I am also need one. A few days ago I found a new one at $329 but I waited a day and now gone. I was looking at mobilepc.com
Can anyone out there find a new PSR800 at $329?
Thanks
Walt

For what it's worth...I just purchased an 800 through ebay from mobilepc. Works great. It appears brand new and never been used (other than opening the box). Comes with all the accessories that would normally come in the box. But, I sent a best offer of $299 and it was accepted. So with shipping it was only $305 and some change. Got it within 3-4 days.

AirScan1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well that's is one way to beat the high of digtal scanners
does it fit your buget?
if so go for it

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth...I just purchased an 800 through ebay from mobilepc. Works great. It appears brand new and never been used (other than opening the box). Comes with all the accessories that would normally come in the box. But, I sent a best offer of $299 and it was accepted. So with shipping it was only $305 and some change. Got it within 3-4 days.

Wow, what a deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.