RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 8:27 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,349
Default Price increases

Something seems a little strange with GRE's recent problems. Usually when a product is discontinued, the price is reduced to clear out stock. But with GRE's products, at least some of their scanners, the price is increasing. This would seem to indicate that there is a demand for GRE scanners. I really believe that GRE is done marketing their scanners but I also wouldn't be surprised to see their brand name bought by another smaller manufacturer. They may be in negotiations at this time and that is the reason for their official silence regarding their future. I sincerely hope this is the case.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 8:37 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 11,438
Default Price increases

I'm only of a price jump from one dealer... Are you seeing more?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 9:54 AM
n8zcc's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oakland, Michigan
Posts: 190
Default

I think the price increases are limited to the PSR-800 which from my understand is the only P25 Phase 2 capable scanner. With some areas implementing Phase 2 the PSR-800 demand has increased and in the supply pipe there are no PSR-800s.

I have not read anything that indicates GRE is done or the PSR-800 is discontinued. From what I understand, GRE is looking for a new source to build its radios.

Almost overnight most dealers ran out of PSR-800 stock (I don't know what triggered that) and the few that had inventory raised the price to $500 or more. The only two dealers that I know of that have stock is Universal and AES. A week ago, these were selling for $419 from both of these dealers.
__________________
73 de n8zcc

Bytes are cheap so drop those acronyms.

Last edited by n8zcc; 01-31-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
dkf435's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sweet Home/Foster OR
Posts: 359
Default

Well on 1/28/2013 Universal had a radio on the used list, stock #D312 with serial 008098 fot $389 and on 1/30/2013 its price is now $449 pretty good jump for radios that we still do not know what their future will be.

David Kb7uns
__________________
AR3k,AR5k,AR8k,AR82k,AR86k,SDU5k,SDU55k,ARD25 R10,R20,R71,R72,R75,R7k,R71k,R85k, PCR1k,PCR25k,R2500 PSR500,PSR600,PSR800 RS26,94,97,2035,2055,106,197 760xlt,245XLT, 796D,996T,996XT,396T,396XT,HP1,HP1E
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
RonnieUSA's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rowan County,KY (Morehead)
Posts: 1,567
Default

ScannerMaster is charging $599.95 for the 800.

GRE PSR-800 Police Scanner
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-197 - Win500
NooElect R820T SDR & DVB-T x2 - SDRSharp
BCT15X - FreeSCAN
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jones County Iowa
Posts: 932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8zcc View Post
I think the price increases are limited to the PSR-800 which from my understand is the only P25 Phase 2 capable scanner. With some areas implementing Phase 2 the PSR-800 demand has increased and in the supply pipe there are no PSR-800s.

I have not read anything that indicates GRE is done or the PSR-800 is discontinued. From what I understand, GRE is looking for a new source to build its radios.

Almost overnight most dealers ran out of PSR-800 stock (I don't know what triggered that) and the few that had inventory raised the price to $500 or more. The only two dealers that I know of that have stock is Universal and AES. A week ago, these were selling for $419 from both of these dealers.
It's no difference than trying to buy an AR-15 style rifle right now with all the "gun ban' talk.

Supply vs Demand
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Ronaldski's Avatar
Mid-MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay City MI
Posts: 1,343
Default

There is such a high demand for digitals these days as many areas moved to it with the narrowband mandate . I know my area saw four counties switch in the last six months, three of those just in December., I mean check ebay prices, they are going relatively high with 20-40 bids constantly and with gre not making radios not much of a supply. Radio shacks sold out, not able to get radios in despite that they have that sale going on?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Blackink's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy1603 View Post
It's no difference than trying to buy an AR-15 style rifle right now with all the "gun ban' talk.

Supply vs Demand
Or no difference in trying to buy a new Ford Mustang Shelby model. At my local Ford dealership the suggested retail price is $53,000.00. They have only one.
But because the Shelby model will no longer be made, they upped the price an additional $25,000.00 and called it an added "Street Value" ! Whoa!
__________________
Steve in Vermont
Uniden BC125AT
Uniden BCT15X - FreeSCAN - ST-2 Antenna by Antennacraft
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 2:36 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj View Post
Usually when a product is discontinued, the price is reduced to clear out stock.
But that is often when a product is being replaced with a newer model. You get the old model off the shelf and put a newer one in its place. GRE's issues are a little different - there's nothing to replace the existing products with.

As another person alluded to, eBay prices seem to be going up as well. And it seems to be affecting virtually all models of digital scanners, old and new.
__________________
Mike
RS PRO-18, RS PRO-197, RS PRO-2052
Fire & EMS feeds: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/527 & http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/3331
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 6:53 PM
Dann's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Battle Ground,WA
Posts: 465
Default

HRO Did A Price Jump Also.
__________________
Scanning South West Washington And The Portland Metro Area
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 7:17 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Preble County Ohio
Posts: 64
Default

Maybe GRE can't outsource production and maintain the previous price point, so they may be testing the waters
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 7:43 PM
NWI_Scanner_Guy's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northwest Indiana (Hammond)
Posts: 1,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredva View Post
But that is often when a product is being replaced with a newer model. You get the old model off the shelf and put a newer one in its place. GRE's issues are a little different - there's nothing to replace the existing products with.

As another person alluded to, eBay prices seem to be going up as well. And it seems to be affecting virtually all models of digital scanners, old and new.
There's a listing for an 800 on eBay for a 'buy it now' price of $350. Even though I already have one, if I had an extra $350 laying around, I'd be snatching that baby up in a heartbeat.

There are also two others listed. One is an auction, the other is 'buy it now' for $469.

I've noticed that there hasn't been as many listed on eBay as there had been in the past. Guess more people are hanging on to theirs.

__________________
I have a lot of radios...too many nowadays to list
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 7:55 PM
dkf435's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sweet Home/Foster OR
Posts: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideScannerGuy View Post
There's a listing for an 800 on eBay for a 'buy it now' price of $350. Even though I already have one, if I had an extra $350 laying around, I'd be snatching that baby up in a heartbeat.

There are also two others listed. One is an auction, the other is 'buy it now' for $469.

I've noticed that there hasn't been as many listed on eBay as there had been in the past. Guess more people are hanging on to theirs.

Not anymore

Thank You for the tip .....SOLD

David Kb7uns
__________________
AR3k,AR5k,AR8k,AR82k,AR86k,SDU5k,SDU55k,ARD25 R10,R20,R71,R72,R75,R7k,R71k,R85k, PCR1k,PCR25k,R2500 PSR500,PSR600,PSR800 RS26,94,97,2035,2055,106,197 760xlt,245XLT, 796D,996T,996XT,396T,396XT,HP1,HP1E
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2013, 9:36 PM
NWI_Scanner_Guy's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northwest Indiana (Hammond)
Posts: 1,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf435 View Post
Not anymore

Thank You for the tip .....SOLD

David Kb7uns
You're very welcome. Glad to have been of service.

__________________
I have a lot of radios...too many nowadays to list
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2013, 4:13 AM
Boatanchor's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: A state of flux :-)
Posts: 524
Default

Actually, in a way, this kind of bodes well for the likes of Uniden and GRE..
i.e The old supply and demand thing happening..
Obviously, the demand is there for high end digital scanners, so Uniden must be busting their chops to release a PSR800 competitor (unless they too are looking to exit stage left).
Personally, I've got $'s burning a hole in my pocket, but I won't be parting with any more 'hard earned' until someone releases a software defined scanner that can be upgraded with some of the other common digital modes and I have some confidence that the product will be supported well into the future.

I'm not so sure about parting with $600 for what might be an orphaned (love that term in this context) product.
__________________
What can go wrong, will inevitably go wrong!

FuncubeDonglePro+ / DSDPlus - IC-R7100 - BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - BCD436HP, TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)

Last edited by Boatanchor; 02-01-2013 at 4:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2013, 4:27 AM
RonnieUSA's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rowan County,KY (Morehead)
Posts: 1,567
Default

Here's one for $469.00 plus free shipping.

Ships to: Worldwide

PSR800 | eBay
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-197 - Win500
NooElect R820T SDR & DVB-T x2 - SDRSharp
BCT15X - FreeSCAN

Last edited by RonnieUSA; 02-01-2013 at 5:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions