Price increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackj

Something seems a little strange with GRE's recent problems. Usually when a product is discontinued, the price is reduced to clear out stock. But with GRE's products, at least some of their scanners, the price is increasing. This would seem to indicate that there is a demand for GRE scanners. I really believe that GRE is done marketing their scanners but I also wouldn't be surprised to see their brand name bought by another smaller manufacturer. They may be in negotiations at this time and that is the reason for their official silence regarding their future. I sincerely hope this is the case.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I'm only of a price jump from one dealer... Are you seeing more?

n8zcc

I think the price increases are limited to the PSR-800 which from my understand is the only P25 Phase 2 capable scanner. With some areas implementing Phase 2 the PSR-800 demand has increased and in the supply pipe there are no PSR-800s.

I have not read anything that indicates GRE is done or the PSR-800 is discontinued. From what I understand, GRE is looking for a new source to build its radios.

Almost overnight most dealers ran out of PSR-800 stock (I don't know what triggered that) and the few that had inventory raised the price to $500 or more. The only two dealers that I know of that have stock is Universal and AES. A week ago, these were selling for $419 from both of these dealers.

Last edited:

dkf435

Well on 1/28/2013 Universal had a radio on the used list, stock #D312 with serial 008098 fot $389 and on 1/30/2013 its price is now $449 pretty good jump for radios that we still do not know what their future will be.

David Kb7uns

IowaGuy1603

I think the price increases are limited to the PSR-800 which from my understand is the only P25 Phase 2 capable scanner. With some areas implementing Phase 2 the PSR-800 demand has increased and in the supply pipe there are no PSR-800s.

I have not read anything that indicates GRE is done or the PSR-800 is discontinued. From what I understand, GRE is looking for a new source to build its radios.

Almost overnight most dealers ran out of PSR-800 stock (I don't know what triggered that) and the few that had inventory raised the price to $500 or more. The only two dealers that I know of that have stock is Universal and AES. A week ago, these were selling for $419 from both of these dealers.

It's no difference than trying to buy an AR-15 style rifle right now with all the "gun ban' talk.

Supply vs Demand

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
There is such a high demand for digitals these days as many areas moved to it with the narrowband mandate . I know my area saw four counties switch in the last six months, three of those just in December., I mean check ebay prices, they are going relatively high with 20-40 bids constantly and with gre not making radios not much of a supply. Radio shacks sold out, not able to get radios in despite that they have that sale going on?

Blackink

It's no difference than trying to buy an AR-15 style rifle right now with all the "gun ban' talk.

Supply vs Demand

Or no difference in trying to buy a new Ford Mustang Shelby model. At my local Ford dealership the suggested retail price is $53,000.00. They have only one.
But because the Shelby model will no longer be made, they upped the price an additional $25,000.00 and called it an added "Street Value" ! Whoa!

fredva

Feed Provider
Usually when a product is discontinued, the price is reduced to clear out stock.

But that is often when a product is being replaced with a newer model. You get the old model off the shelf and put a newer one in its place. GRE's issues are a little different - there's nothing to replace the existing products with.

As another person alluded to, eBay prices seem to be going up as well. And it seems to be affecting virtually all models of digital scanners, old and new.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
But that is often when a product is being replaced with a newer model. You get the old model off the shelf and put a newer one in its place. GRE's issues are a little different - there's nothing to replace the existing products with.

As another person alluded to, eBay prices seem to be going up as well. And it seems to be affecting virtually all models of digital scanners, old and new.

There's a listing for an 800 on eBay for a 'buy it now' price of $350. Even though I already have one, if I had an extra $350 laying around, I'd be snatching that baby up in a heartbeat.

There are also two others listed. One is an auction, the other is 'buy it now' for $469.

I've noticed that there hasn't been as many listed on eBay as there had been in the past. Guess more people are hanging on to theirs.

:)

dkf435

There's a listing for an 800 on eBay for a 'buy it now' price of $350. Even though I already have one, if I had an extra $350 laying around, I'd be snatching that baby up in a heartbeat.

There are also two others listed. One is an auction, the other is 'buy it now' for $469.

I've noticed that there hasn't been as many listed on eBay as there had been in the past. Guess more people are hanging on to theirs.

:)

Not anymore

Thank You for the tip .....SOLD

David Kb7uns

Boatanchor

Actually, in a way, this kind of bodes well for the likes of Uniden and GRE..
i.e The old supply and demand thing happening..
Obviously, the demand is there for high end digital scanners, so Uniden must be busting their chops to release a PSR800 competitor (unless they too are looking to exit stage left).
Personally, I've got $'s burning a hole in my pocket, but I won't be parting with any more 'hard earned' until someone releases a software defined scanner that can be upgraded with some of the other common digital modes and I have some confidence that the product will be supported well into the future.

I'm not so sure about parting with $600 for what might be an orphaned (love that term in this context) product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.