GRE Scanner Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What's the issue with your GRE? Many times it can repaired locally if it's simple. ;)

n9zas

kb8rvp

Yeah shouldn't be an issue sending it to GRE. What is the issue you are having? I was just talking to a local ham radio store owner yesterday in my area and in the last shipment of PSR-800 scanners one had a line in the LCD screen and GRE replaced the screen and shipped it back with no issues and no charge.

Mike

Ghost4658

It is out of warranty and it is almost deaf on VHF still does fair on 800 the ant jack is ok no loose screw or anything like that.
Alignment and adjustment of the receiver needs to be set.
It was on a outside ant 5ft from a 25watt VHF transmitter ant and more than once the vhf radio was keyed up before the scanner was turned off and it would squeal like a pig.
And gre tech people told me about a year ago realignment of the receiver may fix it and i never got around to sending it in for that. And now GRE is gone or something. I have a service manual for the psr500 but I don,t have the Test Equipment Required to do the job.
So i was looking for some place that could do it.
Radio Shack service center in TX can NOT do realignment on a PRO106 and I have a PSR500 & a PRO106 doing the same thing very weak on VHF. And they are the same on the inside.

dgmaley

PSR500

As far as I know, GRE is still servicing their equipment on the West Coast. I got a warranty repair done on a PSR800 in January that took only two weeks. Recommend you go to greamerica.com and fill out an on-line service request form, then follow their instructions.
I would be surprised if just an alignment repairs your psr500. 25 Watts is a lot of RF for it to handle. These radios use separate front ends for vhf/uhf/800Mhz. Each front end uses pin diodes for fine tuning it. You may have popped one of these diodes.
I suspect that if you were to put this repaired radio back on the same antenna, you will pop it again.
BTW...
Is there a service manual available for the PSR800?

Dave..

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
I bought a used PSR500 and the RF performance was inferior to my Radio Shack unit.
I sent it to GRE for repair and there was no charge for aligning it to factory specs.
I did not claim it was still in warranty, nor was I asked.

kb8rvp

GRE service is still open and that is still the only thing they have open is service and support.

Good luck,
Mike

SquierStrat

Meh, kinda open. I know from past experience they used to be GREAT, but i filed a repair ticket with them on the 22nd, and have called 3 times, amd still cant even get an RMA number to send my scanner in yet. And its still under warranty

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Meh, kinda open. I know from past experience they used to be GREAT, but i filed a repair ticket with them on the 22nd, and have called 3 times, amd still cant even get an RMA number to send my scanner in yet. And its still under warranty

FWIW, I contacted GRE this week about purchasing replacement rubber key pads. The metal coating is coming off and most of them have little left. I got an email back saying that we're out of stock of those parts and to try back next month.

I understand that you can run out of parts from time-to-time, however when a manufacturer isn't making any more, being out of stock of parts becomes a little more omnious......

I have a gre psr 500 that has very weak volume. Gota send it some where, and had a place say that if much of anything wrong that very hard to get the parts now.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have a gre psr 500 that has very weak volume. Gota send it some where, and had a place say that if much of anything wrong that very hard to get the parts now.

Follow the advice about G&G.

Has your 500 been dropped by chance?
I had one with low volume and it turned out being a mechanical problem. The speaker cage had bent and did not allow the voice coil to move its full travel. It's been a while since that one but I was lucky and was able to straighten out the cage and it worked fine ever since.

The audio stage in those models is probably the most robust circuit in the entire radio.

Does it still work OK with the headphone jack? You can plug in an external speaker into the headphone jack and then ground the sleeve of the speaker plug to the BNC antenna jack ground to restore full volume to the headphone jack for a test. If that gives you normal volume into an external speaker, the problem is likely just the internal speaker itself. Doing that could also fix it if the headphone jack is not making a good connection across its internal switch.

Don't use headphones if you try shorting the plugs sleeve to the antenna jack as the high audio levels can blow out your eardrums and ruin your headphones before you can blink your eyes.
If you only have headphones, make sure you start with the volume all the way down and bring it up very slowly. Using an active NOAA weather channel is handy for doing this test or just open squelch (white noise) on an analog channel with no tones set.
You may need to pull the external speaker plug back out just enough to slip a small paperclip under it so it can connect to the sleeve and the antenna connector.
Usually a fine single strand of wire from a small gauge multi stranded wire is better. Wrap that around the sleeve where it meets the rubber or plastic strain relief and then plug that in and touch the other end to the antenna sockets ground while listening to your audio level.
I don't remember how common the speakers were in the PSR500 but it could be a very simple fix.

Follow the advice about G&G.

Has your 500 been dropped by chance?
I had one with low volume and it turned out being a mechanical problem. The speaker cage had bent and did not allow the voice coil to move its full travel. It's been a while since that one but I was lucky and was able to straighten out the cage and it worked fine ever since.

The audio stage in those models is probably the most robust circuit in the entire radio.

Does it still work OK with the headphone jack? You can plug in an external speaker into the headphone jack and then ground the sleeve of the speaker plug to the BNC antenna jack ground to restore full volume to the headphone jack for a test. If that gives you normal volume into an external speaker, the problem is likely just the internal speaker itself. Doing that could also fix it if the headphone jack is not making a good connection across its internal switch.

Don't use headphones if you try shorting the plugs sleeve to the antenna jack as the high audio levels can blow out your eardrums and ruin your headphones before you can blink your eyes.
If you only have headphones, make sure you start with the volume all the way down and bring it up very slowly. Using an active NOAA weather channel is handy for doing this test or just open squelch (white noise) on an analog channel with no tones set.
You may need to pull the external speaker plug back out just enough to slip a small paperclip under it so it can connect to the sleeve and the antenna connector.
Usually a fine single strand of wire from a small gauge multi stranded wire is better. Wrap that around the sleeve where it meets the rubber or plastic strain relief and then plug that in and touch the other end to the antenna sockets ground while listening to your audio level.
I don't remember how common the speakers were in the PSR500 but it could be a very simple fix.

It also seems like its not receiveing , buts that probly because of the low volume. Thanks for the great information about this problem. I did not think to try headphone jack. Never have used it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It also seems like its not receiveing , buts that probly because of the low volume. Thanks for the great information about this problem. I did not think to try headphone jack. Never have used it.

Ok, good luck with it and I hope it is something simple!

Ok, good luck with it and I hope it is something simple!

I sent the scanner off and they charged me 60 to say it has low sensitivity and they cant fix it cause gre is outa business. If you no a company that can fix and will, let me no. But im not sending off again unless they can fix.

Got my psr 500 back from G@G communications like brand new. Was worth the wait. Gerry from G@G is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.