Understanding Trunked Radio Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhatnick

Can someone help me to be better understand "Site Names" features when turned on using a PSR-800?

Using the advanced options, I've turned on site names so during a Rx the scanner alternates between the title of the trunked radio network and the site name, but the site names displayed usually are hundreds of miles away and I'm only using a RadioShack 800mhz rubber ducky on top of my PSR-800.

My first assumption is that the site named is where the transmission is originating from, but when monitoring highway patrol, I don't understand why a unit would be responding locally but using a tower 100 mi away when there are many more closer.

In case it helps, I'm monitoring North Carolina's VIPER statewide trunked radio network. Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Site names

Off hand I would say a control channel from another part of the state is the same as a control channel near you. So when the scanner stops on that frequency it's named as the far site so it displays that name. If you press scan sooner or later it will stop on the other control frequency named correctly and you'll get tha same traffic. Try locking out all the site that you know you can't hear from your location and this will work fine. You'll need to lock them out via EzScan software.

Can someone help me to be better understand "Site Names" features when turned on using a PSR-800?

Using the advanced options, I've turned on site names so during a Rx the scanner alternates between the title of the trunked radio network and the site name, but the site names displayed usually are hundreds of miles away and I'm only using a RadioShack 800mhz rubber ducky on top of my PSR-800.

My first assumption is that the site named is where the transmission is originating from, but when monitoring highway patrol, I don't understand why a unit would be responding locally but using a tower 100 mi away when there are many more closer.

In case it helps, I'm monitoring North Carolina's VIPER statewide trunked radio network. Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.