Help find the reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swave08

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

So received a second PSR800 today. Went into EZScan and literally copied everything over from my original PSR800 to the new one. Uploaded the configuration and library. Trying to figure out why the scanner on the right (attached pic which is the original PSR) has the letter 'T' (which means its reading control channel I understand) yet the new scanner on the left doesn't display the T. I've compared all settings and they seem to be the same.

Am I doing something wrong here? Would like to make an exact mirror copy of the original PSR800

Thanks for any insight and help!

Attachments

• Scanner.JPG
    Scanner.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 650

swave08

Premium Subscriber
Well I think so. DSP and firmware are the same. I mean it should be the exact same as the other scanner no?

ilgrant

The latest EZ scan software will check for updates. I haven't played around with mine enough but I think you can compare the firmware versions with the menu key.

Have you tried swapping the antennas or verify that the antenna the new radio is connected to is working?

scosgt

Update the firmware. Open the squelch.
Turn off ATT.
Go through the settings menu one at a time and make sure they all match.

swave08

Premium Subscriber
I honestly have tried everything. I've made sure all updates are current, i've adjusted the squelch, I just can NOT get it to read a control channel of a trunking system. Extremely frustrating. Any further ideas?

swave08

Premium Subscriber
Im wondering if perhaps the antenna is disconnected on the inside of the scanner? Could that happen you think?

swave08

Premium Subscriber
Ive used the same antenna for both, sorry should of answered that before.

scosgt

What he means is, sometimes with a BNC antenna the ground shield on the inside of the case gets disconnected from the twisting motion of putting the antenna on and off.
Open the case and inspect it with a glass.
I have had to re-solder that bad boy on several scanners, up to the 996T.
If there is a problem you should be able to see it, the solder joint just breaks. It takes about 20 seconds with a soldering iron to cure it.

scosgt

Also, is there a strong local system you can tune just to make sure the scanner works?
I think NOAA is still off the air.

swave08

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing something has become disconnected from the BNC on the inside of the antenna. But if you look at the pic below, you'll see the problem....I can't remove this protective shield can I.

Attachments

• Scanner2.jpg
    Scanner2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 431

IowaGuy1603

I think NOAA is still off the air.

NOAA is loud and clear in Eastern Iowa

Can you hear ANYTHING on the scanner?..................

I'm guessing something has become disconnected from the BNC on the inside of the antenna. But if you look at the pic below, you'll see the problem....I can't remove this protective shield can I.

Other people have talked about re-soldering the connector.....................if you look around the GRE section it should be there (how to do it)

Last edited:

scosgt

It looks like that shield is ground. Can you see the connection for the center post?

swave08

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys...so I firmly believe that the end result here is the RF receive is toast. I ran continuity through the antenna and it did flow. Scanners toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.