RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 2:11 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_herbert View Post
Uniden is making an announcement on November 16th however they've already said no new scanners before Christmas; Whistler announced on their Facebook page they will make available their new line of scanners sometime during the first quarter of 2014.
Well..that's not what I wanted to hear. Thanks for responding though.
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

LOL, does no one actually read these threads? All the info is in the earliest postings. The rest is guesswork, hopes, prayers, and reposting of the original datum. Whistler: First 3 months of next year. No surprise hey we got this and this and this announcements, they already did that with the initial information. No teasers, just outright "we are making scanners beginning with what GRE left off with *with some changes*" Uniden, as they have for years now, will hit you with the first announcements because there is no hiding FCC releases, no matter how much you pay the guy at the office to STFU. Then comes the "teaser trailers" if you will... Then big announcement. Then a few months later, the actual product. For a couple of years there was no real rush to pop out new scanners. It is a relatively small niche market right? And there was no competition making new toys. Now the race is back on. Its a good thing too. I like both Uniden, and loved GRE. Now that Whistler has GRE's stuff, and adding their own touches thus creating an unique scanner line, I am almost excited about things again. Of course they will seal the deal with RS, if RS is still a business lol..... And once again you will have the 3 brands to choose from. Uniden's BC's, Whistler's own, and the RS PRO's manufactured by both of them...

Last edited by milf; 11-04-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It is exciting to imagine what may be available from the three brands next year. I think it’s good to support all scanner manufacturers as much as possible. In past years, some of Radio Shack’s on-sale prices were irresistible (I got a Pro-106 at almost half price), and I hope we will see that again. Competition is definitely a good thing.
Old 11-04-2013, 1:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
LOL, does no one actually read these threads? All the info is in the earliest postings. The rest is guesswork, hopes, prayers, and reposting of the original datum.

I was hoping I missed something and there was a leak, surprise announcement, etc. about new scanners coming out.
Old 11-05-2013, 2:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone high atop the redwoods of Venus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter900 View Post
Perhaps Whistler will bring out a pre-programmed State selectable model for novice users. This would be a GRE first as they never offered one.
HMMMMMMM... I thought that both the PSR700 & PSR800 scanners were basically "pre-programmed" scanners with their `on-board' via the SD `cards' w/ the DB? Though to really get down to the `real nitty-gritty' the included software is the `best' way to go as it does make it easier than scrolling through the DB via the radio's onboard software. Not to mention the included software also give one access to some `fine-tuning' features easier, too.

Quote:
I would also like to see screen color choices as a new option in their new scanner line, as this would also be a first for a GRE product.
Now that *might* be `interesting' but, not all that much of a `new feature' to be considered to be an `earth shaking' `new feature' to some. At least for me I'd consider it to just be a minor `tweak'. Of course another `tweak' that *I'd* find a tad bit more `interesting' would be for them to extend the *range* of the illumination level adjustment. At night in a dark room, eg: lessay a bedroom, the current `low' setting is just to danged bright! (I'm a bit of a `Flashaholic' and my `go to' flashlight's low setting is less than 1 lumen which is close to the level of light one would experience on a moonlight less starry night. I kinda like being able to keep as much of my `night vision' as possible. {VB GRIN!}) *If* they could get the lighting of the display to adjust down to that I'd definitely be tempted to buy that scanner even if everything else was still basically a `re-badged' PSR800 like my current PSR800s.

Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2013, 5:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun Co Virginia

I am just hoping that Whistler will make a PSR 800 or something like one (opposed to just picking up the RadioShack PRO line). I will probably need a new scanner sooner or later so I will take a `re-badged' at this point.

A stopped clock is wrong most of the day!
Old 11-05-2013, 5:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownlab View Post
I am just hoping that Whistler will make a PSR 800 or something like one (opposed to just picking up the RadioShack PRO line). I will probably need a new scanner sooner or later so I will take a `re-badged' at this point.
You mean like they've already announced they are going to do in Q1 of 2014?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun Co Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
You mean like they've already announced they are going to do in Q1 of 2014?
yes,,,,,,

A stopped clock is wrong most of the day!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have not seen an announcement from Whistler that they will be making an "800 like scanner in Q1", can you post the link? The announcement I read was non-specific about their model line up>
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lep View Post
I have not seen an announcement from Whistler that they will be making an "800 like scanner in Q1", can you post the link? The announcement I read was non-specific about their model line up>

I second the motion. Post a link, garys.
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R
Old 11-06-2013, 1:27 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz86 View Post
I second the motion. Post a link, garys.
Take a look at this post and the second link.
Old 11-06-2013, 2:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Since neither you nor pinballwiz86 have the ability or inclination to do your own research, I'll send you the link. Notice the picture of a PSR 800 and this quote,

Quote:
What will set Whistler ahead of the pack is to manufacture something comparable to the PSR 800 and sell it at a reasonable price.
Whistler Group aquires GRE scanner line
Old 11-06-2013, 2:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Quote:
Since neither you nor pinballwiz86 have the ability or inclination to do your own research, I'll send you the link. Notice the picture of a PSR 800 and this quote,

Actually I am aware of ALL these quotes but if you think they are statements by Whistler they will be making the GRE 800 you are indulging in a lot of wishful thinking or reading between the lines. They company president doesn't actually say that at all. And, the picture is just something provided by the newspaper to illustrate the article. Don't get me wrong, I HOPE that Whistler will indeed make the 800 and/or 900 or even improved models. But the manufacturer seems to be just reassuring the potential buyers hey "wait around, we have something coming along in the future."
Old 11-06-2013, 2:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I believe this has already been said, but I would bet good money that their first products will just be rebadged GRE's. September 2013 to Q1 2014 is an awfully short time to develop completely new products.

But I could be wrong.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 11-06-2013, 3:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'd be surprised if you weren't right. They are going to produce new versions of some of the RS scanners and new versions of the GRE stuff. What would surprise me would be if among the first products released weren't the PSR 800 and maybe the PSR 900. Those were GREs top end products and demand for them is still pretty high. It would also be interesting to know what might have been in the pipeline at GRE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I believe this has already been said, but I would bet good money that their first products will just be rebadged GRE's. September 2013 to Q1 2014 is an awfully short time to develop completely new products.

But I could be wrong.
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2013, 3:55 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

LOL.

I hope the PSR-800 is first in line.

Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R
Old 11-07-2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Actually I am aware of ALL these quotes but if you think they are statements by Whistler they will be making the GRE 800 you are indulging in a lot of wishful thinking or reading between the lines. They company president doesn't actually say that at all. And, the picture is just something provided by the newspaper to illustrate the article. Don't get me wrong, I HOPE that Whistler will indeed make the 800 and/or 900 or even improved models. But the manufacturer seems to be just reassuring the potential buyers hey "wait around, we have something coming along in the future."
BULL
They stated they are going to have a Phase 2 scanner. That is the 800.
Old 11-07-2013, 7:56 PM

Quote:
I'd be surprised if you weren't right. They are going to produce new versions of some of the RS scanners and new versions of the GRE stuff. What would surprise me would be if among the first products released weren't the PSR 800 and maybe the PSR 900. Those were GREs top end products and demand for them is still pretty high. It would also be interesting to know what might have been in the pipeline at GRE.
That is exactly what they will be. Nothing wrong with that. Demand is high.
Old 11-07-2013, 8:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
That is exactly what they will be. Nothing wrong with that. Demand is high.
Of course. As I mentioned earlier in the thread (I think it was this one), maybe a new, more stylish case, and improvements to EZ Scan. And of course the PSR900.

Hopefully, by the time Whistler is in production, we'll have a good idea of what features the new Unidens have and we'll have choices.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Default Whistler scanners

For those of you who haven't been into scanners forever, you may not know that Whistler made scanners back in the 1970's. And, they had some that were unique at that time, but not widely seen. They were not a "major" maker at that time, when Radio Shack and Bearcat were the big names. There was also Pace, Uniden (before they merged with Bearcat), and several other brands.

Tags
whistler