Whistler/GRE Low End Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I have a bad feeling about Whistler buying GRE. We're all waiting for the announcement. But we're not going to see the PSR-800.

So far, all they've announced is low end scanners. They expect to sell those. When they don't...goodnight sweet prince.

I really want the PSR-800 but I bet $100 it'll never happen. Whistler isn't known for high end electronics. I know they want to expand into radios as its a logical next step...but it'll be cheap stuff.

My 2 cents.

Discussion.

fredva

Feed Provider
Did you read the interview with the company VP in which she talked about bringing out new products?

I would not classify the PRO-197/PRO-106 as "low end scanners" just because they don't do Phase 2. Not when there are $50 scanners that do much less being sold.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Did you read the interview with the company VP in which she talked about bringing out new products?

I would not classify the PRO-197/PRO-106 as "low end scanners" just because they don't do Phase 2. Not when there are $50 scanners that do much less being sold.

The Pro-197 and Pro-106 ARE the new products. New to them making them. But they're old technology now.

Why would they release them? Because exactly that reason. They're cheap to make. If Whistler is smart they'll try to push Wal-Mart to stock them next to their radar detectors.

But, I won't be buying those old RadioShack scanners. If they re-release the P25 scanner I'll be first in line.

SquierStrat

I have a bad feeling about Whistler buying GRE. We're all waiting for the announcement. But we're not going to see the PSR-800. So far, all they've announced is low end scanners.

Maybe radio shack has announced these "low end" scanners, but the Whistler group hasnt announced any scanners yet...
Whistler Group aquires GRE scanner line - Philadelphia In Pictures | Examiner.com
the psr800 seems to be the main topic in this article. It even says, and i quote "The hottest product on the market was the PSR 800 which was the only scanner capable of decoding TDMA type 2 transmissions." and "Whistler does not intend to be a bystander in this market, we are jumping in with both feet""
the article even says towards the end "There are new scanners being made , so if the first that we make do not have what you want,there will be more coming"

granted, they cant confirm or deny weather they will be making a product like the psr 800, but judging by the language in that entire article. it seems pretty hopeful..

Last edited:

IowaGuy1603

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber

They're poverty digital scanners compared to the PSR-800 and Uniden BCD396XT. The reason 106 +197 are marked up is because they're discontinued models. Look at how much the discontinued GRE scanners are going for.

SquierStrat

They're poverty digital scanners compared to the PSR-800 and Uniden BCD396XT. The reason 106 +197 are marked up is because they're discontinued models. Look at how much the discontinued GRE scanners are going for.

They're not marked up at all. $399.99 has been their base price for quite some time now. They just havent gone on sale in a while.. It's funny you call them "poverty" scanners, while you dont call the bcd396xt that, considering they're each others equivalent. (The HP-1 would be the PSR800s equivalent)

garys

Premium Subscriber
They're not marked up at all. $399.99 has been their base price for quite some time now. They just havent gone on sale in a while.. It's funny you call them "poverty" scanners, while you dont call the bcd396xt that, considering they're each others equivalent. (The HP-1 would be the PSR800s equivalent)

My Pro 197 does just about everything that my 396XT and 996XT do. It just does it differently. The only flaw in the Pro 197 is the volume control. Why they went with a linear taper instead of an audio taper I'll never understand.

I wouldn't consider a scanner that does all the types of trunking that the XT scanner do and has better P25 audio processing a low end or poverty scanner.

Uniden makes some lower end scanners as well as I recall. I think some of them might even have been sold under the RS brand at one time.

troymail

Silent Key
I am personally very encouraged that they are at least getting back into the manufacturing of (some) existing radios as a starting point. That alone is great news! Hell - it's even more amazing when you consider all the comments being made recently about Radio Shack being on it's last legs....

And then given the statement made in the article:

"Whistler does not intend to be a bystander in this market, we are jumping in with both feet"

sounds even better!

Perhaps they plan to revamp the PSR800 to be a blend of the PSR500 and PSR800 in that one of the key complaints from many people will be addressed before they start manufacturing a new "Whistler" unit -- one with a keypad.

I myself never really found this as being a huge limiting factor once you get familiar with the radio (PSR800)....

Let's give them a bit of time -- I already feel better than I did only 1-2 weeks ago - having about given up on any possible competition in the market. New models don't come out overnight.

Last edited:

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I'd love to see the PSR 800 back on the market ASAP as well but I like the move they're making. Start with a few of the other models and work out the bugs because I'm sure like anything there will need to be things that get worked out initially.
Once that's done move on to the PSR line (500/800 & maybe finally that 900?) before moving on to stuff they issue out new from them. It gives them time to get into the market with already established models while giving them time to work on new stuff at the same time. Not a bad move even if I wish they were quicker with the process.

IowaGuy1603

Uniden makes some lower end scanners as well as I recall. I think some of them might even have been sold under the RS brand at one time.

Yes they were

Prior to the inception of GRE-----most Radio Shack scanners were re branded Uniden's

I wouldn't consider a scanner that does all the types of trunking that the XT scanner do and has better P25 audio processing a low end or poverty scanner.
Neither would anyone else.......................well almost anyone

I'd love to see the PSR 800 back on the market ASAP as well but I like the move they're making. Start with a few of the other models and work out the bugs because I'm sure like anything there will need to be things that get worked out initially.
Once that's done move on to the PSR line (500/800 & maybe finally that 900?) before moving on to stuff they issue out new from them. It gives them time to get into the market with already established models while giving them time to work on new stuff at the same time. Not a bad move even if I wish they were quicker with the process.
Whistler is a proven brand...........................they have made many millions over the years selling electronic equipment. I am sure they have an inkling on how to make this acquisition work and how to make money doing so.......

I like the slow start and hope things will work out well for them and us

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I may be wrong, but what I *think* the OP is saying, is that he isn't interested in any "Whistler" scanners that are just reboxed PSR-500/600's or PRO-106/197's, which could be considered "old" technology.
He wants at least a PSR-800, or better, before he would consider purcashing one, but he feels that Whistler is more of a low-end marketer of consumer electronics, and not a leader like Uniden is and GRE was. He isn't optimistic of Whistler continuing to develop new models with more and more capability, over and above what is already out there. He feels they'll maintain the status quo, and manufacture models that aren't any more capable of what is already out there, the PSR-800 and HP-1 notwithstanding.
That's just my inference from his post/comments.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I have a bad feeling about Whistler buying GRE. We're all waiting for the announcement. But we're not going to see the PSR-800.

So far, all they've announced is low end scanners. They expect to sell those. When they don't...goodnight sweet prince.

I really want the PSR-800 but I bet $100 it'll never happen. Whistler isn't known for high end electronics. I know they want to expand into radios as its a logical next step...but it'll be cheap stuff.

My 2 cents.

Discussion.

Seems they will be marketing a P-25 Phase 2 Capable scanner.
http://forums.radioreference.com/co...nnounces-entry-into-radio-scanner-market.html

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I really want the PSR-800 but I bet $100 it'll never happen.

Whistler is proud to enter the scanning receiver business, picking up popular scanner models often characterized by hobbyists as easiest to program and use. Whistler scanners will include: handheld and desktop/mobile digital scanners with full keyboard, a handheld scanner with USA/Canada database built in, and two models of VHF/UHF non-trunking scanners. The assortment will include the first and only scanner that works on newer modulation protocols including P25-Phase II.

Pay up. :twisted:

scosgt

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I may be wrong, but what I *think* the OP is saying, is that he isn't interested in any "Whistler" scanners that are just reboxed PSR-500/600's or PRO-106/197's, which could be considered "old" technology.
He wants at least a PSR-800, or better, before he would consider purcashing one, but he feels that Whistler is more of a low-end marketer of consumer electronics, and not a leader like Uniden is and GRE was. He isn't optimistic of Whistler continuing to develop new models with more and more capability, over and above what is already out there. He feels they'll maintain the status quo, and manufacture models that aren't any more capable of what is already out there, the PSR-800 and HP-1 notwithstanding.
That's just my inference from his post/comments.

I think the 800 has a life expectancy in the market of at least 2-3 more years, at which point they may have a replacement with more features or capabilities.

Right now, it does everything that can be done on a scanner.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Yes they were

Whistler is a proven brand...........................they have made many millions over the years selling electronic equipment. I am sure they have an inkling on how to make this acquisition work and how to make money doing so.......

I like the slow start and hope things will work out well for them and us

That is my hope as well. But I've been burned twice by companies that have purchased where I had worked and had no idea what they were doing and destroyed everything. Completely apples to oranges but it always leaves me with a lingering doubt until it's proven wrong.
I don't think that will happen here though. I like the way it looks like they are going to go with this and I'm very hopeful they have success. Any way I can get myself a reasonably priced PSR-800 no matter what the name or model number is that's on it will be great news to me. I wish them well.

bear780ks

Well Guys we all have to have a little Faith that we might see those Higher End models come out from Whistler we all know a few months back we had nothing to work with Well except for Uniden) Now at Least with news we have something to forward too..

Status
Not open for further replies.