Quick import question, psr 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Quick question about using the ezscan importing feature for this radio:

When importing a trunk system, there is only the option to import to a scan list. The trunk system seems to default to the first system in the trunked radio systems tab. is there any way to change the location at the import, or do you just have to let it go into the first system so to speak, and then edit it from there?

KE5TLF

Not exactly sure what you mean but:
If it's the ID number you mean in the first column then no, there is no way to directly change that. Systems are listed in the order they are imported, and new ones are always added to the bottom of the list. Even if you previously deleted a system with a lower ID number.

If it's the default scanlist assignment you mean, you set that on the General Settings tab.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
the crux of the issue is that i'm trying to import certain sites out of a statewide system, and so i think it keeps stuffing new imports into the original import location. if i did do a completely different system then it follows what you described as being added at the bottom. so you answered the question i didn't ask! how cool is that, thanks!

as i am learning about all this stuff, i'm realizing i may be able to monitor more than i originally thought, so trying to parse out a statewide multi site system as mini sub systems across multiple imports is proving to be real cumbersome. anyhow, i get why the ID00001 keeps getting used for those 2nd and 3rd and 15th imports on the same system.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

There is a setting to change the default location this is on the front page of the program

Last edited:

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. i'm aware of that setting. i realize there is a default scan list, and the option to import to other scan lists. that's not the problem i was having. thanks though.

i cant really come up with a good way to word what i was doing and why i was confused. the statewide system is all one system and i was trying to treat individual sites out of that system as separate systems. it was the system ID in the trunked systems tab that i though one could have control over where the import landed. instead, the import just keeps the systems together is seems.

IowaGuy1603

I can't find them right now but there are several threads about importing a large statewide system...........

look at some of the back threads under the 800 on this forum and you should find out what you need to do

KE5TLF

Ah ok I think I understand now.

Assuming a clean start
Import the system with all TGs and whatever sites.
Refine that systems TGs however you like. (record, skip, L/O, options etc. etc.)
Copy, Copy, Copy, Copy....however many times you need
Go to each copy and edit site info as desired. (naming, freqs, etc.)
Select all (Ctrl + A) TGs in each copy and reassign scanlist number.

rwier

When asked which scanlist to import to, select none (no filled squares). The import will go into the "Unassigned Objects" scanlist. You can access that scanlist by (at the bottom of main screen) Scanlists .... then ... in the Scanlist "window" (upper left) scroll up to the top (before scanlist #1). You can then distribute what you find there to any (or multiple) scan list/s of your choice (Left Click inside the far right column ... the Scanlist column).

tilt404

I know what you mean and it drives me crazy too. Only way I deal with it is to duplicate the system after it added the newly imported site to an existing one on its own. Then in the duplicate, delete the original site, keeping the one you just imported. Then of course you have to deal with all the TGID's and remove the ones from the original site and keep the ones from the new site.

I don't know why that GRE software makes this such a pain to do.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
That link is to another posting of mine, too funny.

not selecting any scan list does import items into the unassigned scanlist but the 'system' still stays together in the trunked systems tab. if you try to take a statewide system with dozens of sites and try to build individual trunked systems, you cannot do it by import import only. you have to do it as indicated by tilt and KE5TLF: copy copy copy.

what i was confused on was the fact that my scan lists were filling up nicely, but everything was in one giant trunked system. for TGID management, being able to edit and select features in each system, ect gets to be tedious when its 15 sites with 1000 plus TGID's in one system. add to the fact that i drive through 3 counties on my daily commute, 3 different major trunked system coverage areas, its a challenge to get the system side of it tweaked, nevermind putting things into scan lists. its purely semantics and how i want to tinker; i could just as well let the import do its thing and let it all land in one system, but what fun would that be!

rwier

Ok, let me try another tack. This is a method I used for the notorious "Regional Wireless Cooperative" in Maricopa County, Arizona. Import the entire System (all Sites, all TGs) to the Unassigned List (This stops corruption of previous wanted ScanLists). In the TRS List find the new entry. Lock it out and change the name to something that will keep you from messing with it (I used "RWC(ALL)TABOO".

Then, over on the right select "Duplicate". Now I have two "RWC(ALL)TABOO" TRSs. Immediately RENAME one of them to a TRS that you desire. Then edit it by Deletions only (Sites and TGs) until you get to what you wanted to import before.

Repeat this process indefinitely (Duplicate, Rename, and Delete). I broke out 9 new TRSs from RWC, each having only 1 Site!!! This completely eliminates the dreaded Simulcast Site against Site HEADACHE.

Still a bit of work, but Delete beats Cut and Paste (for me).

Last edited:

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
WHOA nelly....

Thanks for everyone's reply's! I've got a solution that makes sense and works.

I went into the statewide system for an import, selected all my sites of interest- all of em....
selected essentially "state wide" services, state police, interops, ect. TGID's
that got plugged into ID00001, default scan list
i duplicated the system into ID00002 and renamed
deleted the TGID's from ID00001
second import, i went into the TGID's only for the first county wide selection, no sites
that imported into system ID00001 with the original sites, default scan list

presto, i have essentially achieved being able to utilize the import to segment out the massive statewide system.

out of that, i will parse it down by locking out towers and deleting TGID's as needed. In this example ill have to clean up the scan lists, but thats pretty easy to manage once everything is actually imported. i think this'll work...it probably sounds clunky, but its kind of a mix of everyone's input, thanks again!

KE5TLF

Without the STAT option from it's predecessors CLUNKY is the only may to manage multi site systems on this thing....sadly

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
well, a wiser man than me once said 'what you have is what you got'...

now i keep getting fatal errors on various v-scanners. i went bonkers last night importing and actively managing those selections. before i was importing a whole bunch then trying to sort it all out. so, as clunky as it is, its been better than everything i tried before. so, i think i'm going to reformat the SD card and do a fresh download after i get a bunch of useless v-scanners deleted. is the card provided by GRE any good? seems buggy to me. other SD cards i have dont seem to have miss loads of data, and now flat out not recognizing data...

zsteel55

grecom psr 800

I just bought a psr 800 and two police stations I listen to are on that digital pa 25 freq. now what I wanna know is does anybody know how I can decode them? because when they don`t want you to hear what there saying its like a busy signal of a telephone.my understanding is this scanner can decode. thanks!

tilt404

Its a pain at times, but I'd still take the PSR800 over any Uniden scanner. Since I switched to a new 32gb class 10 card I haven't had trouble, unlike the original card, but I was also learning back then so all my trouble could of been me. My new card just recently did get corrupted though and I lost everything on it. I couldn't even read it to get the stuff off it. So now I use two 32gb class 10 cards, and write to each one every time I use EZ Scan. So I always have a backup.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
The P25, or APCO25 standard, is just that, a standard. Like EDACS, or any other variety of trunked system types. Within that system there are ID groups that identify the entity on that system. You can have multiple departments on one trunked system. Some of those talk group ID's are encrypted and cannot be monitored on any scanner. The way the GRE product handles it is to displace a letter "E" at the top of the screen and give a busy tone.

There is a wealth of information regarding how these systems work and what it takes to monitor them. It is quiet a lot of reading and playing with the radio, but well worth taking the time to learn and understand. it will make for a much more pleasurable experience with these advanced radios. I basically knew nothing going into the purchase of my GRE, but through spending time reading the Wiki database, and searching through the frequency database to learn what department was on what system, i was able to make a lot of headway. once i ran into some hurdles, i was able to get help in the forums. I really recommend putting that time in, as once you ask questions in the forums it will make peoples answers, suggestion, and help in general easier to understand.

Edit: Tilt, sounds like a good idea. i was able to boot up on one v-scanner and hit menu before it crashed. then the next one that went bunk i would crash immediately. i pulled the card, formatted and did a fresh download for now until i get a bigger card. i am starting to use the data dump which has already filled up the card once.

edit edit: i've really gotten to like this radio better. i did at least get the message so to speak when researching that if you like to tinker the GRE was the way to go. the problem ive got now is that one of the simulcast systems is close by to home, but nearly unreadable unless i use a hi gain yagi. ideally id like to have a dedicated base for that situation, but GRE stuff is up in the air, uniden 996 would be an option, but do i wait to see what comes out in 2014....? ugh....

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I just bought a psr 800 and two police stations I listen to are on that digital pa 25 freq. now what I wanna know is does anybody know how I can decode them? because when they don`t want you to hear what there saying its like a busy signal of a telephone.my understanding is this scanner can decode. thanks!

off topic for this thread I think but the busy signal means Encrypted channel/activity -- nothing you can do about it --

Status
Not open for further replies.